A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1970 B175
sacharlton
First Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 22, 2021 - 6:42 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi all.

New to this club and new to restoring a Bantam. I inherited some bikes from my dad, some of which are not complete. One is a BSA 1970 B175 Bantam. It was repainted (badly) and had leg guards , a rear rack with side bags and a fairing with screen. I have found out it was black originally and will endeavour to restore it to its original condition. I am confused with the petrol tank. Should it be a mix of chrome and paint or solid paint please? It has the chrome strips along the tank.

Any help would be good. Image attached of how it was when I started it.

ThanksIMG_8842.JPGIMG_8852.JPG

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
sunny
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1744
January 22, 2021 - 9:39 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

thats  a  nice  thing      the  rear  rack  was  usly  fited  to the older and biger  BSA s sutimes  without  the  side   kit  bags    just  a  lovely  Bantam   it mite  have  been  sent   from  bsa  without     chrome  panled  tank   i think you  shoud  do  some  homework  on it  befor  a  stripdown    get  to  Tim  with  the  fram & engine  numbers

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3372
January 22, 2021 - 10:03 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi and welcome. As Sunny says, that looks to be a nice example. If it was your Dad's especially nice to keep 'as is', but up to you, of course. For me, the first thing would be to get it running and registered before any restoration (other than for road worthiness), you look to have everything there, apart from the badges.

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 748
January 22, 2021 - 12:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looks like all it needs is a nice soapy bucket of water and a splash of go go juice and you're in business👍🏼good one!

What's 7/16 in mm again?

Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
Forum Posts: 1133
January 22, 2021 - 1:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Steve and to the Club and Forum. Nice looking bike you have there. It's a good idea to let other users have an idea of your experience when you join so they know how to respond. Also where you are in case anyone nearby can help.

You will find just about everything you could ever want on the Forum via the FAQs and technical sections;  ** Please log in to view **

Have a really good nose around the forum and enjoy yourself. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Good Luck!

All the best,

Stewart

'55 D3 Battery; '58 Square Four (project); '59 D1 direct lighting plunger; '59 Tiger Cub; '60 5TA;  '76 FS1-E; '91 GTR 1000;  '97 Honda Sky SGX50.

sacharlton
First Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 2
January 27, 2021 - 1:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks all.

It is registered and have spoken with the club for its history etc. It was dispatched to Milnes and sons of Leicester on 5/8/70 the original colour logged is Black, that's all the info I have.

If there was an option for no chrome on the tank in that year then black it is. Just for clarification although it was my dads he never got around to restoring it and got in a swap so there are no emotional ties to me restoring it. I do have a few that he did restore and they take pride of place.

I have it all except and exhaust & badges. I found a thread from 2012 which had a very similar bike but I think the member has since left. Either way I shall endeavour to replicate this look but with the totally black tank. Image below.

Cheers

Stevepolice-bike.jpg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
robbo
leicestershire
Second Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 24
January 27, 2021 - 4:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Remember Milnes very well in my younger days. There first shop was on Green Lane Road and had a bay fronted window with a Bantam on top of it.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online:
15 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3372

Cornish Rooster: 3109

bart: 2687

Blue Heeler: 2543

David Dale: 2346