A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Honda CD175 twin, four stroke of 1972 vintage.
This topic is locked
Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2610
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 23, 2019 - 4:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

** Please log in to view **

Goes something like this.

Lots of spares, as I say, but all have different faults.

I managed to blast about thirty five items in the cabinet, including two swing arms, but they were a job to move around.

Some items eventually got two good thick coats of grey primer, others had to wait for the MIG welder, but I'm at last making good progress.

Four now on the road and at least several in bits.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 23, 2019 - 5:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

This chaincase is a pain, where the three pieces have been spot welded together there's old dirty chain grease etc trapped in the areas between the spot welds, used my very thinnest craft knife blades to get as much out as I could, but I'm not happy, I have to use it though as it's the only one I have.

Metal is wafer thin and won't stand drilling out of spot welds and rebuilding, there was as much rust as paint on it before!

I don't have the bottom section it bolts to, either.

The hollow section on the swing arm I couldn't paint yet, one of the main tubes one side is almost eaten right away, inside, I get the feeling it will only fail eventually and am not sure if welding it up would be a good or very bad idea...

sunny
Norfolk
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1223
April 23, 2019 - 5:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

we know  you  can   do it  Mags    but   some  GAS  piping  wiill  mack  a  newern    just  as  quik  A   

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 25, 2019 - 10:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for your moral support Sunny. You seem to have more faith in my "skills" than I do!

It's good to finally see the gloss black coats going on nicely, it's all about preparation of course.

Log book gives colour as red, I may use blue on this one though, so that'll be another change, new log book in my name arrived with taxation class for this bike still being bicycle, a few days later another letter from DVLA came, threatening me with a thousand pound fine, if I didn't tax or sorn this bike, yet front of new V5 clearly states bike was authenticated as new in 1972!

I prefer building up the refurb process via smaller parts first, mudguards for instance, only just go into blast cabinet and are a job each on their own, even then some areas are not so easy to get right, due to odd shapes.

Sometimes two of primer, two of gloss and a final one of lacquer are enough, a bright sunny day does help with some vision problems.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 25, 2019 - 10:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Foot of side stand was left because it needs a weld repair quite badly, one side has a feather type edge to it.

A four inch length of old bed type angle iron was used here, a few minutes with the hacksaw and bench grinder produced a patching piece to bring the stand height back up a bit.

Needs blasting again now, before repainting etc. I will have to mask off the gloss black already applied over rest of it, in future this will remind me to do all welding before any painting starts, but it's very tempting to get as much good paint coverage over as much as possible, to stop the rust and dirt accumulating by the time you finally get around to every tiny piece.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 25, 2019 - 11:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Aldi sell excellent gloss black paint in rattle cans, with its own varnish already contained in it, problem is that each store gets about ten tins only, maybe three or four times a year, they also sell half litre tins of same, which needs thinning, thinners if I remember correctly is turps, so paint may be oil based, rather than cellulose or acrylic etc. similar very thin coated varieties. This is what I ended up using the other day. Some cans are fine, you use the lot up with no fuss at all and dispose of empty can, end of story.

Some cans occasionally are a waste of money, this one just spat out blobs of paint that eventuaaly merged into each other! So much paint was lost through 'joint' between plastic tube emerging from can and push on nozzle that I almost gave up on it, I tried washing the nozzle and other similar ones in neat general purpose thinner, without much change, shop owners don't look kindly on such a mess and at a guess would invariably blame the buyer...

I'm pretty sure it's not just me! (?)

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 25, 2019 - 11:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Had a go at the spare swing arm assy. with the MIG welder, one minute I was blowing right through and burning the frail metal away, upon turning wire speed and voltage settings down, I then experienced the "bird droppings" syndrome, or lack of penetration. You simply cannot gauge the thickness or quality of rusted out metal and such jobs are a nightmare, you don't get far and the precious gas is being used up all the time, whether or not the welds are successful.

Even something like this is preferable, it can at least be relied upon more and grinder will soon reduce its size.

