A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Round Britain Run Aug 2015
Beachy Head Boy
East Sussex
Second Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 26
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 15, 2015 - 9:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well done Rick - in fact well done all. Nice to see Bantams actually RIDDEN!

Cornish Rooster
Area Rep
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2917
August 15, 2015 - 10:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Again more to follow on the full story once I have recovered, we headed for home yesterday afternoon from near Hay on Wye. Alan and myself headed back to Devon and Cornwall, and Paul headed off to Northampton, after a 250 mile run I arrived home in Cornwall at midnight, an endurance test for sure.

Total mileage for myself on the "tour" was just under 1500 miles in eight days, needless to say I'm still a bit weary, the D1 is still going strong but could use some maintenance and a clean. 

Phil

BSA Bantam D1 "150" in use regularly often as general purpose transport, quite a few other bikes as well. Cornwall Area Rep. 

CharlieCeng
Guests
August 16, 2015 - 12:07 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Many congratulations guys, we are all looking forward to the story!

Piquet
West Norfolk
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1846
August 16, 2015 - 6:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Line up at the BSA Bantam Club Rally, Marsham, Norfolk

P1010843-rsz.JPG

At Moulton Windmill, near Spalding, Lincolnshire

P1010856-rsz.JPG

P1010857-rsz.JPG

On the Yorkshire Moors

P1010858-rsz.JPG

P1010859-rsz.JPG

P1010860-rsz.JPG

Stanhope Station, County Durham

P1010861-rsz.JPG

P1010863-rsz.JPG

The Salutation Inn, Shoreswood near Berwick-upon-Tweed.

P1010864-rsz.JPG

The Scottish Border

P1010867-rsz.JPG

Newcastleton in the Scottish Borders

P1010868-rsz.JPG

Carnforth Station, Lancashire

P1010870-rsz.JPG

P1010876-rsz.JPG

P1010877-rsz.JPG

The Anderton Boat Lift, Northwich, Cheshire

P1010878-rsz.JPG

P1010879-rsz.JPG

P1010880-rsz.JPG

P1010881-rsz.JPG

P1010882-rsz.JPG

Well over 1100 miles for me at an average of 31 mph.

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

I'm not a complete idiot ............................................ some parts are missing.

Cornish Rooster
Area Rep
Site Member
August 16, 2015 - 6:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good collection of photos there, oddly almost the same ones as I have. Good to hear everyone got home safe and sound. I will eventually write a piece for the VMCC Journal, it will be a long story.

It was great to meet everyone and we can all now put some faces to names, hopefully at some point we will get back together again.

Phil

BSA Bantam D1 "150" in use regularly often as general purpose transport, quite a few other bikes as well. Cornwall Area Rep. 

HowD1
Exeter, Devon.
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1540
August 16, 2015 - 7:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes cracking pics PK - they more or less tell the tale!

HowD1
Exeter, Devon.
Top Gear User
Site Member
August 16, 2015 - 10:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, what 'appened was.....

Characters: Rick, (red D1 150), Alan  (green D1 150), Steve (blue D14), Ross (blueish B175), Doug and Ronnie (AJS 650 then Trumpet Bonneville), Neil (500 Rudge special), Bryan (250 Suzy Djebel), Dennis (red B175), Paul (black B175), Phil (green D1 150), Rich (blue D14 feldkitchenvagen), Denis (red 125 D1 with screen). Refer to PKs excellent pics too.

Thursday: set out from grey but dry Exeter and met up with Alan on the Stockland X roads and then met with Dennis +van +dog at Chard. We then rode up through to Shaftesbury, Wilton, up the valley to Amesbury and then over the hill to sunny Hungerford. Dennis found it really hard to keep up! Eventually we got to sunny Ivinghoe and the hilltop campsite where Steve and Ross were already set up then Den arrived with his large white van. The site owner wasn't too happy, and nor was Den being asked to stay in the barns area facing the bins. Uh oh! Total 185 miles approx.

