A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Honda CD175 twin, four stroke of 1972 vintage.
Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2444
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 12, 2019 - 9:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

** Please log in to view **

A spare back wheel came with one lot of ebay spares, the Wrexham one, maybe. I had nothing to lose by getting old rusted spokes cut out of rim and ending up with only a bare hub. It's a 36 spoke wheel and uses the same pattern as early Bantams. A spoke on same side and in same direction every five holes etc.

Bolt cutters worked a treat, in less than two minutes I had it all in pieces.

No good faffing about, I made sure of set over measurements at least twice before I made my move of course. Both wheel bearings and the oil seal were shot also. But it was a gift horse and I wasn't looking at it in the mouth.

All I wanted was a decent hub for a spare, just in case my original had faults, a not unknown state of affairs these days. The steel tube inside the bearings was a very good fit, I had to move it to one side, just to get enough of inner side of first bearing showing to get a purchance on it with a drift, using the Rothenberger torch on the ally casting did help bearing come out a bit easier I believe.

Four now on the road and at least several in bits.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 12, 2019 - 9:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ally oxide damage to casting had occured under the invisible varnish that Honda use, the only way to remove both at once appeared to be by using the aggressive wire wheel, you can of course use more or less pressure to achieve desired results, but I may well have used a bit too much in places. I have plenty of soap and mops to go on the bench grinder though, so it's all still to do.

The cush drive rubbers seemed fine, for age of bike.

But the pins that enter them can move and I can detect tiny punch marks where someone has tried to 'stake' them. It's only a spare, so no harm done if it's useless, the shrunk in cast iron brake drum is quite rusty too, but here's hoping it's just surface rust. If I have to use this one, it should be a simple job to mig weld those pin ends, once and for all.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 12, 2019 - 9:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

A mixture of metric and imperial, from Honda here, rim is a 17 incher.

THe 39 is amount of teeth.

Which seem to have worn very well over the years, maybe this proves the use of a fuly enclosed chaincase a sensible precaution.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 12, 2019 - 9:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I put the now bare rear hub to one side, I was fearful of not being able to get new rims and spokes for the bike original wheels and hesitated for a while, it may have been a day, before I got the front wheel ready for removal of the tyre, tube and rim tape. I had had a couple of goes at wire wheeling the rims, in an effort to save the work and expence of renewal, but so much work on all the rest would be wasted by keeping rusty, bubbled up, rims.

Despite no MOT now needed, this tyre is an accident waiting to happen.

Rim tape and rim were in a similar condition, sometimes you just have to 'bite the bullet' and get on with it, I've seen lots of other recent rebuilds since getting this bike and nearly all have new rims, so they must be available, I just hope they're about the same price as the Bantam ones I've done in the recent past.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 12, 2019 - 10:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bike's own front wheel got the same treatment.

With the grease, oil seal and old shoes out of the way, the cover plate cleaned up nicely with some old diry petrol I keep by me for such odd jobs.

It looks better here than it actually is, a good polishing and re-varnish will be in order after I've fitted new bearings and seals, keep forgetting to look at new rim and spoke prices, but a heart attack now could seriously hinder the project build!

Once bearings are in I can also check the ovality of the drum, it may need a light skim.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 14, 2019 - 5:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

All from the rear, original wheel spindle assy. was taken off and after taking note of the set over measurements, it was treated in a similar fashion.

The state of the rim tapes says a lot about the rims.

I was slightly confused about the cushion drive pins, as both tyhey and their corresponding rubbers are much bigger than the spare wheel ones, not sure which is oldr or younger now, but I'd have thought that these thicker ones maybe came later, due to thinner ones being not strong?

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 14, 2019 - 5:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

At one point I thought sprocket was never going to part from hub, it was on so tight, finally a 3 legged puller made the difference.

Looks like tubing over originally thinner posts?

Nearly everything eventually sucumbs to the aggressive wire wheel.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 15, 2019 - 10:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bought a couple of front fork seals locally, delivered free, I doubt the Honda ones are £2 each...

I had a five gallon drum of 10W 30 oil delivered too, the old SAE 30 or 40 weight oils are getting harder to find now at some places.

Talking of oil and seals, this one that keeps the speedo drive grease off the brake shoes is only a loose fit, so I'll have to renew that one too. Buying small cheaper bits occasionally at least gives the idea and feeling that project isn't running away with me, but the bill for rims, spokes, tyres, tapes, bearings and tubes will need a big gulp or two, at least.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 16, 2019 - 10:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Next job I fancied doing was refurb of the bar switchgear.

First job was to cut away all outer protective grey sheathing, I used heat shrink stuff upon re-assembly.

With this amount of dirt and grease, you can't even see obvious faults and problems, other side had grey molybdenum disulphide plastered all around everything.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 16, 2019 - 10:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I owned a few Hondas in the 1970's and at least one had switch trouble, it all soon came back and despite my eyes not being half as good, I had the shed door wide open to help see and gave myself plentyof time to do it in.

