A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Boxing Day 2015 in Wickham, Hampshire
Derek's D5
Banter Editor
Club Librarian
Club Member

Club Member
Forum Posts: 1170
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 27, 2015 - 10:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hampshire peeps, if you need a bit of fresh air and an excuse to ride your bike or drive your classic car, bring it to the charming village of Wickham just a few miles north of Fareham on the A32. The Boxing Day gathering in the village square gets bigger every year. It's not just for classic and vintage vehicles though, there will be bikes of all types, cars, tractors, fire engines and whatever else you can put an internal combustion engine into. There were four bantams there last year! It's an unofficial gathering so no admission charge, just turn up and give the locals something to stare at! Also it gives the local bakery a bit of a boost because they know that bikers like bacon rolls and coffee! Early birds get a parking space in the square. Latecomers will end up on the main road. It starts filling up by 10.00.

Skid
Hampshire UK
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 111
December 23, 2015 - 10:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Didnt know about this one till I saw Dookies post. Sounds interesting and the weather looks like it might not be too bad for once. Good excuse to get out so I'll try and make it.

Derek's D5
Banter Editor
Club Librarian
Club Member

Club Member
December 23, 2015 - 10:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hope the weather will be OK. I will look out for you, Skid. Red D7 isn't it? I usually park over to the left side of the square as you come in from the main road, where the Co-op is, but I may end up anywhere there's a space if it's busy. The other local bantams might be there, and the local BSAOC branch people will definitely be there. It's always good fun.

Skid
Hampshire UK
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 111
December 24, 2015 - 9:22 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yep,red D7 it is Dookie. Sounds like theres nothing stopping you using this for the first run on the project D5 now either .Good show!

Whats a good time to turn up in the square to get a good spot?

Derek's D5
Banter Editor
Club Librarian
Club Member

Club Member
December 24, 2015 - 10:40 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Definitely get there by 11.00. I don't remember what time I got there last year, but I am never early because I have to take the dogs out first. Last year I was on the left side by the co-op, but Pat and Ade (the guys from the BSA camp) were over the opposite side by the One Stop. I guess the cars and the catering vans start arriving around 9.00 or even earlier because they are always already there when I come through the square with the dogs. I will aim for 10.00 but it depends how slow the dogs are. They don't like to get up early!

Bournemouth Bantams
Guests
December 24, 2015 - 10:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Does the traction engine with living van still go, that was always fun when that arrived totally blocked the square.

Saw some visitors trying to get their car out of a parking space around 11.00 one year, they were getting really irate but it was a waste of time trying to move any 4 wheeled vehicle out of the square at that time of day.

If you see any of the guys from either the Waterlooville motorcycle club or Solent section of the BTSC, one of our guys usually has his scouter and side car with trailer dressed as a sleigh, say hello from me.   

"H"    

BSAdave
London
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1206
December 27, 2015 - 9:56 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Did you end up going ?

index.png

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

D1 D3 D5 D7 Suzuki TS 125, Yamaha YDS7 250 and a Narrow boat called Firbob. https://www.you.....SVE5bEFErg

Derek's D5
Banter Editor
Club Librarian
Club Member

Club Member
December 27, 2015 - 1:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think I left my camera on 'workshop setting' so they are not great pics. Weather was warm and the sun came out a little so the place was heaving. Took me about 15 minutes to do a lap of the square that should take about 10 seconds. Found a potential parking spot next to a green D1 but the owner started to tickle the carb just as I pulled up, so I had to let him out. Then a big Matchless squeezed in. So I did another slow lap of the square and ended up in a remote corner with a bunch of Honda Goldwings. Again had to wait until someone left before I could squeeze in between a Royal Enfield and a Harley (owned by the grizzled guy in the middle of the pic, covered in club badges, said he used to have a black and cream 1959 175cc bantam).

Note I have put tinsel and stuff round the headlight. No-one else seemed to have bothered with decorations.

RIMG1598.JPG

This one was my favourite. An old BMW. Small enough for me to ride too.

RIMG1597.JPG

There were a couple of Vincents, and a huge crowd of admirers.

RIMG1593.JPG

See how it is mostly blokes standing around drooling.

RIMG1596.JPG

Derek's D5
Banter Editor
Club Librarian
Club Member

Club Member
December 27, 2015 - 1:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

A nice M20. Grandad rode one of these in the army but probably not this one!

RIMG1586-1.JPG

This was after the place had emptied out a little. Some of the scooters have left.

RIMG1587.JPG

A shiny Velocette.

RIMG1588.JPG

Don't remember seeing one of these before.

RIMG1589.JPG

And a lovely old Triumph but it was the registration number that caught my eye.

RIMG1591.JPG

Saw a few forum members. Next time the tea/coffee is on me!

Derek's D5
Banter Editor
Club Librarian
Club Member

Club Member
December 27, 2015 - 1:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bournemouth Bantams said

If you see any of the guys from either the Waterlooville motorcycle club or Solent section of the BTSC, one of our guys usually has his scouter and side car with trailer dressed as a sleigh, say hello from me.   

"H"    

On the way through the square with the dogs about 8.30, I saw a guy with BTSC on the back of his hi viz vest, but couldn't spot the same guy later. The place was chock a block. For some reason there was a huge anti aircraft gun / missile launcher or something right in the middle of the square!

Just for a change, the bantam started first kick with a huge crowd watching! Last year, I kicked and I kicked and I kicked, just like Lone Wolf in his song...

And a chap asked me if I use a lead additive to protect the valves.

Mags 1
Northamptonshire.
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1753
December 27, 2015 - 3:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for making the effort and posting Dookie, I did nothing over Xmas at all except go for a long walk on Xmas day, yes, all the mince pies have now gone!

PS, you should have told the enquirer that it's a very "cammy" motor and all "top end" that would have confused him!

Four now on the road and at least several in bits.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3559

Cornish Rooster: 2917

Blue Heeler: 2434

bart: 2433

David Dale: 2144