Friday: Wall to wall sunshine. Doug and Ronnie, another Dennis, Brian and Neil turn up with more bikes old and new, and so the merry party set out for parts east and soon split up. Through Bedfordshire and into Cambs, soon we were into Norfolk. Along the way there were fields of roses and acres of wheat. Steve's B175 had a few points issues then in the fens Doug's AJS threw a fit (or maybe more seriously a big end) so he needed rescuing. We continued on to a road closed sign and followed the diversion round Upwell then carried on to Swaffham, and finally across country through Reepham to Marsham and the show. Dennis's (B175) energy transfer coil system died about 2m from the show site, some kindly gent saw his predicament and dropped into the show with another coil or two and they soon had it running again. Total 315 miles

Saturday, Sunday: With the weather warm and the beer flowing we stayed put at the show site and met up with Bantam chaps and rode into the ring, and out again....Doug went home with Mr RAC to Surrey and returned with Hinckley Bonneville. The beer tent ran out of Adnams (bad news)  but the Bantam Rally was a huge success thanks to Jon Ballard and his efforts. Brilliant.

Monday: dawned bright and sunny. Today was due to be a long day - and it was. Paul, Phil and Rich had joined the throng, though we'd lost Ross and Dennis (with the Bantam) (as opposed to Dennis with the van and dog - keep up!) and unfortunately Steve, who was due to come with us to Wisbech, stopped after his D14's coil failed. It took 5 hours before his rescue turned up. Not good eh? We bashed on, around King's Lynn to Horncastle via Moulton Mill then we stopped at Coningsby and the Memorial flight museum for a brief lunch before heading up to the Humber bridge. Just as we got there the rainstorm that had shadowed us for the last 50 miles dumped millions of gallons of rain on our square mile (or so it seemed; manholes lifted, rivers of sewage flowed down the road etc) and in 15 minutes it was all over. We were soaked! The rest of the party seemed to miss it somehow... Then the run up through Yorkshire - Pocklington, Stamford Bridge, Sherriff Hutton and then up to Oswaldkirk and the campsite 3m short of Helmsley and last year's Nat rally site. Down the pub after tent's up! Total 550 miles.

Aug-2015-Round-Britain-020-800x401.jpg

Tuesday: Bright; too bright. Another Denis (note spelling) joined, another (very smart) Bantam. Over the shoulder of the North Yorks Moors and then brief stop for Alan's clutch cable refit. Then over the flat bits of Yorkshire to Staindrop where we had tea. Up amongst the snow poles over the moors to Stanhope and lunch at the station, and brief welding for Neil's Rudge in the units alongside the station. On again, grey and a spot of rain to Blanchland (this is Beamish Trial territory) and then Corbridge. I think the assembly of 6 Bantams rasping through the narrow streets turned a few heads. Or maybe it was the blue haze...Then up over Hadrian's Wall (hmmm) and on to Rothbury and a Rich (Feldkitchenvagen) brew. Neil and Bryan take a left turn and nearly arrive back at Corbridge....then up to Wooler after a couple of hiccups with Rich's D14, which then coughed again before Berwick - in a terminal way, unfortunately. Soon we were at the Salutation Inn and campsite. Stripped Rich's D14, decided it was not prudent to carry on so then Dennis had a permanent crew member (plus dog + two Bantams - a proper menagerie). Two miles from Scotland, total 730 miles.

Aug-2015-Round-Britain-028-800x400.jpg

More tomorrow chaps!

