A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
new member 1953 D1
nedbonnierider
New User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 9, 2019 - 1:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi folks ,Finally managed to get logged in after getting a computer literate youngster to help .He was as amazed at my ability to service his chinese 125 as i was with his computer skills. «censored» i feel old (58) !!!!.

Just picked up a 1953 plunger D1 . Few questions  The Haynes book of myths and legends doesn't help with. I've loosely assembled it . It has the AC direct lighting so i assume the lack of a brake light is correct or does it get power from the dry cell battery for the side light ? , There doesn't seem to be an engine (magneto)cut out switch so i suppose there is no idle on the carb and it just dies off throttle . The points have been replaced by a small brown "made in Sydney" Austrailia  box . I'm told its a pick-up off a chainsaw is this any good ??.  Anyway , i look forward to getting it up and running.

Other bikes are ,Triumph T140 x2

Triumph pre-unit T110 ,

Norton rotary,

BMW K100 ,

Indian 741 scout.

Bantam should be good fun .

Blue Heeler
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2094
February 9, 2019 - 2:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome Ned, you`ve come to the right place, we`re short of nothing we`ve got, in the info dept.

Yes, close the throttle to stop her.

Here`s a couple of links to read up on...

** Please log in to view **

** Please log in to view **

I think that Haynes manual used a D7 strip-down, I know it`s been less use than a chocolate teapot for most of the Bantams I`ve done over the decades. I just made it up as I went along, until the Internut came along to jog my memory for settings etc.

I agree,they`re good fun.

Blue 

sunny
Norfolk
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1081
February 9, 2019 - 3:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

hi   NED   the    3volt    800  typ   two sell  batery  only  serplyed  power  to  the    2.5  volt   parking    lamp   at  the  frunt   no t  enuf  power  for  a STOP LAMP   from  it  or  the  generator    a low cost  up  grade  may  be  posable      ,, no  cutout  was  fited  to     D 1.3. 5& some  D7 s  only closing  the  throtle     ..  ATOM   is  the  name  of  the  brown  thing  for  the  mag  coil  ,,    a  bit  of  TLC  needed      Sunny

cocorico
Central France
Forum Posts: 2624
February 9, 2019 - 4:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome. If you join the club you get access to the Members' Area (there's a surprise) where you can find all the BSA Service Sheets, together with lots of other info. Also, a good way to search the forum is to type this into your browser query box:

keywords site:bsabantamclub.com/forum, where keywords are what you are looking for, eg  d1 brake light, petroil, etc.

nedbonnierider
New User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2
February 9, 2019 - 4:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks fellas ,just joined and already more info than other bike forums i have been in  !!Cheers .

swalsh58
St. Mary's Bay, Kent
Club Dating Officer
Committee
Forum Posts: 1001
February 9, 2019 - 4:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to the forum, lots of good information on here and lots of good members too! If you get stuck try a search because its probably been asked before and if you cant find what you need, just ask. Someone will know the answer......famous last words...

Current bikes......1958 D5, a 77 Suzuki GT250 and a 77 Honda CB125S. I have a 74 Kawasaki KH400 and a B175 waiting for restoration. A 1980 Honda CB400N waiting for MOT.  Everyday ride is a 2011 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster. 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 98

Currently Online:
10 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3303

Anderzander: 3208

bart: 3128

Sprung Chicken: 2650

David Dale: 2491