A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Honda CD175 twin, four stroke of 1972 vintage.
Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2584
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
May 18, 2019 - 12:53 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

** Please log in to view **

Luckily, the imperial size that equates roughly to 15mm was near enough and saved me going through the sparser selection of metric punches I own.

I was a tad worried I'd get the centre hole off with my eyes, but taking my time paid off.

Job's a good 'un.

Four now on the road and at least several in bits.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 18, 2019 - 1:03 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It does stand a bit prouder than originals, but a few drops of oil will help to bed it in and shrink it perhaps.

I could even threaten it with the silver wheel paint...

Have been thinking of fitting the new brake shoes, springs and splined shafts, wheel end brake levers too maybe, just to help get the parts out of the parts containers laying in different places all over the shed. But something tells me to wait awhile, I'd hate to get those lovely new shoes contaminated, for want of a bit more waiting for other jobs finishing.

Every bit you get done to your satisfaction is yet another step closer to the finish line, but that could still be a year away, to be realistic.

stubaker58
Sunny Felixstowe
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 329
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 18, 2019 - 2:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Mags,

great progress. Recently bought a set of metric punches to make holes in a home made primary side gasket for my little Benelli. Very Satisfying! 

D7/14 hybrid (4 speed with D7 crank etc.) on the road, D10 Bushman awaiting rebuilding.

BSAdave
London
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1461
May 19, 2019 - 9:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I went to Kempton Auto jumble yesterday and saw this while i was in the cue to get in.  Is this the same model as the one you are doing /

20190518_095941.jpg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 19, 2019 - 10:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think that's a later or more upmarket model Dave, could be a CB looking at the chromed rear chainguard etc. N reg. though?

Chromed rear shockers, I meant to say.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 20, 2019 - 12:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Discovered I have three of the cowlings now, this one seems as good if not better than the one plastered up with filler. With plenty of items to play with, I can prepare all three if I wish and see which turns out the best.

All three have same damge though, around where indicator stalk anchors, people falling off bikes must be a bit more common than I thought!

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 20, 2019 - 12:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The bright red paint finish from a distance encouraged me to think I'd got myself a useable cowl here, I should have known...

The underlying silver paint here looks to be a copy of the pearl type finish as used by the later Bantams etc. I've heard that "copying is the highest form of flattery" but this was done purely for profit.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 20, 2019 - 12:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I plan to use the American two part plastic glue on this one, directions state that as usual, surfaces must be clean, dry and slightly roughed, time to get rid of the oil and grease here then.

This side is sunk in slightly.

A piece of metric studding, in the form of a fencing eye, seemed like just the thing to try forcing the pushed out side back in.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 20, 2019 - 12:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Visions of Frankenstien's monster were brought to mind as I tightened the neck bolt!

Accident must have happened with some force, I tightened the nuts as far as I dared, but nothing happened.

I'll have to think of a way to get the broken parts back together flush again, the only problem then will be that there'll be no room for the glue to get a hold.

I may get out the needle files and relieve the areas under pressure, with luck I can make the edges rather bigger than needed and create some pockets for glue to sit in.

Mick W
Chester/ North Wales Flintshire Border
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 748
May 20, 2019 - 7:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

BSAdave said
I went to Kempton Auto jumble yesterday and saw this while i was in the cue to get in.  Is this the same model as the one you are doing /

20190518_095941.jpg  

That’s the CB 175. The one Mags is doing is the is the CD 175. Both on sale side by side in the 70’s

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 22, 2019 - 10:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The two part glue I bought online in readiness, about £7.

I gave the cowling a good two washes in thinners, hoping I'd removed dirt like this, instructions on glue packet call for clean, dry, dust free surfaces and no grease, oil or other unwanted agents around.

I bought this cheap copy of an Xacto craft/hobby set of handle and very sharp knife blades last year, and have used it twice this week for first serious job, I wasn't sure if glue would stick to the paint, but if I removed it anyway, I'd get a true idea of how far and deep the cracks went.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 22, 2019 - 10:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I feel a bit put out by the sheer size of this damage, but not sure why, I didn't do it! Compared to other side, this bit was sticking up and wouldn't be pushed down far enough to get them equal.

I pushed hard, making a nice big gap that allowed the narrow little blade right in, I could just about see where more plastic needed whittling away by noticing where plastic still touched.

Pressing down now, both sides seemed very close in amount of plastic sticking up.

But exactly how was I to know where that was, once glue was on? Unless it was clear for me to see through, I could possibly be storing up more trouble for myself.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 22, 2019 - 10:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The opposite mounting hole was both better and worse, beter in not having been torn apart and still in roughly the same original position, but worse in the fact that cracks are dirty or is it paint they're full of here?

Common sense told me to use the glue both sides. Which meant scraping the paint off both too. More smaller cracks showed up in the process.

I tried vee'ing the bigger deeper cracks, trying to leave them clean, or at least cleaner, at least I could fill the vee's right up and overfill, excess glue could be trimmed up quite easily, I surmised...first rule in restoring old bikes, - surmise nothing!!!