HowD1
Exeter, Devon.
Top Gear User
Site Member
August 17, 2015 - 12:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wednesday: saw us cross the border into Scotland and follow the lovely roads south west along the border through Kelso, Jedburgh and down to Newcastleton where we all stopped for coffee and a bun. As we rode away Phil's chain went south so we fixed that then got over the hills and far away (the sun was shining yet again) down to Brampton and then on to Ullswater in the Lakes. Stopped for tea amongst the crowds, Denvan got interviewed on TV as he had a wild beast with him (not Rich, the dog!), the RAF turned up in a couple of Jaguars and we attacked the Kirkstone Pass with gusto and all of the gears available! Neil and Brian missed the turning and visited Windermere (heh heh!) whilst we turned south and slid through the lanes to Milnthorpe and a stop at Carnforth Station, famous for the film "Brief Encounter". They were setting up for an evening's concert but treated us royally and allowed us to have drink and food despite having been closed for over an hour. Marvellous. Finally we breezed into our campsite at Garstang in brilliant evening sun. Total 925 miles

scots-border-800x613.jpgcarnforth-800x504.jpg

Thursday: Bright but some cloud to the southwest and a stiff breeze. We left Garstang and headed east through Ribchester to get up to Belmont and avoid Preston. Down off the hills to Riplington we came to the first of today's road closures and works that were to prove a headache. In Westhoughton we dodged the queues to get into Atherton and then got lost, so did others. Finally we found our way down to Leigh and then Culceth but the B5212 was closed and the route round the flamin' Wrekin to get to Warburton Toll bridge (over the Manchester ship canal) took forever. Eventually we got to the bridge (12p toll!) then headed through Cheshire (who moved Gt Budworth?) and met up at the Anderton Lift in Northwich for lunch. Neil and Brian were an hour late due to getting lost and it appears that signs and fingerposts are being removed/lost/left to rot at an alarming rate. We certainly had trouble getting to Warburton Br ourselves and I had only done that in reverse last August. Anyway fed and watered we continued along the Cheshire and Shropshire lanes and B roads round Shrewsbury to Pontesbury and soon we got into rain and Bishop's Castle. Grey and a bit miserable, we'd been spoilt by the lovely weather up to then (apart from the carwash at the Humber Bridge) so whilst the others opted for a bunk room, the tough Bantamites (impecunious to a man) opted for the camping option. Suffice to say it p***** down. Total 1110 miles

Anderton-lift-800x241.jpganderton-lift-2-800x434.jpg

More later....the final episode: "The Circlip of Doom"

HowD1
Exeter, Devon.
Top Gear User
Site Member
August 18, 2015 - 12:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Friday: The weather was shocking. A quick assessment using the latest technical products from around the world revealed that it was raining and could rain for a hour or six depending on who you looked at. As if to punish us it even came down harder so we decided to do the obvious thing and get a good fry-up in the town. Yum.

Denis (note spelling) had previously opted to head home to Nottingham today anyway and sat it til 4pm and bimbled off getting home quite late but (as with the rest of the ride) without any bother. Brian and Neil did the same, though much earlier, and Doug went for it as he had a place already paid for on Exmoor.

We got back from the caff and decided to go for it. The alternative was to stay another day....but campsites were booked and people were expecting us to drop in and...well we packed up. On the road the rain eased though we were a bit late, and I had said we'd drop in to see Bantam racer Nick Bramley at Kington as I had met him previously, and as we were coming right past his door it would be wrong to just scoot past without saying hello. Drop in we did, Nick making tea for us all, explaining stuff he does and taking pics etc so that was triff.

Over the hills to Hay and the little toll bridge then, as the weather looked very threatening, we headed east towards Hereford and then I suddenly got a screech, clutch in, silence, clutch out, ok?, ran for 10 seconds, then SCREECH, clutch in, coast to a halt. Game over.

A circlip had come loose and wrecked both piston and bore. At this point it was clearly terminal without major engine swapping etc and we just didn't have time or facilities by the road side so I reluctantly called Den. The others, Paul, Phil and Alan all decided to press for home (it's now 2pm ish) with Paul just getting to Brackley before dark and on to Northampton and family using cycle lights due to low charge rate (home the following day in daylight), Phil and Alan heading for the SW with Alan getting home in Honiton in the dark with virtually no lights, and Phil getting back to Cornwall after a marathon 250miles at around midnight.

Not the ending I'd wanted or hoped for but a question of needs must.

