A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
just bought a DKW based Csepel 125 with unusual features
larryc
burnley lancashire
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 192
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 26, 2021 - 4:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have just bought this Hungarian Csepel Danuvia 125 it is unusual in that it has a 1 into 2 twin exhaust with Bantam style fishtail silencers, it also has a foot lever to operate the clutch alongside the standard left hand handlebar lever, I have had it running and it sounds just like a bantam, it is UK registered as a 1954 historic vehicle.

On the web are photo's but non with this exhaust or clutch system, I have also found a slightly different model with a printable handbook in English which will be handy, the lights are not working yet, it is a very well built bike with plunger suspension and a cradle type frame, similar carb and filter to the D1 / D3, it may have the original paintwork with pinstripes which have faded, 2 x large side toolboxes which are very stylish, I will have to fit the reg plate which I have and try to get the lights working and add a brake light.

If anyone has any info about this model please let me know. I have added 5 photo'sGEDC0068JPG.jpgGEDC0069JPG.jpgGEDC0071JPG.jpgGEDC0072JPG.jpg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

D1 plunger 2 x D3 plunger projects and a 1953 Hungarian Csepel 125 plunger

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3450
July 26, 2021 - 6:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

What a lovely (and unusual) bike. Can you post a picture of the LHS of the engine. I know that many CZ / Jawa bikes have a combined kick start and gear change. The operation of the lever for changing gear also operates the clutch (and may deter opportunist scum thieves).

larryc
burnley lancashire
Top Gear User
Club Member
July 27, 2021 - 2:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

cocorico said
What a lovely (and unusual) bike. Can you post a picture of the LHS of the engine. I know that many CZ / Jawa bikes have a combined kick start and gear change. The operation of the lever for changing gear also operates the clutch (and may deter opportunist scum thieves).  

Thanks Cocorico, seems to be a standard type gear change, two photo's attached

LarryGEDC0068JPG-1.jpgGEDC0069JPG-1.jpg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

colk2004
York.
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 703
July 29, 2021 - 3:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

OO. Liking that one a lot. Probably another bike taken from the WW2 reparations. Another DKW copy like the Bantam. Good luck with it.

Cheers Col

FB Falcon 87 needs wiring to finish. Ariel Arrow on the back burner, MZ125 running, Royal Enfield Classic love it, Velo LE waiting for spares, Simson Schwalbe now 12v and running.

Number6
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 535
July 29, 2021 - 7:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That is well cool thumbs-up

Mike H --

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.

larryc
burnley lancashire
Top Gear User
Club Member
August 4, 2021 - 4:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have been struggling to get it going again, good spark, so I took the carb off, it has a fuel tap leak and the carb was full of gunge, cleaned carb and going to attempt to make new cork washers for the push pull tap, it is not a BSP thread so maybe metric.

I am certainly not 'leggydextorous', the kickstart is on the left, it is bl**dy hard to kick over, with my 'not as good as the right left hip', I have never had a left hand side kickstart before so now I have bruises on both feet by trying sat on the bike and standing to the left and trying with my right leg! so it is important to get it starting easily. there is no speedo so a cycle digital will be fitted £5 from Ebay, it now has an auxillary back stop and tail light.

Can't wait to have a run out on itold

Larry

colk2004
York.
Top Gear User
Club Member
August 5, 2021 - 11:45 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It should be metric. I've had a lot of joy with using MZ stuff on restorations, like condensors, petrol taps, etc. Try Ost2rad, AKF, or the like. Weird with the kickstart as my Suzukis were left hand kickstart, like my GT500. I got so used to it over the years that I struggle with a right hand kickstart as the bike gets in the way. Easiest thing is stand at the side of the bike with it on sidestand and just give it a whirl. I'm also looking for the speedo solution for a 125 I'm restoring and looking at a GPS clock and 6v to 12v converter. 

Good luck getting it all sorted. Should be fun. 

Cheers Col

FB Falcon 87 needs wiring to finish. Ariel Arrow on the back burner, MZ125 running, Royal Enfield Classic love it, Velo LE waiting for spares, Simson Schwalbe now 12v and running.

larryc
burnley lancashire
Top Gear User
Club Member
August 6, 2021 - 10:35 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Cheers Col, sorted the fuel leak at the tap, I made 2 x cork washers and they work fine, I did not take the push pull ends off as they are peened over, I split the tap into it's main 3 x parts and fit the washers 

Larry

larryc
burnley lancashire
Top Gear User
Club Member
August 20, 2021 - 3:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Help with carb please!

When I started the Csepel it was running a bit fast and then kept cutting out, I took the carb off to sort the fuel leaks all done now. I dismantled the carb and it was full of gunge, I noticed the jet was badly damaged and distorted the needle is straight and looks ok, It is all cleaned out now, I think the fast running was maybe due to a badly seated needle in the damaged jet and the cutting out due to gunge. I am struggling to find a replacement jet

The carb has FE18B stamped on it and the handbook says number 80 jet and the jet insert is 0.8mm.

Would it be possible to use an Amal 261 or 361 from a Bantam if I sleeve the stub, Csepel stub is 22.5mm outside dia whereas the Bantam has a 1" stub

The Csepel is 123cc.

Or does anyone know where I could get a 22.5mm replacement carb, or obtain the jet.

Any help is welcome

Larry

colk2004
York.
Top Gear User
Club Member
August 20, 2021 - 4:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Larry, 

Is the jet a M5? In which case a BVF jet or DellOrto jet will work size for size. Alternative carbs. Rather than reinvent the wheel, you'll find MZ Bing or BVF carbs in the right sizes and correctly set up for a 125cc from the companies mentioned above. The Bantam was just another copy of the DKW, as was the MZ, however MZ tooling vanished after WW2 into the depths of Eastern Europe and Russia so your little bike is probably closer to MZs than Bantams....and you'll notice that a lot of people are ditching their AMals for Mikuni copy Pit Bike carbs which is another option. 

Cheers Col

larryc
burnley lancashire
Top Gear User
Club Member
August 20, 2021 - 4:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

colk2004 said
Hi Larry, 

Is the jet a M5? In which case a BVF jet or DellOrto jet will work size for size. Alternative carbs. Rather than reinvent the wheel, you'll find MZ Bing or BVF carbs in the right sizes and correctly set up for a 125cc from the companies mentioned above. The Bantam was just another copy of the DKW, as was the MZ, however MZ tooling vanished after WW2 into the depths of Eastern Europe and Russia so your little bike is probably closer to MZs than Bantams....and you'll notice that a lot of people are ditching their AMals for Mikuni copy Pit Bike carbs which is another option. 

Cheers Col  

Thanks Col, I have been hours on the old tinternet searching, I will look at the jet to see if I can find a number, and check out the carbs you mentioned. Thanks for your help.

Larry

FrankG
Alfreton. Derbyshire
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 73
August 20, 2021 - 11:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Larry it might be worth looking at CZ/Jawa as well as Cocorico said earlier the engine apart from not having the drop down kickstart come gear lever looks CZ like. had 2 about 20+ years ago so cant remember what carbs never had any trouble with them.

Frank

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3450
August 21, 2021 - 8:26 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You may also find that a Dellorto PHBG will fit exactly over the  stub, though it might look a little too modern. I would have thought that a jet from another 'eastern bloc' carb, as above, would fit. Good luck.

larryc
burnley lancashire
Top Gear User
Club Member
August 23, 2021 - 4:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks chaps, still searching and exploring options which will fit a 22.5mm stub

Larry

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: GlenAnderson
17 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3450

Cornish Rooster: 2917

Blue Heeler: 2434