A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Round Britain Run Aug 2015
HowD1
Exeter, Devon.
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1540
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 24, 2015 - 12:22 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

A gang of us are going to attempt to ride all round the UK (or England if the weather is unkind) mostly on Bantams to coincide with the National Rally near Norwich. There'll be daily stages of around 180miles with some days slightly shorter, and everyone is invited to come along for the lot, or a bit, or just to wave, as you wish.

In due course I'll publish on here the places and dates and some idea of a route that we might take so that you can ride along/throw rotten tomatoes/buy gallons of beer for us. 

Dates? roughly 6th to 16th Aug for the round England only ride, but add another 5 or 6 days to take in Scotland (JoG) too if the weather is fine and reasonably settled.

Rick

xcgb
Guests
April 24, 2015 - 8:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great idea! Hope it works out for you, what could possibly go wrong!claptip-my-hat

If I can get to a part of the route I certainly will

Jezz

Piquet
West Norfolk
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1846
May 3, 2015 - 2:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm hoping to make this trip if all the plans come together. fingers-crossed

thanks_giffor the offer Rick, separate message sent via email.

I'm not a complete idiot ............................................ some parts are missing.

xcgb
Guests
May 3, 2015 - 6:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Is there a route yet?

bantam1954
Guests
May 3, 2015 - 7:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Rick:

Not sure I'm going to get enough time between the proposed end of the run and my trip to The Isle of Man.

With that in mind I'm probably setting out this coming Thursday/Friday to ride the four compass points + lands End and John o Groats BUT I'm going on my 1926 Raleigh !

Oily Rag
Guests
May 4, 2015 - 9:51 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm going to the National Rally and will be (was?) riding in from Northamptonshire, so happy

to join the group on the last leg into the Rally, from wherever that might be.

Happy to join in.  Splendid idea, Rick.

Looking forward to seeing the route/itinerary.

~Steve~

HowD1
Exeter, Devon.
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 5, 2015 - 11:15 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

xcgb said
Is there a route yet?

Yes there is....

6th Aug ....Exeter to Ivinghoe (Aylesbury) via Honiton, Sherborne, Shaftesbury, Salisbury, Stockbridge, Newbury, Goring, Watlington, Tring, Ivinghoe.

7th Aug ....Ivinghoe to Marsham - Bantam Club Rally (Norwich) via Dunstable, Ampthill, Biggleswade, St Ives, Downham Market, Swaffham, Marsham

8th/9th Rally

10th Aug...Marsham to Helmsley via Fakenham, King's Lynn, Sutterton, Horncastle, Wragby, Humber Bridge, Market Weighton, Malton, Helmsley

11th Aug...Helmsley to Berwick-on-Tweed via Osmotherley, Middleton Tyas, Staindrop, Stanhope, Blanchland, Corbridge, Cambo, Rothbury, Wooler, Berwick.

At this point we will assess the weather and a possible diversion(?) to John O'Groats but at the present time I think it more likely we'll stick to England's extremities and do Scotland another time as it adds another 5 days riding (plus a couple of "rest" days) onto the Schedule. Assuming the weather is typical and the general consensus is to Not do Scotland then the itinerary carries on along the Border and then heads south:

12th Aug...Berwick to Garstang (Lancaster) via Kelso, Jedburgh, Newcastleton, Kirkcambeck, Brampton, Lazonby, Matterdale, Patterdale, Staveley, Crook, Milnthorpe, Caton, Quernmore, Cockerham, Scorton (Garstang)

13th Aug...Garstang to Bishop's Castle via Trough of Bowland, Longridge, Belmont, Leigh, Culcheth, Northwich, Nantwich, Whitchurch, Wem, Shrewsbury, Bishop's Castle

14th Aug....Bishop's Castle to Winsford (Exmoor) via Hay-on-Wye, Usk, Chepstow, old Severn Bridge M48, Avonmouth, Cheddar gorge, Taunton, Bampton, Winsford.

15th Aug....Winsford to Land's End via South Molton, Great Torrington, Holsworthy, Tintagel, Wadebridge, Padstow, then North coast all the way to Land's End (avoiding Newquay....)

16th Aug....Land's End to Exeter via Helston, Truro, Bodmin, St Neots, Launceston, Okehampton, Exeter.

Looking at a map you might think that major roads are involved but I've tried to keep it to nothing bigger than B roads, except the Old Severn Bridge which is unavoidable but at least we only ride for about 3 miles on the M48 and most big traffic is on the new bridge anyway. Quite a lot of the roads are C class and "worse" though I haven't included anything that has grass or is tarmac free (more's the pity).

