A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Sealey 'Mightymig 150' Welder
lbayorkie
Otley, West Yorkshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 409
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 13, 2020 - 4:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was given a MIG welder today. Never welded before but I understand its quite easy to teach yourself how to use a MIG welder, albeit I may have to refer to YouTube!. I also need to download the manual to work out how it operates and what the flexible plastic tube is hanging out the back! Its fitted with a 13A plug so I assume its OK to use on a domestic supply.

One question is that its set up to be 'gasless' but can be converted go operate with gas, and I would like to know what difference that makes.

Thanks

Alan

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
swalsh58
St. Mary's Bay, Kent
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1445
April 13, 2020 - 4:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you are set up for gasless, then you need to buy the gasless wire. Its ok but not as good as with gas. The problem with using gas is getting and storing it, and its another variable to add to the learning curve. With MIG welders the best advice is to buy the best you can afford, as the cheap ones can be very difficult to set up the right speed and power setting

Current bikes......1958 D5, a 77 Suzuki GT250 and a B175 almost ready for the road and a 76 Honda C90 in the workshop. A 1980 Honda CB400N now on the road and my everyday ride is a 2011 Harley Davidson Sportster. All bikes (except the D5) are now for sale...

Blue Heeler
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2698
April 13, 2020 - 4:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You`ll have fun with that.

Once you`ve set the amps and spool speed according to the job in hand, you`ll be well away once you press that trigger.

I`m a qualified and time-served general welder, but not used a gasless Mig.

Generally, a gas, in this case CO2(Pub gas 🙂 ), is to prevent oxidation of the weld, just as flux does during stick welding. 

Have you got the protective gear to go with it?

Blue

lbayorkie
Otley, West Yorkshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 13, 2020 - 4:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Blue

Ive got some thick leather gauntlets and a face shield/mask. Ive got some sturdy leather footwear as well. Shield has a window with a clear inner pane of plastic and an outer darkened one that hinges upwards. I think these are normally used without gas so the quality of the weld must still be quite good. Can you still use conventional flux to stop oxidisation I wonder. 

bantammad
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 251
April 13, 2020 - 5:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi bantammad era your gonna have fun with your new toy once you got your speed and feed mastered perhaps Blue and myself come and do some nick . Forward reverse bend tests or maybe a strain gauge,linear porosity checks and such like just joking. Handy bit of kit from the shed Les 

Blue Heeler
Top Gear User
Site Member
April 13, 2020 - 5:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The wire that Steve mentioned, for the gasless, has this covered. 

Try welding two bits of tin together and then check the quality of the weld. Then see if you can break the weld.

At one garage(1985), not many bikes to do during the winter months, I did a lot of car bodywork. I found most French cars the worst for spitting back and we made the assumption that their metal suppliers threw everything into the melting pot. I still enjoy welding, but quit car bodywork due to fumes("you never see an old welder", they say, haha...and sure enough my hair analysis still shows up certain toxins). For years, I`ve paid a local chap to do my car panel welding. He brings his tiny beaten-up mig with equally tiny CO2 bottle and faulty trigger mechanism he keeps swearing at and dismantling...but hey, he gets the job done and his rates are good.

Don`t set fire to your shed/garage...seriously 

Just read post from Les, I`m standing by 🙂

I lived with a family of artists(mates of Picasso), and the old American chap, one of the GI liberators of Paris, was an art teacher, but at home he`d weld metal sculptures and I`d provide worn-out agriculural items for him to incotporate. One of his sons built the giant statue to the Welsh mining disaster the other year...that must`ve taken some welding.

Blue

lbayorkie
Otley, West Yorkshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 13, 2020 - 5:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just where to use it is an issue. I have a double garage but theres plenty of flammable stuff in it so might be better to use it outside.

I will look into getting an extinguisher in any case. Probably a CO2 one.

Alan

Blue Heeler
Top Gear User
Site Member
April 13, 2020 - 6:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

lbayorkie said

I will look into getting an extinguisher in any case. Probably a CO2 one.

Alan    

🙂

Yeah, I prefer welding outdoors(less fumes too), most of my welding has been outdoors. In 1980, used an engine-gen kit stick welder on a trailer for welding up quarry Heavy Plant. Fabricated a brand new axle for the swan-neck of a Cat D8 Scraper, 2 weeks work on my Jack Jones, fitting it in between maintaining 3 quarries. £600 worth of high tensile & dissimilar welding rods+the new steel plate sections. Still worked out 1/3 price of a new one...and it was stronger....well, was holding up 20yrs later.

You can save a lot of money having your own welder and I still get a kick out of repairing and making stuff. My first welding at college was strong enough, made an axle stand, still got it. Looks a bit like pigeon poo... to make up for lack of penetrative weld, I gave it several beads of weld. I`d trust my life with it, but hid it away for years. Stick (arc)welding again.

Mig welding is great for the more delicate jobs, where minimum distortion is required. Thin metals.

mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1718
April 13, 2020 - 6:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

buy yourself an auto darkening welding helmet, Arc-Eye can do lasting damage to you eyes
** Please log in to view **
or cheaper on ebay from China

D? - D10- D14 Bantams 350 AJS -500 Triumph http://bsanotru.....lfire.com/

Blue Heeler
Top Gear User
Site Member
April 13, 2020 - 7:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

mike p5xbx said
buy yourself an auto darkening welding helmet, Arc-Eye can do lasting damage to you eyes

I`ve met folk that had to quit welding due to pink eye, migraines etc.

