A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Vintage transport gala weekend at Buckfastleigh Station 10/11th sept
HowD1
Exeter, Devon.
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1680
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 8, 2016 - 12:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

{opening bars of 'Greensleeves' in the background}......

.....'Tis that time of year again as the evenings draw in and the leaves begin to change.....

....{sound of needle skating across a record}....doh

Enough of all that nonsense, it's the vintage gala at the South Devon railway at Buckfastleigh. Steam, cars, bikes, buses, WW2 stuff. Something for everyone (there's butterfly world and otters too).

There's likely to be a Bantam club contingent there, particularly on saturday morning, from around 10am onwards for a good part of the day.

For those of you unable or unwilling to bring a bike and avoid the carpark queues then why not travel by BR to Totnes, or by car to Staverton, and catch a steam train to Buckfastleigh.

Enjoytip-my-hat

R

HowD1
Exeter, Devon.
Top Gear User
Site Member
September 13, 2016 - 7:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

As the overnight rain finally cleared Bernard (immaculate, green D3) and I (scruffy, red D1) met up in Exeter at 9am; by 10 we were ordering coffee and breakfast in the station cafe, then David turned up (B175, red, tidy) and shortly after 11 in came Keith (D3, green, all over!).

The weather soon brightened after the early morning threat of rain in the forecast (it came sooner than expected) but had evidently put exhibitors and punters off and so the numbers were a bit down.

Nevertheless we all had a good chinwag and then were joined by Brian (in his car, again!) and later by Ron (D14 but not quite ready) - so a reasonable turn out and a good ride out and home. By the afternoon the weather was warm and bright for the return trip 

IMG_0369-800x599.jpg

Rick

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Piquet
West Norfolk
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2126
September 13, 2016 - 10:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was wondering how you all got on, glad the weather was kind. It threw it down virtually all day on Saturday here and I was hoping you hadn't got the same after your RBR2 experience!

What a great place Buckfastleigh is and a lovely timewarp picture (ignore the modern clothing!).

I'm not a complete idiot ............................................ some parts are missing.

mikef
Chatham Kent
Club Technical Advisor
Committee
Forum Posts: 941
September 14, 2016 - 7:27 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi.
    Yes, I agree Piquet. Buckfastleigh is a lovely place, unfortunately I didn't arrive there till late afternoon on Saturday and was not with Bantam. We did as suggested and parked in Totnes and did the round trip to Buckfastleigh and back on the steam train.Had a good afternoon.
Mike.

** Please log in to view **

HowD1
Exeter, Devon.
Top Gear User
Site Member
September 14, 2016 - 10:36 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

sorry we missed you Mike! We got off about 2pm....

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online:
15 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3248

Cornish Rooster: 3154

bart: 2832

Blue Heeler: 2664

David Dale: 2422