A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Honda CD175 twin, four stroke of 1972 vintage.
Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2512
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 29, 2019 - 10:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

** Please log in to view **

Spent several hours today with the paint stripper, some paint just melted away to bare metal and rust underneath, whilst other things had many paint coats on and took two really good thick dripping coats of the awful stripping chemicals.

The blue headlamp support brackets had very thin paint on them, the reds though had two or three times thicker paint.

But rust prevailed on most other things, I can't wait to get the blaster going and being able to see past so much rust and corrosion, all of these twenty five roughly, items will fit in the cabinet, which cost me about £180 a couple of years ago, it's been well worth it.

Four now on the road and at least several in bits.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
March 31, 2019 - 12:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Warmer weather lately allowed me to wear my 'open all hours' brown smock, a chance to maybe use some geyish throttle cable outer came along finally with the Honda.

Newer stuff is of a coarser construction and a different colour, not sure how much a new Honda throttle cable goes for these days, but I may have a try anyway, it's all part of the rebuild progress in my eyes.

The Honda handlebar throttle system is rather odd, when you consider the simplicity of the Amal type, maybe Amal still had patent rights in the '60's, we may never know.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
March 31, 2019 - 12:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Another perfectly good pair of pillion footrests turned up with some stuff I bought from a chap in Litchfield. Old ones I wasted time and effort on were scrap to be honest with myself.

I used a 5 gallon paint bucket to soak the recently paint stripped parts, water neutralises the chemical.

Getting ready to use blast cabinet takes time and effort, four bikes need to come out, plus hydro table etc.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
March 31, 2019 - 12:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Getting parts dry now was next problem, water and blast media do not mix well, it simply clogs the gun and nozzle, so I left these parts in the sunshine and breezes of yesterday.

Some smaller partts had no paint on to start with, just surface rust, most of which was removed via the aggressive wire wheel, I blasted these first whilst waiting for the wet ones to dry. Two good coats of grey primer at least sealed them from the atmosphere and more rust, hopefully.

Getting centre stand done too, seemed like a bonus, it was a pig to manouevre in the cabinet.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
March 31, 2019 - 12:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Most of the fork top end covering tinware has damage, besides rust, splits and cracks, plus rotted away areas are rife on some, I have to pick my parts carefully.

This appears to be a small toolbox of some sort, I need to consult my patrts book again, one bent over place was straightened out, only to find it now hanging off, it may well be part of a device holding it to another piece of tinware, I don't know for sure, just yet.

I had to replace the thin, plastic, renewable cover to inside of blaster glass and immediately could see more clearly. Vacuum cleaner had to be emptied and filters cleaned too, you do get blase' when you have piles of stuff waiting to be done, it's easy to forget maintenance, but efficiency falls off very gradually, until just air comes out of nozzle.

Most of these parts will need more sessions in the cabinet, I've got the very worst of the hard paint off, I can now see the cracks, dents and wear in these parts and I'll get the MIG welder working soon to hopefully rejuvinate them.

NoviceD3er
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 35
April 1, 2019 - 2:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hang in there man, I admire your stamina! it is going to be an awesome rebuild, with a more awesome story!

d

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 2, 2019 - 11:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

NoviceD3er said
Hang in there man, I admire your stamina! it is going to be an awesome rebuild, with a more awesome story!

d  

Thanks for the encouragement, much appreciated.DD.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 2, 2019 - 12:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looking at the Facebook free downloaded parts book, my guess at a toolbox was correct for that part, it appears the bent over piece is where a rubber strap affixes, other end of strap looks like it goes to bottom edge of the battery box, it appears.

Next job was a timely rebuild of the footrests assembly, clevis pins are solid, as are the split pins, breaking them off and filing heads and tails flatter helped, but washers too were seized on.

I could have done with another pair of hands, as the Honda design is so awkward for holding in the average vice, I soon wished I'd tried to press clevis pins out, I ended up using two different parallel punches and bending both pins.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 2, 2019 - 12:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fifteen parts to one footrest assy. seems quite a lot, compared to similar, smaller, British bikes.

A quick whizz on the wire wheel soon makes things look better.

I thought these rather poorly made items at first.

Then noticed a corrsponding dimple in adjoining non moving main part, how sensible of Honda to fit a sprung loaded footrest, like a trials etc bike, that helps prevent crushed feet, in an accident.

Ps, Imanaged to straighten the clevis pins OK in my hydro press, but new ones wouldn't have cost the earth, or, I could have made some new ones on the lathe, or failing that, maybe used the Litchfield ones. No sweat.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 2, 2019 - 12:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Used a 16th drill bit to get the remains of split pins out, checked the box of stuff from Litchfield haul and was reminded that I also have another full assy.

I began rebuilding one side, just to be sure I understood exactly how all the parts went, each side seems to a simple mirror image. But it's nice to have an actual copy in your hands, as well as the parts book.

Simple once you understand how it works. I shall blast it all before painting of course, but I'm not sure about the internal working parts, which are still a good working fit, after all this time, corrosion notwithstanding. I'll probably leave the rubbers on the metal pegs too, I see no reason in maybe damaging them in removal, just to then damage any paint I put on the metal pegs.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 2, 2019 - 5:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Problem was a snaped off bolt in the inner chain guard tinware, much agitation via aggressive wire wheel certainly cleaned it up, but nothing had changed, WD40 made no obvious difference either, I did think about lots of heat, but metal isn't that strong, I don't want warpage.