My father was a welding inspector in Persia, on pipelines. Following WWII crash-landing head injury, he didn`t weld anymore, epileptic for 50yrs(until he totally cured himself &  flushed his meds down the loo)

Three of us nippers sat in the car, Dad driving us under a bridge being welded(another job I went on to do), don`t look at the welding he said, it`ll damage your eyes. Of course I always did exactly the opposite....but the arcing was about 30ft above!

not henpecked
Near J 11 of M42
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 273
April 13, 2020 - 7:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Alan

Like you I was given a MIG welder for doing someone a favour but mine was a made in Germany and rated at 90 amps. I bought a Pub bottle of Co2 and connected it all up and then tried welding bits of metal together.

The advice I was given if the wire speed is to slow the wire will disappear into the nozzle, and too fast the nozzle will pushed away from the bits you are welding. Once I mastered that, someone said "It should sound like frying bacon".

I've now had my welder for more than 20 years and it's still going strong. Since I've owned it I've used 2 bottles of pub CO2 but now my local supplier now has a different supplier which as far as I'm concerned is just as good.

Before I had my MIG welder I bought a SIP 140 amp stick welder and have had it even longer. It's great for steel of 2 mm and thicker but thinner I blow holes or tend to have the rod sticking!

I find the MIG welder is much easier to use and use it in my shed otherwise any slight breeze blows the CO2 away from the nozzle. The stick welder on the other hand can be used in a howling gale - well almost.

A couple of years ago I bought a cheap auto darkening head shield - brilliant and if it went belly up I'd rush out and buy another.

Finally - I'm not a welded and completly self tought. Once you have mastered it, you will be welding all sorts of things you didn't even think of...!

Hope this helps.

B175, on the road. Honda XBR 500, and ....... Suzuki Burgman 200 scoot! Nicknamed "The hair dryer" - by me I hasten to add; & great storage under the seat when you get to your destination.

lbayorkie
Otley, West Yorkshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 13, 2020 - 8:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wire speed doesnt mean anything yet but Im sure it will make sense when I read up on thensubject and watched a few videos. Thanks for the tip. I will look at an auto darkening helmet. 

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 2091
April 13, 2020 - 11:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Working outside is ok...but reflection onto your shield visor can be a nuisance...and if its blowy the gas gets blown away from the weld area...not good.

I have an old pub type Co2 bottle...£5 to fill it...lasts me for ever...but has to be tested every so many years.

You will find lots of tips on the forum in the link and tutorials.

Grassless welding to me is very poor.

My big is only 130 amp...I stick with 0.6mm wire.

Be lost without my MIG...I have an ARC for bigger stuff.

Nick.

My Bantam video              https://www.you.....jpOFmzRZRI

bantammad
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 251
April 14, 2020 - 2:39 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi bantammad era its right what a place to find interesting and knowledge folks no matter there’s someone got the solution to the problem its great keep it up chaps. From the shed Les   Oh I’ve just got myself another Banty now then?

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3588
April 14, 2020 - 7:40 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Try Sealy for a manual. ** Please log in to view **

1956 D3 running, lights to sort. 7 other bikes in the Barn. 1950 D1 engine now running.

lbayorkie
Otley, West Yorkshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 14, 2020 - 7:42 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

At the moment Im spending as little as possible but will look for used gas kit and visor and get hold of some non fluxed wire. 

JackE
Buxton, Derbyshire
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 30
April 27, 2020 - 12:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

mike p5xbx said

i-agree

I thoroughly endorse this recommendation, Alan - once you've tried an auto-darkening shield, the only thing you'll use the old type for is as a doorstop!  It makes the job so much easier than fumbling around, totally blind until you strike an arc - and as for arc eye . . . an idiot I knew in London was detailed off to help a welder, holding heavy parts in position for him.  What did the welder say?  "DON'T look at the arc!"  What did said idiot do?  Looked at the arc!  Next morning, when he woke up, his eyes felt as though they were on fire, and he was blind.  It was several days before the pain died down and he regained his vision - and I'm sure that, in those few hours, he'd done irreparable damage to his sight, even if it took a few years to catch up with him.

Re. risks of setting the garage on fire;  if you look at videos on YouTube, you'll see that an angle grinder is a much higher fire risk than any welder.  Any significant breeze will definitely cause problems with blowing the gas away, but you could try working in the garage / shed with the doors open, or alternatively rig up one of those beach shelter /windbreakers around you.  As far as the risk of poisoning yourself goes, bear in mind what other posters have said as to how long a bottle of CO2 lasts them - you are probably exposed to a greater level of CO2 sitting indoors on the sofa with your wife!

Jack

lbayorkie
Otley, West Yorkshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 27, 2020 - 12:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think initially at least I will stock to gasless welding. I dont think I will use it very often and  the investment in a gas kit seems hard to justify.

I will get some anti-spatter and see how it goes.

Thanks

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 2091
April 27, 2020 - 2:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You maybe surprised how often you use it when you get it up and running.

My Bantam video              https://www.you.....jpOFmzRZRI

JackE
Buxton, Derbyshire
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 30
April 27, 2020 - 4:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

nickjaxe said
You maybe surprised how often you use it when you get it up and running.  

. . . and not just for yourself.  Cue all sorts of people coming out of the woodwork . . . "Oh, you've got a welder?  love-it Would you mind just doing this little job for me?  It'll only take you a few minutes!"

Ask anyone who was rash enough enough to tell his friends "I've just bought a lathe" . . . bow

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online:
9 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3588

Cornish Rooster: 3310

bart: 3125

Blue Heeler: 2698

Sprung Chicken: 2653