A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Honda CD175 twin, four stroke of 1972 vintage.
Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2508
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 4, 2019 - 12:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

** Please log in to view **

Minus seat and fuel tank, (removed, not missing), pleasure at winning auction was quickly evaporating and 'what have I done?' thoughts were beginning to form...

Snapped off key in ignition switch, no centre stand, rotted seat, and half a pound of filler removed from fuel tank revealed all was not well!

After sorting wiring out, both mudguards were paint stripped, ready for sand blasting, only now could I see the extent of the decades of wear, salt damage and poor storage etc.

Four now on the road and at least several in bits.

swalsh58
St. Mary's Bay, Kent
Club Dating Officer
Committee
Forum Posts: 1122
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
March 4, 2019 - 1:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I did one of those a couple of years ago, I passed my test on a 68 sloper back in the day. The silencers are tricky to get hold of, David Silver occasionally gets hold of pattern replacements, but they are not cheap.... Engines last forever, slow but dependable. Rest of the parts should be available through eBay etc, quite a few tanks around I'm sure.

Good luck with it, they are good little bikes.

Current bikes......1958 D5, a 77 Suzuki GT250 and a 77 Honda CB125S. I have a 74 Kawasaki S3 400 and a B175 waiting for restoration. A 1980 Honda CB400N waiting for MOT.  Everyday ride is a 2011 Harley Davidson Sportster. 

Blue Heeler
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2141
March 4, 2019 - 1:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have seen petrol tanks about...or are you going to sandblast and fibreglass that one? Actually, it looks a bit far gone, even the top looks well rusty.

Had an L-reg CB 175, quite a few mods, incl 2-into-1 front pipes with megaphone, it sounded great wound around to the red line through the gears. Rebuilt the engine a few times, pistons and rings didn`t like my riding style.

Digby
Leeds West Yorkshire
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 479
March 4, 2019 - 4:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I feel your pain Mags,I've recently bought a KH250 triple that is not what it was supposed to be,the real disappointment came when I checked the engine which had been given the OK by a Triple " Expert" left hand crank bearing had just three balls left init and a completely knackered cage,so complete tear down required goodness knows what other horrors are lurking!

A bit of honesty from sellers would make a nice change.

1968 D14.1965 Honda CB160,1978 Honda 400/4 Supersport,Honda Innova.D10 silver ( JPS) 1968 D14Sport under restoration.

stubaker58
Sunny Felixstowe
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 323
March 4, 2019 - 5:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve got a ‘68 CB250 in boxes waiting it’s turn. The tinware was pretty ropey but then it had been under a hedge for 30+ years and at least was not described as anything but knackered!

One owner, who rode it until it stopped the stored it for repair ‘later’.

D7/14 hybrid (4 speed with D7 crank etc.) on the road, D10 Bushman awaiting rebuilding.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
March 4, 2019 - 7:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Four replies!

Thank you lads, that's very encouraging, I had planned to get stuck into one of my two Cubs by now, but I had my head turned, as they say.

Just hope I live long enough to get most of these bikes completed if not on the road, onward and upward...more pics later.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
March 4, 2019 - 7:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

How come that bodgers always seem to get first go at most bikes?

Part of problem with switch not supplying the lights current, was that someone beat me to it again, they'd snapped off all the little tabs that keep switch together.This switch has three positions, there are dozens on ebay, but are all only two position ones, it would appear, after PM'g many sellers.

Just don't mention the front forks!

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
March 4, 2019 - 7:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gutter type bolts come in handy on Hondas, being metric threaded.

I bless the day I discovered hydro tables, without a centre stand on bike, I can at least use side stand blocked up, front wheel clamped and a strap on back end, for safety.

Forgot to mention that seat needs a lot of work too.

Took Mrs to Wrexham in Wales yesterday, where a lot of folk seem to have bikes, I came back with half a boot load of much better stuff, including two spare engines, a set of blue forks, a centre stand etc.

Must make a start soon now.

SpacedMarine
Up north
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 319
March 4, 2019 - 8:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

"TWO SPARE ENGINES!!!" 👏👏👏👏😂😂😂

What's 7/16 in mm again?

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
March 6, 2019 - 9:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You better believe it Spaced!

Took the strengthener/rear winker mounting plate out by drilling through spot welds, old wood chisel came in handy too.

Also removed the front stenthening bracket, just so many spot welds to find and elmiminate, bracket is holey and rusty, paint stripper was trapped behind it too, removal was my only option. It will all be worth it soon.

Strength inducing central part was soon knocked up out of similar thick material. 

