A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
kwaka 440 Lts Usa & Uk spec
Munchkin
Bedford
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 2218
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 20, 2018 - 4:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok so ive had to sort out the Usa blue kwaka, was popping from the right exhaust and sounds of flapping. Paid an alleged bike repairs company to sort it out, turns out the diaphragms needed replacing sliders and few other bits. Got the bike back low & behold the bike went nuts spluttering down the road, so took it back next day & they claimed to have sorted it, rode it home and it was spluttering like a chicken being choked, called them up told them its not sorted. Collected week later and got it back got down the road bike was banging sparks from the top left exhaust & loads fuel throwing out the left end exhaust. So took it home told them im not happy & wasted my cash. They said bring it back I said no, your not festering your filthy hands on my bike. 

So got my friend over to check the bike. 1 of the diaphgrams wasnt facing 12 o clock it was 12.15. Not good. so we adjusted it, checked the jets they had ruined the primary jet, they hadnt cleaned out the carb like they said they did so we ended up doing that & I ended up buying 2 sets of complete jet kits. So we continued to investigate, they hadnt put the vaccum valve in wrong it should have been flat towards the butterfly but no theyd had it at n angle, so we had to adjust that so that explained the petrol being thrown into the engine raw the bang & spark in the top of the exhaust and unused fuel through the rear.

Anyhow after careful deliberation my friend and i decided to sort it out ourselves, my friend is a good mechanic, so new jets, diapghrams everything even bolts on the outside of carb.  We even colour coded the timing all technical to me, I can only take in so much. But the blue bike is up & running, yes few niggly bits, its now popping from the carb, but im running it in to 100 miles keep checking the spark plug, think its missing a spark or whatever. But we will do a better job.

Now the black one needs new wiring loom, anyone know anybody who can sort that out for me funds aint rich so be nice if I can get one made.

Any advice ect bring it on. 

1951 D1 Bantam. 

1983 Kawasaki 440 Ltd USA

1981 Kawasaki 440 Ltd UK

There is now room for more bikes!!

cocorico
Central France
Forum Posts: 2764
July 20, 2018 - 6:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jeez Munchkin - how many mirrors have you broken? Everything seems to go wrong for you!

All I can suggest is that you keep your mechanic mate happy and try to pick up some tips from him. In the meantime don't rip the wiring loom from your new one if it actually works until you've found or made a replacement. Sealing a tank is an easy job you could do for yourself and it's not too expensive. Have a look at 'Slosh' on ** Please log in to view **

The Bantam Club Forum - all the answers are in there.

johnsullivan
east sussex
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 728
July 20, 2018 - 7:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

** Please log in to view ** very interesting site ,The prices are a bit eyewatering but realistic.There are looms on US ebay  but I cannot track down any in UK directly but a query to any of the breakers listing other 440 bits may yield results.What has gone wrong that makes you feel a new one is needed? If you are methodical a repair is practical.Nice bike the 440 well worth a bit of time,nothing like it on the market now.P.S inform trading standards about your cowboy repairer.

67 D10. and a D7    2007 Honda Hornet FA. 93 Yamaha TTR 250 Raid, Sinnis SC 125. 78 Honda 90  75 Montesa Cota 247 an electric scooter of Famous make.

Munchkin
Bedford
Forum User
Club Member
July 28, 2018 - 11:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks not ripping loom yet as i know an electrician who may if i play my cards right will make one up for me, reason for new loom is the one on bike has been cut so many times i dont think its safe. Plus someone decided to put the ignition/key in one of the side panels instead of up by handle bars where its safer and doesnt hurt my leg.

1951 D1 Bantam. 

1981 Kawasaki 440 Ltd UK

Munchkin
Bedford
Forum User
Club Member
August 8, 2018 - 8:22 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Turns out the pooping is from the top of the exhaust so new ring ordered.