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 22, 2019 - 10:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My future as a make up artist is seriously in doubt!

This is a top from a grey primer spray can and the little black twig is the 'spatula' the glue company supply...a slight improvement from the old matchstick applicator days then?

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 22, 2019 - 10:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The spatula proves hard to find, until you read that it lives between the two glue 'pushers'.

This double end sealer goes on only one way, that way glues don't mix and fix end on for good!

You're advised to squeeze out only as much as you can use in four minutes, which is when the mixed stuff starts to go rubbery, pulling the 'pushers' back when you squeezed out as much as you need is a good idea, simply because if tubes get warm it could make glue expand and leak out etc. Some good ideas there. I found the twin sealing caps useless and only by turning whole thing upside down would gravity hold it on.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 22, 2019 - 11:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I got out the very first original cowl that came with the bike, I just hoped that I could make a better go of things than previous owner had!

I had another idea, I broke one of the long thin blades, despite wearing glasses the thought of a piece of metal shooting into my eye wasn't very pleasant, I thought I'd try the mini 'Dremmel' type grinder with a thin little disc on it to see if that worked any better. Wrap around eye guard was used of course.

All three cowls on view now.

I've actually bought a much better one since this one had a job to tighten chuck up, but I couldn't find it, was glad to find it did the job anyway, only drawback was the 'feathering' bits of plastic left afterwards around the various work areas.

It didn't really matter much inside, but outside it would of course.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 22, 2019 - 11:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

First thing was a fresh brew of coffee, next I attached the Frankenstien threaded rod to hold the recently glued joints in place, I left the washers out this time, this glue will stick to any metal also, so didn't want to go down that road.

An hour or so later, or was it the next day? I'd grooved out the splits in the bottom rim anchor screw holes and dobbed some fixative in there.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 22, 2019 - 11:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Going back to the original rubbish cowl, I spent a bit of time further experimenting with the tiny Dremmel type wheel to see what else I could achieve.

After using it to remove paint, glue and plastic by using it at different angles and speeds, I felt I was ready to try removing some of the excess glue from the item in question, started at the inside areas where any accidents wouldn't be noticed or could be put right by more glue applications.

The glue eventually sets quite hard, at least as hard as original material, but what's the best way to remove the excess? Hadn't thought of that one.

I used the ordinary tools of people in the auto trade such things as sanding machines and paper etc, but this glue is slightly different, it's not fully hard for 24 hours and even then it still has some 'give'. Filler is very hard in comparison, but at least stays rock hard still whilst you gently eat away at it, a few thous at a time, maybe my files are too blunt, they wouldn't really touch the glue, fine and medium papers too seemed to have little effect.

Brand new, coarse paper, does have an effect though.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 22, 2019 - 11:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Part of the reason I haven't ordered the rims and spokes yet, is having lost the sheets of paper stapled together that I wrote the wheel set over measurements on, I was sure they were in the shed and looked high and low, finding a few other lost things in the process, but not the needed paperwork.
Eventually found them today, at home, minutes later I found I'd taken a pic of top sheet anyway, so have it twice now, that's three weeks I've been looking.
A small revelation today was deciding to surf the web for folk doing blasting of bike frames, found two within 12 miles area, both said they'd do bare frame for £40 to £60, just why was I thinking about putting myself through the physical pain and torment of doing it myself outside the shed?
I took the frame, both best mudguards and tank I'd paint stripped to small village just off the A5 at Litchborough and spoke to owner of business, he said £80 with the four parts and £100 if I wanted them painting, red oxide isn't used a lot these days, being oil based paint, it's ok to keep the rust away, but no good as a base for acrylic etc. so I left it at just blasting, he showed me a mini subframe and another Japanese I think bike frame, very fine finish, I must say.
He uses finely ground glass particles and swears that it can remove 2 pack paint aso.
My bits will be ready to collect a week tomorrow, here's hoping.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 25, 2019 - 8:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

There are always more places that need looking at as you go along, it's not just the outside viewed surface that's important either, this hole that takes one of the chromed rim anchor screws, crack has been ground out a bit bigger with the mini grinder and the glue splodged in and around, it's not a very accurate method of getting enough coverage overall with enough excess material to eventually sand back nicely for correct fit of the rim again.

I must have left some glue around the nozzle or cap of this superglue, it was solid when I came to use it and two pairs of pliers were needed to break the seal, after using what I needed I guessed I'd be chucking rest away, I forgot about it for a couple of days and was surprised at first to find viable wet glue still in there, of course being inaerobic, the stuff only goes off in the absence of air.

The Honda plastic isn't the very hardest, very fine wet or dry seems to have no effect, this 80 grit I think does do a passable job though.

colk2004
is currently browsing this topic
Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: Mags 1, colk2004, Darrell, les hay
28 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page: colk2004
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

Anderzander: 3209

bart: 3142