Nozzle of mig welder couldn't quite get right into deepest corner, an aerial view of the Pyrenees couldn't look much more mountainous! Thank God for angle grinders, I say.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 25, 2019 - 11:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You won't get far if you can't learn as you go...slowly improving I think here.

Simple jobs, like on the side stand are a doddle, compared to the swing arm fiasco.

I doubt it was intentional, but mig torch body sits very nicely on the outer raised edge of the hydro table, which I found very useful upon welding up a holey D14 Sport seat yesterday.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 25, 2019 - 11:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mig welding and angle grinding is a bit like a pencil, paper and eraser, if you don't like the first results, you can simply clear it all away and start again, learning by your first mistakes and taking fresh heart, then hopefully making improvements that will work (and are safe).

Some of my problem may be that I simply dwell too long in one place, a good idea on thick, even metal, but on damaged stuff like this, a mistake. Yes, I'm still learning as I go, on almost every item though, it would seem.

BSAdave
London
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1470
April 27, 2019 - 4:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Been following this for a while, like you i'm trying to learn to weld, some days i have success other i don't, my second hand mig welder has now decided to stop working, i keep telling my self it is all part of the fun. Are you going to spray the tank and other bits your self ?

Keep up the good work.

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 27, 2019 - 7:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello BSAdave, I've been pretending to MIG weld for a few decades now, but my failing eyesight lets me down, I can only keep persevering with it though.

Yes, I do like to do as much as I can myself, spraying included, one problem will be what paint to use though, acrylic and cellulose are so thin that bike would need maybe a dozen gloss coats, plus primer and lacquer, so I'm having to think hard about that problem when I'm right up to it.

Never really liked two pack or powder coating either, so it needs some thought. (Side panels are plastic, so powder coating is out then anyway).

One thing I want to experiment with is spraying ally or silver type paint on the panels and tank first, to see if it gives the same metallic paint effect as on the later Bantams etc.

BonesCDI
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 409
April 28, 2019 - 8:05 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mags 1 said
Hello BSAdave, I've been pretending to MIG weld for a few decades now, but my failing eyesight lets me down, I can only keep persevering with it though.

Yes, I do like to do as much as I can myself, spraying included, one problem will be what paint to use though, acrylic and cellulose are so thin that bike would need maybe a dozen gloss coats, plus primer and lacquer, so I'm having to think hard about that problem when I'm right up to it.

Never really liked two pack or powder coating either, so it needs some thought. (Side panels are plastic, so powder coating is out then anyway).

One thing I want to experiment with is spraying ally or silver type paint on the panels and tank first, to see if it gives the same metallic paint effect as on the later Bantams etc.  

I'm really enjoying this post Mags....

Have you tried the magnifying lenses that fit into your welding helmet? I use a 3x magnification lense in my headshield.

Take your headshield to a welding shop and see if you can get one to fit, they really do make a difference.

Keep the posts coming, progress is looking good.

Bones 

Running and project bikes from 1912 -2005..........She hasn't said stop yet.........

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 28, 2019 - 4:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello Bones, never heard of magnifying lenses being fitted to a welding helmet before, an interesting idea you have there, but I do wear my ordinary glasses behind the auto darkening shield on a regular basis, providing more light just lately has helped a lot too, you'll see what I mean shortly.

As ever, such positive comments from other biking folk are always welcome and do give these long haul type builds a bit of encouragement, thank you, DD.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 28, 2019 - 4:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Another good thing about doing your own build your own way is being able to flit about from one type of work that's maybe not going so well, to something completely different, this can give you time to think up different ways to tackle awkward jobs or even simply give you a breathing space to assess what you're doing wrong and how to change things, it does sometimes take some working out when you're on your own and have no one to sound off about things.

I'll need to be ordering new rims and spokes soon for wheels, so having hubs all ready to lace in would help, their present condition doesn't inspire confidence, I got out my polishing mops and sticks of polish, I removed the wire wheel from the bench grinder but left the heavy grindstone on the other side to give some momentum to motor.