1951 D1 Bantam. 

1981 Kawasaki 440 Ltd UK

Munchkin
Bedford
Forum User
Club Member
August 13, 2018 - 9:24 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So life is full of twists and turns, lessons still to be learnt, 3 companies have worked on this bike and all have done a shoddy job so far. Me not knowing any better, how the bike should have sounded thought it was ok. Turns out my so called friend who offered to help me with the bike was starting to demand payments. Not only were we picking them up dropping them off at home feeding them watering them, tea pimms ect. The nasty tones in their voice towards me when I asked if I could be of assistance. Constantly telling me to learn and do things for myself. So we did my daughter & I put new rings in the exhaust, only to find 3 rings squashed in the left side and replaced with new copper one. This turned out to be easy on both sides. Started bike up and theres a kinda spark & popping, and cold small cloud coming from left exhaust. I call up my friend instead of saying well done for trying, I was over come by abuse down the phone, allegations I was stopping them from earning money and doing things that I shouldnt be doing. And more ranting, got a ranting message from them through fb, telling me how selfish I was and my constantly complaining, no idea where that came from. All they had to say was well done you tried now let me come and sort it, yes they knew what the problem was.

I spoke to a friend and they agreed as a friend they shouldnt be charging, theyre not a business and theyre on benefits.  So I thought theres me just lost one of my customers who had recently passed away, yes my fault im now on a lot lower wage and cant afford to pay. 

Anyhow cut a long story short. I responded politely told them a few home truths about greed, benefit fraud earning money without notifiying DWP.

No I wont report them I should but I wont.  I have a friend who was there building KZ440s when they first come out, he wasnt impressed and was absolutely disgusted when told I was paying a 4th person to fix the issues with the same bike.  He is gonna pop over and try to sort the bike out. Well at least the carbs sorted cleaned new jets ect, colour tuned. Hopefully its just the ring on the exhaust need sorting.  Ive sorted the tank out yes the lump is still there in no hurry at moment as the blue bike is now sporting a black tank 🙂 I will get this bike sorted one way or another, then respray it myself. 

1951 D1 Bantam. 

1981 Kawasaki 440 Ltd UK

Munchkin
Bedford
Forum User
Club Member
August 20, 2018 - 7:56 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Right sorted out the exhaust just needed another ring in it to stop the spark, but another friend who was there building the 440s said its only firing on one cylinder so the other person didnt do their job properly.  My friend is gonna sort this out for me sometime next week as hes rebuilding his own bike. As for the lump in the tank he managed to grab hold of it and its larger than the petrol hole so we cant get it out. see photo, he managed to knock a piece off and other bits came out. so as the tank has a dent in it and needs brazing, he suggested getting it professionally cut open & resealed get that lump out once and forever then respray the tank. Keep you all updated.lump.jpg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

1951 D1 Bantam. 

1981 Kawasaki 440 Ltd UK

johnsullivan
east sussex
Forum User
Club Member
August 20, 2018 - 5:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bedford College have motorcycle maintenance courses.** Please log in to view **

67 D10. and a D7    2007 Honda Hornet FA. 93 Yamaha TTR 250 Raid, Sinnis SC 125. 78 Honda 90  75 Montesa Cota 247 an electric scooter of Famous make.

Munchkin
Bedford
Forum User
Club Member
August 20, 2018 - 9:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi John yes thanks for that. It starts in Feb 2019 just down the road from me.

Does anyone know where I can get a complete wiring loom for a 1981 z440Ltd UK spec belt drive.

1951 D1 Bantam. 

1981 Kawasaki 440 Ltd UK

johnsullivan
east sussex
Forum User
Club Member
August 21, 2018 - 9:38 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I suspect the only way to hunt one down is the E Bay message to seller system.From what I can gather very few of these were sold.The College instructor may however be able to help..he may consider the refurbishment of a loom a suitable project for his vocational students.the classic scene is a growing area of automotive employment .He will have I am sure trade contacts too.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2508
August 21, 2018 - 6:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

There used to be a "I want it now" feature on ebay, if it's still up and running you could try that.

If you contact any of the big bike scrappers you'll find they're mostly linked to each other and a wanted ad. is free with them, which can be combing the country for rare parts, just a thought.

Four now on the road and at least several in bits.

johnsullivan
east sussex
Forum User
Club Member
August 21, 2018 - 7:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Japarts galore probably a good place to start.Your lump looks like a failed sealing attempt with a poly  varnish which is a pain to dissolve diesel may work.Two Wheel Spares in Stoke are advertising ltd tanks  so a call to see if they have a loom may be worth the time.

johnsullivan
east sussex
Forum User
Club Member
August 21, 2018 - 8:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

** Please log in to view ** .May or may not be right ?Ring them and establish if they wiill take it back.

Munchkin
Bedford
Forum User
Club Member
August 24, 2018 - 9:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks John yes ive seen those looms, some are not complete and being sold as parts or not working. Good idea about the college guy il have to wait till next year.