Scotland would be: Berwick - Aberfeldy/Aviemore - Wick/Thurso - Fort William - New Cumnock/Dalmellington - Garstang. No further details as yet but I have had professional advice that suggests we would struggle to achieve that comfortably.

My aim is to enjoy the ride, see places I've never been before, take in some classic roads, and have some great fun. More details later.

Rick

HowD1
Exeter, Devon.
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 5, 2015 - 11:18 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oily Rag said
I'm going to the National Rally and will be (was?) riding in from Northamptonshire, so happy

to join the group on the last leg into the Rally, from wherever that might be.

Happy to join in.  Splendid idea, Rick.

Looking forward to seeing the route/itinerary.

~Steve~

Check the route out Steve - Biggleswade? StIves?

Oily Rag
Guests
May 7, 2015 - 9:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So, I will join you for the presumed overnighter at Ivinghoe on the evening of the 6th and

ride onwards with you to Marsham, if that's OK 🙂

tip-my-hat

Bournemouth Bantams
Guests
May 8, 2015 - 10:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Rick

Which way are you going from Truro, up the A39 then on the A30? or are you going on the A390 through St Austell.

Howard

HowD1
Exeter, Devon.
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 12, 2015 - 11:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oily Rag said
So, I will join you for the presumed overnighter at Ivinghoe on the evening of the 6th and

ride onwards with you to Marsham, if that's OK 🙂

tip-my-hat

No problem - I'll add you in to the list for Ivinghoe. More details to follow.

HowD1
Exeter, Devon.
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 12, 2015 - 11:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bournemouth Bantams said
Hi Rick

Which way are you going from Truro, up the A39 then on the A30? or are you going on the A390 through St Austell.

Howard

Hi Howard -

I was thinking of running up to Fraddon via Ladock, then alongside the A30 up to Innis Downs, then past Lanhydrock, St Neots, Minions, and over to Launceston. Then use the old A30 all the way to Exeter. Done this route a number of times.

Alternatively we could cross the Tamar at Gunnislake/Tavistock/Dartmoor so a more southerly route might work - say up through the clay district to Lostwithiel, drop in to you, then back up over to St Ive and Callington....

Rick

Bournemouth Bantams
Guests
May 15, 2015 - 10:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

When you decide let me know as I may try and get some time to ride a bit of the way with you.

"H"

HowD1
Exeter, Devon.
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 24, 2015 - 10:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

No probs H, will let you know.

HowD1
Exeter, Devon.
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 24, 2015 - 10:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Can anyone recommend a campsite in or near Helmsley, N.Yorks that will be happy with a small group, one night, 10th August.

Ta.

HowD1
Exeter, Devon.
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 25, 2015 - 10:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

HowD1 said
Can anyone recommend a campsite in or near Helmsley, N.Yorks that will be happy with a small group, one night, 10th August.

Ta.

sorted.

HowD1
Exeter, Devon.
Top Gear User
Site Member
July 19, 2015 - 11:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

With just under 3 weeks to go I'm still sorting the route details but we have a group of around eight bikes coming and Jon Ballard seems to think that there'll be a BIG number of Bantams at the Marsham show so it's all looking good at the moment.

If anyone wants to tag along then just let me know. Campsites are all done but an extra person won't hurt.

Rick

CharlieCeng
Guests
August 12, 2015 - 12:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I met Rick & Alan at the National Rally at the weekend, at the end of the long first leg, up from Devon to Norfolk. I took some pictures and I put a link to Headway Devon on my blog, here:

** Please log in to view **

There's now over 75000 hits on the blog, so hopefully it will drum up some publicity for this charity - which I guess many less fortunate bikers, and other head injury victims benefit from.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

BonesCDI
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 330
August 12, 2015 - 2:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for posting this Charlie,

I have been speaking to Rick about the trip, and he didn't let on he was raising money for such a good cause.

So the BonesCDI team, which includes Chris "Paxo" Gamble at Rooster Ignitions have made a donation and hope others in the Bantam community support "our own" as they make this trip.

P.S. Hey Rick, is your Bantam now the long range adventurer tourer D1? 

Bones, Gary, Chris

Running and project bikes from 1912 -2005..........She hasn't said stop yet.........

HowD1
Exeter, Devon.
Top Gear User
Site Member
August 15, 2015 - 5:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Fellas

thanks Simon for doing the link, and thanks Bones et al for the donation (and everyone else who does the same) - it was very much a last minute effort to do something for Headway who do a lot for bikers with head injuries as well as others with brain injuries. 

We've all made it safely back to home - albeit due to one major hitch a bit early without getting to Land's End. Full story to follow soon when I get an hour to tell the tale.

Rick

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online:
13 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3559

Cornish Rooster: 2917

Blue Heeler: 2434

bart: 2433