Putting the levers back on made the small castings bigger and easier to handle, less chance of dropping them onto the not so clean floor also.

I washed everything in fresh petrol to first degrease, wire wheel cleaned up further the bigger items like nuts, bolts, screws etc, a lone Stanley type blade also helped scrape away muck and corrosion etc.

Some mirror mounting threads were later found to be dead, a disappointment after thinking I'd picked the best castings the first time around. I've been thinking about drilling this one out and threding much larger, then putting a reducing tube in to bring it back to original, not sure how strong or weak that'd be though in rough weather.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 16, 2019 - 10:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Three castings I didn't use had the female splines here torn away, making me wonder what the little pins did, I later deduced that they must enter the small holes next to the cable exits in the bars, locking them in position, an accident was probably the cause of the damaged ones, or even maybe someone who was in a hurry...

The blue paper towelling comes in handy for drying parts off, just one side of a bar switch here.

Pics are a bit mixed up here, this is the indicators/horn side before stripping out.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 16, 2019 - 10:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You can get things quite clean in comparison to before, if you take your time.

Both switches use a small ball bearing and tiny spring, main light switch took some patience, before I finally found an easy method that worked every time, without all the tiny parts flying all over the place. A tiny amount of lithium grease also helped.

Even aluminium swarf and filings were amongst the dirt washed out.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 16, 2019 - 10:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ready to start now.

Tried the empty covers on, just to get an idea of what it might look like when finished.

That's what I was hoping for.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 16, 2019 - 10:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Biggest part of a day it took, but it should be a once only job.

Hole in bars where the steel switch pin engages.

Will need to test the wiring for shorts etc. before connecting up, just to be sure, but I'm now happy with another small part of the bike. Throttle cable runs partly inside bars too, so many extra holes in Honda bars, makes you wonder if they're strong enough in an emergency?

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 21, 2019 - 9:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Installing a new throttle cable on the CD175 is an odd job if you've only ever worked on Amal inspired stuff.

The steel barrel of bar grip area has a spot welded internal slow 'thread', which the ally shuttle containing cable nipple rides on.

Job done, for time being, but cable inner is a bit too long, I'd like to be able to use this one up and out of the way though.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 21, 2019 - 9:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Started on the rear brake plate assy. Honda use plenty of felt washers around their bushes and shafts on the earlier bikes brake systems, this one was half seized up, so it may not have been a 100% successful idea.

No one will ever know, but I cannot simly put this lot back like this, old dirty and many times used petrol can still shift most of this and make it safer to breathe around too.

Makes me feel better about it, anyway.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 21, 2019 - 9:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

About twenty five working parts to your average back brake assy. you cannot just hope it can all look after itself, year in and out.

Much better.

How anyone can just keep tightening up a bolt until it bends without doing its job puzzles me. Chain tensioner screws seem to be plated, waste of good fasteners here.Easing oil isn't expensive, but some folk hope to be able do adjustment with slackening off the main tensionng bolts first, it seems.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 21, 2019 - 10:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The brake shoes are filthy, but not badly worn, I'll keep them as emergency spares, after cleaning them up first.

I was lucky enough to win this 500 piece bag of metric fasteners at an auction recently, plus another of similar styled spring and plain washers too, but downside is that most bike manufactrures use odd bolt lengths and some use stepped or waisted sections, often too, quality items of a higher tensile strength are used, where it'd be a mistake to use these general purpose mild steel ones, something folk don't always think about or realise.

Longest 6 mill item from bag falls short of originals length and strength, probably.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 23, 2019 - 4:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Local bearing traders are generally pretty good at finding most of my bike needs items fairly quickly, even when not in stock, the four wheel bearings they had lots of, also the front seal for spindle and bearing, but the big one they thought was a Honda special. FAG bearings are of German origin I think, but these were made in Korea, but with strict German quality control they ought to serve the same.

Hardly looks the same, but dimension numbers are the same, style is different also.

I tried a tin of their penetrating oil too, I could really have done with this a few weeks ago though.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 23, 2019 - 4:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Three items on the bench Good Friday morning told their own story, to me anyway, the D14 Sport made an odd noise when I took it outside and put it on its centre stand, setting up sand blast cabinet I decided to drop the medium out of the bottom chute and examine it, before riddling it and returning, that's when I found the Bantam D7 on chain adjuster piece, also some blue paper towel in tatters, both of which had been hampering machine performance. Other item is a damaged top end of a CD175 shroud.

What's left of a spot weld on the shrouds broken off top end.

Which fits right here, items were wrenched apart, which will have obviously stretched some places and even having others that are almost perfect in this area to copy, will take some doing to get these parts back together exactly again.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 98

Currently Online: BASIL, Lone Wolf
16 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3303

Anderzander: 3209

bart: 3137

Sprung Chicken: 2650

David Dale: 2491