As for the tank a friend put feelers out and someone mentioned Kempston Radiators which is just down the road from me, I checked his website and yes they do motorbike tanks. took it in at first he said he couldnt take it in as he had 18 other tanks to do and that will take at least 2 months. I sad no problem its just gonna sit in the garage il pick it up in 2 months. He was ok about it, hes gonna open up the tank remove that big lump of sealant. derust and reseal inside, do the brazing. and sort out that dent all for £175. Yea I know its alot of cash, but it would be the same price for another tank but with alot more damage to it.

Thanks Mags will check that idea out.

1951 D1 Bantam. 

1981 Kawasaki 440 Ltd UK

johnsullivan
east sussex
Forum User
Club Member
August 25, 2018 - 8:05 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think then you are on your own for your loom TWS are a big operation and likely to be the only source.175 inc VAT? I think we had truck rads done there years ago certainly rings a bell.

swalsh58
St. Mary's Bay, Kent
Club Dating Officer
Committee
Forum Posts: 1122
August 25, 2018 - 9:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Perhaps you could have a loom made up? If you have the old one to use as a pattern I'm sure there are people that would make one for you. It wouldn't be cheap though.....

Current bikes......1958 D5, a 77 Suzuki GT250 and a 77 Honda CB125S. I have a 74 Kawasaki S3 400 and a B175 waiting for restoration. A 1980 Honda CB400N waiting for MOT.  Everyday ride is a 2011 Harley Davidson Sportster. 

johnsullivan
east sussex
Forum User
Club Member
August 25, 2018 - 10:37 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

** Please log in to view ** as I mentioned above.

swalsh58
St. Mary's Bay, Kent
Club Dating Officer
Committee
Forum Posts: 1122
August 25, 2018 - 11:19 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

johnsullivan said

I'm careful not to suggest people I haven't used. There are several that may put a loom together that advertise in the motorcycling press, like Classic motorcycle mechanics or Old Bike Mart. If a new loom is the only option, it may be that the only way forward is to get one made. I hate electrics......

Current bikes......1958 D5, a 77 Suzuki GT250 and a 77 Honda CB125S. I have a 74 Kawasaki S3 400 and a B175 waiting for restoration. A 1980 Honda CB400N waiting for MOT.  Everyday ride is a 2011 Harley Davidson Sportster. 

johnsullivan
east sussex
Forum User
Club Member
August 25, 2018 - 11:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

He has the highest credentials but I was drawing attention to his faqs ; he has a very good guide to doing it yourself.I cannot ever remember buying a loom for anything except OE for cars.My method is splice in repair pieces ,but no more than a handful of times.

Munchkin
Bedford
Forum User
Club Member
September 2, 2018 - 8:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

johnsullivan said

I cant get the link to open, doo you have another one.

Anyhow back to the Blue kwaka, tank has been taken to Kempston radiators, apparently they not only do radiators which is a silly name, as they also repair reseal and do all sorts to cars & motorbikes. They quoted me £175. Which is decent enough as a replacement tank in good condition for this bike if your lucky to find one would cost hundreds, as ones on greedbay are dented and knackered. Anyhow hes charging me to remove said dent, braize said holes, derust inside tanks remove said lump of sealant (cut open underside of tank) and then he will reseal the tank. At least then I know hopefully a good job has been done.  He said he wouldnt even get to look or do my tank for another 2 months as he has so much work on and 18 tanks in front of mine. freaked-out_gif I said not a problem take it anyway cos its only gonna sit in the garage and at least its got a position 19. lol

So I gonna go back end October start November yes I took it last month just didnt get around to telling you lovely people.

As for loom for the black bike argh. That can wait. At the moment the blue kwaka is working perfectly had to get another friend to re sync the carbs again as no idea how my they werent aligned properly. And he was in the factory working on these bikes when they first came out and he said then as he says now theyre crap bikes. roflroflrofl But he likes mine thank-you

1951 D1 Bantam. 

1981 Kawasaki 440 Ltd UK

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 98

Currently Online:
10 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314