Will get sand blaster cabinet fired up once wet weather passes, then I hope to see some progress. Someone on Facebook advised me to forget doing it this way and use fibreglass over it all! Buying a bike like that with who knows how much rust and GF mixed under the paintwok doesn't bear thinking about, for me, anyway.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
March 7, 2019 - 9:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Was going to try to get patch exactly flush, as per old removed bit, opening ragged holes up into rough squares butts up to at leat stronger metal, but the chances of getting an exact fit is going to be almost impossible, new plan is a patch of thin stuff at back and filler on topside.

Having no main stand, I improvised with a bike jack on hydro table, a mess and difficult to work at, to be honest.

Luckilly, the haul from Wrexham did contain one, yippee!

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
March 7, 2019 - 9:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

With centre stand fitted and back end strapped to table, I was able to remove front wheel and forks, also engine, not sure why I'm going so far with this, as Mrs asked me if bike was capable of carrying two and I answered in the affirmative, she somehow concluded from that the bike was well on the way to finished....other engine and parts of two others barrel;s etc.

A pair of side panels, a much better seat, a good set of forks, a spare swing arm assy. a bettter air filter, the list of stuff I bought was seemingly quite expensive, but if I get to use half of it I'll have saved a lot more, by not buying each item separately and dozens of post and package charges.

Getting somewhere at last, but where?

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
March 7, 2019 - 10:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here, I suppose, maybe I was unconsciously playing out a Facebook piece by a man who'd stripped a CD out and found very similar to this, the long piece of metal is the rear brake anchor, two up at speed and an emergency stop maybe would possibly havehad bad consequences for us.

I only turned frame up so that I could get better access to the rusty split pin locked bolt and nut holding it onto swing arm.

Swing arm is shot.

Thank goodness the bought in one is a much better proposal.

SpacedMarine
Up north
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 319
March 8, 2019 - 12:04 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good job you went so far there mags as you may have dodged a bullet.You'll get there.

What's 7/16 in mm again?

Blue Heeler
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2141
March 8, 2019 - 10:37 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Quick work Mags, I can see why your missus thinks she`ll be up and running soon, haha

Can`t beat the good old job lot, I`m like a kid in a sweetie shop when going through a bargain haul.

Blue

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
March 8, 2019 - 4:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not sure if the CB range of simlilar Hondas share same harness, a P.O. cobbled up this earth strap, good job the CD doesn't enjoy a starter motor (normally) or there could have been a fire....folk do like to 'dabble' don't they?

Tried my longest pair of circlip pliers to get clip out that holds forks innards together, pliers prevented me seeing what I was doing, Mr Haynes says there's threads that hold the chromed tube on.

A 'tin opener' type of job later, on the worst of old legs proved him to be incorrect.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
March 8, 2019 - 5:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

For a bit of balance, new haul also contained a reasonable looking air hose for carb.

And a spare carb. and cable, too.

Annoyingly, once a very slight upturn is sensed, another downside usually and quickly follows it.

I doubt there's a square inch on this bike that hasn't seen many various 'enthusiasts' over the years, doing various 'repairs' etc to it...but it's certainly a challenge.

Tomorrow we drive to another destination for further s/hand goodies, hopefully, they look OK in the ebay pics...

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
March 8, 2019 - 5:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

A positive step was to purchase a good (?) secondhand fuel tank from ebay, a pile of blue paint from stripper later, it was ready for sand blasting, I managed to find a small hole near tap though.

One P.O obviously liked his connector blocks, found another four around ignition switch area.

An upside is that Wrexham front lamp has a much better reflector with it, also plastic headlamp holder has no serious damage like the one here.

Main supply to headlamp bulb had its two lots of insulation shrunk back somehow, for common sense reasons I immediately remedied that situation, it seems that some folk with good vision don't always bother using it and carry blithley on, just hoping things are OK...a five minute snipping and resoldering job is all it needed, I sometimes get vexed by such silliness.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
March 10, 2019 - 5:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Smaller bracketry is stored conveniently ready for blasting, I can forgo the paint stripper with a bit of luck on most items.

In case I have to destroy the chromed tubes on the forks to access the deeply set circlips holding inner parts, I tried these 'Bantam' type fork gaiters. Not a bad fit, actually.

A cheap and cheerful fuel tap is an early but good buy at around £15 incl. of postage and packing from China.With gasket, screw and washer, a complete package ready to fit and forget some day.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Forum User
Site Member
March 12, 2019 - 1:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Last things to remove from frame were top and bottom yoke bearing cups, I used a piece of copper bar, ten inches long by about 3/4ers thick, top one eventually gave in but bottom one was a pain.

Twenty minutes later, in desperaton, I resorted to a bigger hammer and a piece of round, mild steel.

Couldn't see what I was doing very well and ended up putting a tiny crack in bearing, it's worn as well, but I feel I may have put the rebuild back a long way now.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 98

Currently Online: swalsh58
20 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

Anderzander: 3209

bart: 3137

Sprung Chicken: 2650

Mags 1: 2508