I didn't think of trying the two locking nuts method at the time, I must admit.

By grinding surface around side where captive nut was, flat, I was able to use a new auto centre punch and make a dimple that drill bit could stay in, using bigger ones in increments, I finished up with a 5 mill item and offending piece came spinning out.

I wasn't quiite dead on, but conclusion was luckily, the same.

Oddly, thread turned out to be a 7mm item, rather unusual on a bike, I think.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 4, 2019 - 6:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I enjoy tackling bikes in my own way and time, there's no rush on when you're retired, you could say it's just another bike build, but there's a bit more than that to it, my elder brother had a blue K4 I think it was and I rebuilt the engine one weekend, back in the mid 1970's, so there's often a 'connection' somehow with those I take on.

The handlebar assembliess are quite often a full job on their own...

Bubbling rust doesn't bode well.

I think the Japanese may well have been one of the first countries to use all ally bar controls, both levers and anchor points, at leastr they used steel ferrules in the levers to create some better wearing 'bearings' or surfaces, at least.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 4, 2019 - 6:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Some say you're not an experienced rider until you've come off a few times...I hate to see such things, myself, as it often means wear or damage somewhere else.

Front brake lever appeared to have fallen out with its adjoining anchor.

I've bought a new lever, but I do have some technology to improve this a bit. 

I worked away, somehow expecting to see a switch and/or wiring for front brake indicating going to rear brake light, I surmised wrongly, looks like I got my bikes mixed up and such things were fitted to later, or maybe more upmarket bikes?

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 4, 2019 - 6:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

No comment.

I finally managed to get the wiring from both side switches out of bars, I did some of the damage myself, due in part to the awfully hard now wire covering, I hope to replace it with shrink fit stuff that'll be a bit more forgiving.

A much better set of bars came with the stuff from Litchfield. Both had different numbers stamped on them in the same place, to measure them more accurately, I stood them up on their ends, they were the same length and had the same holes for cables etc.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 4, 2019 - 6:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The bent lever, I had a feeling I could improve it, so why not have a go.

I first removed the plastic cover, a dose of the wire wheel removed most of the ally oxide that had been trapped beneath it, I thought about heating it all up before reaching for the three foot scaffold pole, but on second thoughts I realised it wasn't really worth the gas, so gently straightened it cold.

Hardest part was here, pivotal area is so short that getting a good grip is almost impossible, ally jaws were used on steel vice jaws, but they caused everything to keep slipping.

I did as much as I could and later tried lever in bars anchor area again, not perfect, but now useable, if I should get desperate.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 4, 2019 - 7:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I hope to use these rubber bushes again, they've softened up a bit in the ultrasonic cleaner.

The 'free' second carb that was fitted to a spare engine will come in handy. It's a lot cleaner now, but filthy water containg grease and dirt didn't help a lot.

The ally yoke had a session in cleaner too, maybe wire brushing it was a mistake though, but using new, very fine wire wool helped a bit.

Just doing whatever takes your fancy and leavibg the bigger boring and difficult jobs to later, is no way to run a business of course, but I'm just enjoying myself here, that's what it ought to be all about, I think, not a 'duty' as some would have it.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 10, 2019 - 11:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Was thinking of putting some primer on the side stand.

Amazing how original (?) speedo reads only ten thou, yet worn side is as thin as paper.

I put a spike into a small hole on what I thought to be a solid steel ball here, just made it bigger, but it will weld up all the better, whilst welder is out, I plan to weld a bit of eighth or thicker plate to stand bottom of foot area.

Paint will have to wait, I found muck and rust concealed under flap of thin metal too.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 10, 2019 - 11:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Extra pair of pillion footrests from Litchfield appear to be better quality, nickel plated perhaps.

I'll probably run the rubbers through the ultra cleaner before fitting new split pins etc. It looks like the square type washers are also plated.

The CD175 uses a very simple but efficient method of locking the rear rests in each position, the rubbers are the key, moving the rest up or down forces the washer against the rubber, compressing it, once at rest the natural qualities of the rubber in trying to revert back to its original shape is all that's required to keep things in tension, a pity BSA etc never thought of such a simple and easily maintained method instead of the heavy cumbersome items we had to use?

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 10, 2019 - 11:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

A couple of coats of gloss on the already primed items suddenly makes it seem like this rebuild has finally begun in ernest.

One of the rear footrest support brackets is an extra, I've just realised, but I'll just use beat two of course.

Even the main battery box got treated to both primer and gloss the same day, I could have fiddled about with filler etc and tried to cover every tiny little acid crater, but I'm a realist and imagine that item won't be scrutinised by any would be later on purchaser, Honda rivet counter, etc.

The side stand to main frame bracket came out well, a pity the stand itself couldn't have joined it. But I've only just begun.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
April 10, 2019 - 11:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

A set of drop bars came with the last haul of stuff, they look fine at first glance.

There's a bit of corrosion here.

Bike they were on may even have been slightly dropped! 

I put them on a flat surface and tried my best to ascertain whether they're actually bent or not, but didn't come to a final conclusion, if anyone's interested, PM me please, £10 plus postage, I'll try to put more pics of them on if you do.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 98

Currently Online:
4 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

Anderzander: 3209

bart: 3137

Sprung Chicken: 2650

Mags 1: 2512