A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
MZ ETZ 125cc, bike of 1993 manufacture.
Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2512
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 8, 2019 - 10:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

** Please log in to view **

Four now on the road and at least several in bits.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 11, 2019 - 12:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have the full rights to reproduce my article wherever I wish, if anyone is wondering, the text had disappeared when I first looked tonight.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 13, 2019 - 11:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've got over quite a few faults with this bike already, I've got a new V5 in my own name for it, but not taken on public roads yet, solved a few issues and maybe created others, a long time thing that irritated me every time I tried to get engine going was rear parking light constantly glowing, not sure if it was an MOT failure, but front brake lever wasn't operating the brake light at all and the rear only occasionally.

I took the headlight off to find the front parking bulb blown, putting the voltmeter across the contacts I found 12 volts there, which immediately made me realise that bie probably uses the parking lights on in the daytime as a safety feature, but don't have a handbook to confirm that, I always think that you need parts book, handbook and a good workshop manual when carrying such work on any bike, not knowing what the normal running conditions of bike are can leave you in the dark - literally...

I put fresh chemical salts into the ultrasonic cleaner and plenty of water to fill it right up, carb also has been playing up, almost emptying what little fuel I left in tank overnight onto shed floor.

The dirt was rolling out within minutes.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 15, 2019 - 11:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Carb cleaned up a treat, but something wasn't right, old gasket finally tore as I absent mindedly caught it with the screwdriver.

Managed to find an £18, 4 ah, 12 volt battery to fit bike, last year I bought one of those 8ah 'alarm' sized ones and it was too big sideways to go in properly, had to sit on, not in, battery box effort.

Was glad when new floats came but a bit miffed when I found I'd left the earlier arriving new carb gasket at home.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 15, 2019 - 11:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My friend Jim today avered that this float is composed of expanded polystyrene, holey I agree, but I'd have thought that too flimsy. All three brass ones are useless, steam comes out of them in the ultrasonic cleaner on full heat.

Looks fine to me.

Got both Mzs out today, the 125 actually looks bigger and heavier than the TS 250. The long travel front forks for on/off road use probably have something to do with the height thing I think.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 15, 2019 - 11:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It fits nicely and looks the part, I used the 'foot' of my digital vernier gauge to get the 31 I think mm's height I needed.

I rememberred having a spare new carb gasket stored away for the TS250, so hopefully tried that on.

No go Joe...much too big.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 15, 2019 - 11:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I later had an errand that took me home and I took the opportunity to pick up the correct gasket, which has a triangular cut out for the choke area tube.

Whilst checking float height and doing adjustement I thought to check all jet settings, I'd bought a new kit and fitted it a few months prior, checking with Haynes I discovered I'd fitted the 120 main jet in place of the 70 choke fitting, reversing these after looking at the packet I still have which I put the old worn jets back into, I read the words to fit MZ ETZ 125/150 (!) How can one main jet be suitable for two different engines 50ccs apart? The 125 should have a 100 jet, according to Mr Haynes.

The last picture shows new carb gasket emptying the (meagre, thankfully) contents of the fuel tank all over the engine, stand and concrete.

I was hoping to remove the engine and repaint the black upper area one day, once I've got an MOT, I may well be able to sell it on, it's not a bad bike once going, but I've not had it on public roads just yet, a bit early then to be talking about a sale...

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 15, 2019 - 11:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Various thoughts ran through my mind, could I have overdone the ultrasonic treatment of the carb and caused a porous casting?

As things stood, I deferred judgement and simply put bike away, it's no good tearing out your hair in such situations, I had no other suitable gaskets and I knew gasket goo was no good either.

Tomorrow I could get myself organised and think my way out of the problem, sometimes it pays to not make things worse by attaching blame and trying to effect repairs when you don't actually have the means or acumen at the time to do so.

cocorico
Central France
Forum Posts: 2772
May 16, 2019 - 8:11 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Some data from my MZ published workshop manual. Main jet 100. Needle jet 70. Float chamber fuel level 12mm (+_1mm). Let me know if you need anything else,

The Bantam Club Forum - all the answers are in there.

SpacedMarine
Up north
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 326
May 16, 2019 - 3:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mags 1 said

Tomorrow I could get myself organised and think my way out of the problem, sometimes it pays to not make things worse by attaching blame and trying to effect repairs when you don't actually have the means or acumen at the time to do so.  

Know that feeling Mags hence the reason my rebuild has gone quiet 😉

I'm sure you'll sort it.

James. 

What's 7/16 in mm again?

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 16, 2019 - 10:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I must say that I'm impressed by folk's positive comments here, I put a request into ebay yesterday for a refund, they wanted me to print off one of their prepaid labels, which would cost me £3.11! Seller's postage I'd paid was 99p...

I cancelled that and sent words and pics of the twisted up gasket and today I was very glad to find an apology and a refund for the whole £3.98 in my account, there are still honest and straight traders on these sites believe it or not.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 18, 2019 - 10:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The state of the new gasket after removal the next day.

Back in the old days you simply got the scissors and hollow punches out.

Rushed the first one and it was a waste of material.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 18, 2019 - 11:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Took my time on the second one, but wasn't very confident, scissors refused to work properly around the sharp bends and I couldn't make my mind which side to hold them, top or bottom, both seemed wrong.

A fairly recent purchase was this set of hobby type knife blades and holder, about £15 from Aldi or Lidl, usual disclaimers.

I was glad of the thickness of the thin card material, I felt that anything thinner at times would have been torn.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 18, 2019 - 11:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

About the eighth time of trying it for fit and I was happy at last, put the three retaining screws in and except for trimming a little excess away on the outside, the new gasket was sealing well all around.

Left fuel tap switched on overnight and there wasn't a dign of dampness today.

Bike is jinxed perhaps, now I've got carb fixed, there's a good strong spark but bike won't fire even, yet another problem to look into now.

It's about this time that folk often wonder about purchasing something a bit more reliable perhaps, like a Honda...?

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 98

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

Anderzander: 3209

bart: 3137

Sprung Chicken: 2650

Mags 1: 2512