Usual method of mounting both on and off type mop heads, stick of polish is simply held against one of the on type smaller mops to begin process. I'm no expert at this job either, but I do enjoy the 'having a go' type scenario, getting ready for the job takes only minutes but of course it's experience and knowledge that separates the expert from the amateur in most things.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 28, 2019 - 4:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

This is the now worn out agressive wire wheel of German make that I took off to facilitate the mops, a good tip to remember if you want a bit more life out of such things is to fit the thing in the opposite direction next time, wire ends will then be forward rather than backward facing and it will work like new almost again.

This one is a bit less worn out, I bought the two about ten years ago at our local Gem Tool Hire and just wish I could purchase new ones, but they employ different folk now who have no idea of where these came from, I've even tried the 'net and ebay etc with no joy at all.

I just could not make any progress with the polishing mops at all, but still had to find a way to get around the very awkward central finned areas of the hubs and the varnished outer areas of the hub covers. The thick but soft wire brush here was next tried out, I found it too soft, just sort of glossing or gliding over the work areas.

I hope to try some paint stripper this week on the varnished cover plates, to see if it helps at all, not sure how the stripper will react with the bare ally though.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 28, 2019 - 4:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Did as much as I could before getting bored with seemingly making no real progress at all, assemblies look OK I suppose, but I want them to really shine, I often think that a new bike is very impressive mostly due to the gleaming new rims, spokes and hubs, they form a big percenrage of total bike I think.

I tried a different tack, I removed the wide soft brush and put a very narrow one on, about three eighths wide at the tips, I managed to get this right into each and every groove of the cooling fins areas of both hubs, I even turned the hubs around in my hands to be sure I was getting into the small 'pocket' type places where abutments of fin ends where.

But wire brushes aren't miracle workers, bad scratch damage like this cannot be brushed out.

Rear hub is in much better condition than this one, which was half covered in ally oxide at first, looks like I'll have to resort to some filler and fine grit paper etc. Which of course now means both hubs will have to be painted with wheel silver, rather than being left in original ally, either that or finding another better front hub is now on the cards.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 28, 2019 - 5:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

"And there's more" as someone used to say...at least three distict areas are in need of filler now, but this may have been a porous casting, I'm not sure.

More wire wheel polishing later and effect was even better.

Cast iron brake drum insert isn't looking too good either, if I'm to skim this one, I need to sort it out soon, no good waiting until spokes are on!

Original bearings still sit in both wheel hubs, it was only the spare I removed them from, so I could actually still use the old bearings as a help to the skimming process.

Oddly enough though, the only working brake, the front one, was working quite well I thought, before strip down. But it would certainly be a big mistake to lace these hubs up as they are when I have the perfect opportunity to improve right here in front of me, now.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 28, 2019 - 5:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mustn't forget the spoke holes.

They do look mucky, if you get close enough!

My overalls bore testimony to the amount of ally oxide being removed.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 28, 2019 - 5:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Is it varnish or paint? Front brake cover condition looks rather flaky and ragged, I'm sure painty stripper could remove this lot, without leaving lots of scratches.

So many different shapes and angles here makes the polishing job very difficult, wheels are truly a job on their own and make no mistake.

To get some partial respite from the hubs I took a few minutes out to wire wheel oxide from front footrests, a wipe with thinner prepared them for a couple of coats of primer.

It will all get done eventually, but in much odd order, which doesn't matter a jot, my memory isn't as good as it was but I'm managing to keep abreast of most areas I'm tackling and hopefully some large bits will be ready to bolt on in a month or twos time.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
May 1, 2019 - 6:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

One of the very thin newish type cutting discs when almost worn out on the five inch angle grinder, is just a perfect fit on the air die grinder, which is about the only thing that will easily reach the awkward angles on the swing arm repairs. Another air die grinder is fitted with a carbide burr, to sort out the smaller ragged holes that have varying tyhicknesses of metal around them.

Didn't take long to cut right back to thicker material.

Once a big enough hole was cut I could insert a crowbar and take the bend out of the metal around the brake anchor rod area here. A bit of light hammering after brought it all in line again.

This topic is locked
Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: wildun, GlenAnderson, John McGann
4 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

Anderzander: 3208

bart: 3142

cocorico: 2862