A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Yamaha YDS7 250
BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1319
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 27, 2020 - 9:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dodging the rain yesterday 

26/07/2020), I managed to get a lot done. fitted the drive chain, rotor and Generator Stator, giving it a good clean.
Fitted the clutch cable, the oil tank and pipes and bled the whole system, I then remembered i didn't have the screws for the cover plate. I ordered a complete set along with some split pins and spring washers from mega packs. Then i cleaned the left silencer and fitted this, being as the exhaust is all in one the gasket on the barrel kept falling out, doing this on your own is not always the right way to go.
It is starting to take shape, it will be soon ready for me to apply for a dating cert.
I keep looking at the wiring and it is making me very nervous.
The other thing nagging me is the footrest bar, I'm not sure if i have fitted it the right way round . I keep looking at it and can't make my mind up.

Direct lighting Bantam wiring is so easy compared to this shakes nest of wiring that is lurking inside the headlight.

All the fun jobs are done now what is left are the technical jobs , timing, wiring, carb set up  that's two of every thing that need to be done spot on. Ive been undecided what to do with the petrol tank paint situation , it is painted in candy gold and black , it is in the original paint but very badly faded.

The inside of the tank is very rusty, in the past i have used the electrolysis method of cleaning out the inside then used por 15 to seal it. This time i'm going to try phosphoric acid , this will be useful to every one, i will let you know how i did this and the outcome.

canvas.png

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

D1 D3 D5 D7 Suzuki TS 125, Yamaha YDS7 250

colk2004
York.
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 692
July 27, 2020 - 10:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thats coming on nicely. Loved mine in my late teens, the pre reed valve power delivery on those things brings a smile to your face. Main thing I had with mine was doing the timing monthly as it lost its edge quite quickly and getting it bang on was key. It was a lot more finicky than the Suzuki gt250 ram air that replaced it. Have fun with yours.

Cheers Col

BSA Bantam D10 so so near, and moved up the list again. FB Falcon 87 reg number applied for. Ariel Arrow now on the go! MZ125 running, Royal Enfield Classic love it, campervan done to tow some of the above! 1.5 Velo LE in bits!

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
August 6, 2020 - 9:20 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

well thank you all for the replies.

A lot has happened since the last post, mainly a lot of head scratching trying to work out the cable runs and wiring, like the rest of the bike the PO had been at it again, cutting all the wires for no apparent reason, The good news is after a lot of testing, tracing and soldering I have a spark at both plugs, I invested in a dial gauge to set the timing up, this needed modify to fit, the adaptor was too long, it needed cutting back re drilling and taping, times like this a lathe would have been handy.

Onwards and upwards.

The timing is set a 2mm BTDC with the points set at 0.3 _0.4mm .

with these settings locked in I checked for a spark, only the right side was sparking, on closer inspection the points were not in a good condition, these were both replaced and set up again, still no joy. I replaced the coil and all is good.

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
August 6, 2020 - 9:26 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Petrol tank de rust, this is applies to Bantams as well, so if admin want to use it else were that is fine, was not sure about this.

I have tried various methods over the years but not this so thought i would give it a go.

Its my take on a method.

time to start on the petrol tank, the inside was very rusty. To start with i blew the inside out with the air line, a great big plume of rust flew out, i was not expecting to see such a large cloud of rust. I continued on with this method until the air coming out was clear.
Then it was time to get the two stroke leaf blower into action. the blowy end was put into the filler hole of the tank and given a good blast, the inside of the tank was looking much better.
Now it was time to get the phosphoric acid out observing the correct safety procedures.
I made a blanking plate to fit over the fuel tap outlet on the tank then filled the tank with most of the acid, fitted the fuel cap and gave the tank a good roll around side to side then end to end to make sure the acid covered every service. This was repeated every so often for a hour or so.
once the rust turned black i empted the acid out and left it to dry then gave it some more leaf blower treatment.
it is looking good, the tank has no leaks.
not sure if it now needs sealing with por 15 or not.
All this was done out doors well away from the house.
unfortunately i was videoing it but put the phone in a suitable position as i didn't want to get rust and acid on it but i forgot to press the record button.

acid.jpg

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3278
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
August 6, 2020 - 9:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, looking back at the 'as bought' photos I think you have done a great job - couldn't see the spark, but I'm sure we'll be able to hear the engine running before long. I don't think you need to seal the tank yet, the metal should have an inert coating left on it from the acid, did you rinse it out with plenty of water afterwards? You can always seal it later if any holes appear. tip-my-hat

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
August 6, 2020 - 10:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you it has certainly bin a journey, not easy to pick up the spark on the phone but it does have one. Yes I washed it out and blew it dry with the leaf blower, the methylated spirits was put it afterwards to help absorb any moisture left over.

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
August 6, 2020 - 11:41 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

... the methylated spirits was put it afterwards to help absorb any moisture left over.  

Ah - I thought it may have been to fortify you. wink whistle

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
August 13, 2020 - 3:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

cocorico said

Ah - I thought it may have been to fortify you. wink whistle  

needed some thing stronger than that. lol

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
August 13, 2020 - 3:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It finely runs, I had an issue with it not charging this turned out to be the regulator rectifier not working. I ended up ditching this and fitting a modern one, it now charges as it should.
I also had a problem with it smoking more on the left than the right, this was down to the little pipe that connects the two carbs together. i found it lying at the back of the engine. after much swearing while trying to get the rubber boots on the carbs i did not want to take them off again , i managed to fit the pipe with out taking the carbs off. This involved taking the petrol tank off unscrewing the right hand connector nipple, fitting the pipe to this and using a pipe clip to hold it in place then connecting the other end then screwing the nipple back in. In hind site it might have been quicker to remove one carb.
The carbs still need setting up as it take a lot of throttle to pull away.

A little video of it going.

** Please log in to view **

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
August 13, 2020 - 3:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Removing the petrol tank is not as easy as it sounds, there is a pipe that runs underneath it that connects the two side together so the tank needs to be drained down.

Mannanan
Leigh On Sea, Essex. Uk.
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 167
August 13, 2020 - 8:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, that balance pipe can be a pain every time you want to remove the tank. The old RD remedy was to cut that pipe and leave just two short stubs either side of the frame. Put a chain rivet in both ends of the remaining balance pipe, tighten around the rivet with a small jubilee clip to seal. Jobs a good un.

Option 2. Just fit a longer balance pipe and loop over the frame, not under it.

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
August 27, 2020 - 2:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The bike is running, really need to go for a run to set the carbs up. Yesterday i sent off the information for a dating letter so hopefully this will come back soon. I joined the Yamaha Air cooled club and used there services, I must admit there process for getting a dating certificate is a lot easier than getting one for the Bantam.

At the weekend i attended there rally which was at Derby, so far this year it is the only rally or event i have attended this year.

I was flying my BSA flag.

bsa-flag.jpg

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
August 27, 2020 - 2:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Don't know why the picture ended up up side down

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
August 27, 2020 - 9:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

BSAdave said
Don't know why the picture ended up up side down  

It's the state of the world in general at the moment, Dave. Good news on the Yam anyway.

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
September 14, 2020 - 9:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I got the dating letter and sent off all the paper work to the DVLA, I sent the whole lot off on September 3. I got the letter from them this Saturday 12th giving me the registration number in the letter it states the V5 will be another four weeks, I checked online and the bike is showing as taxed so i insured it and got a number plate made up.

What happened next ......

To be continued .

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: cocorico, goldenflash, Carl
14 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3278

Cornish Rooster: 3122