CIMG0674.JPGCIMG0665.JPG

Top: the busted piston

Bottom: Happier times at Ivinghoe; the crew at that stage - me with grandson Henry, Alan, Neil, Steve, Den and Ross.

But it is not all over; as I write this I'm fixing the engine (back to a 125) and Den is coming on his GPO D1 with me to finish it off round the SW this weekend. Headway have got back to me and we have raised around £200 so that's good, plus I've met so many great chaps and ladies on our jaunts, and seen such magnificent scenery and empty roads that it's all been very worthwhile. My total? about 1160 miles and counting.

There'll be more Bantam "flights of fancy" next year too! First, this weekend....

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
dimitris
CYPRUS
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1256
August 19, 2015 - 10:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice pictures, nice stories...should be an amazing trip! That's a lot of miles!!!!!

Sorry about that damage Rick!!!! so you have an 125 cylinder and piston to install??

I would never expect that a circlip could cause such a mess!!!!dohdoh

BSA D1, 125cc (1952)---BSA D10 Sport 175cc (1967)---Triumph Cub T20 (1960)

Cornish Rooster
Area Rep
Site Member
August 19, 2015 - 4:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

All in my Bantam covered 1487 miles and managed to get me home with no major problems, the bike was down on power for a lot of the trip even after we made a temporary repair by using high temperature sealant in place of a head gasket.

Anyhow today I thought I should give the Bantam a good check over, here is what I found, amazed it kept running with only one piston ring, and one missing circlip, just look how that piston is eaten away, only half a piston ring on the top of the piston, yikes !!

** Please log in to view **

HowD1
Exeter, Devon.
Top Gear User
Site Member
August 19, 2015 - 5:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yikes indeed! But it wasn't like that when you applied goo, was it?

Or did we both ride through a super magnetic hotspot that made our circlips leap for freedom?

And where is the rest of it.....

Gosh, Crumbs and Flamin' Heck! They do keep going, don't they? Maybe I should have fettled my piston up at the roadside with a bit of granite and some baler twine and t'would 'ave got me 'ome...!

dimitris
CYPRUS
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1256
August 19, 2015 - 6:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

OMG!!! cant-lookcant-lookcant-look
So, cylinder is gone too, right Phil??

BSA D1, 125cc (1952)---BSA D10 Sport 175cc (1967)---Triumph Cub T20 (1960)

Cornish Rooster
Area Rep
Site Member
August 19, 2015 - 6:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The cylinder bore is not too bad but has a bit of damage around one of the ports which could probably be tidied up. But I am ok as I have a spare barrel, one of my Ebay purchases that I was keeping for a rainy day.

jess steele
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1574
August 19, 2015 - 6:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

looking at phils piston,rick you could get another 1500 miles out of your yet..

HowD1
Exeter, Devon.
Top Gear User
Site Member
August 19, 2015 - 6:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You're right Jess - I'm firing up the 9" grinder as we speak....soon have it shaped up

AlanInDevon
Guests
August 19, 2015 - 7:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

«censored» allmighty phil its amazing how the critter kept goin m8, think ill take my head off just to see if all is well ,....

Cornish Rooster
Area Rep
Site Member
August 19, 2015 - 7:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Alan,

Yes would be a good idea to have a sneaky peeky, you did say yours was a bit noisy, best to check. How mine managed to keep going on that long run back from Hay is a wonder, one thing I will never forget is that sign by Bristol Airport "Plymouth 102 miles" not something that brings joy to to the heart when on a D1 Bantam.

Oily Rag
Guests
August 19, 2015 - 8:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My word!  Those last few hundred miles must have been powered by goodwill, chaps!

bow

HowD1
Exeter, Devon.
Top Gear User
Site Member
August 19, 2015 - 9:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

ah, no, Steve, Citroen diesel in fact. With Den, Rich and the dog.

So I sang to the dog "clowns to the left of me; jokers to the right; here I am, stuck in the middle with you...."

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online:
17 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3559

Cornish Rooster: 2917

Blue Heeler: 2434

bart: 2433

David Dale: 2144