A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
SpacedMarine's D14
SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 446
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 22, 2019 - 7:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I did em to 12 thou it was the plug that was 25 🤣 just screwing the plug into the head so the spark is exposed to the centre of the combustion chamber it's an old trick apparently 😁

What's 7/16 in mm again?

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1888
August 22, 2019 - 7:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I must be tired...thought it was the points....just had another read...yes indeed the plug.

My Bantam video              https://www.you.....jpOFmzRZRI

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
August 22, 2019 - 7:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So indexing...are you saying the plug is facing a certain way?

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Site Member
August 22, 2019 - 7:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah just so the electrode is pointing away from the centre so the spark isn't obstructed by it.wouldnt matter on yours as the plug is in the centre anyway.I reckon a slightly smaller main jet and a longer straight It'd do 70 easy as it feels like it picks up a little right at the top end.Lighter piston and rod doing its thing maybe?

What's 7/16 in mm again?

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Site Member
August 26, 2019 - 9:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So thanks to Mikew I have found a fault with the alternator.Screenshot_20190825-130851_Gallery-1.jpgScreenshot_20190826-211530_Gallery.jpg

It appears the yellow wire from the alternator has broken away.No worries a little solder and heat shrink seems to have fixed it.

20190826_200926.jpg

I now have continuity between green and yellow wires.However as is the theme one step forward and two steps back!The battery which was only replaced a short while ago has gone the way of the dodo again only managing to hold 4.5 volts!!!

I'm pretty sure the rectifier is also faulty as when it's running I'm getting silly numbers across the battery.Im talking 9volts!Maybe it's time for a decent rectifier or maybe a 12volt conversion as I have to buy a new battery anyway and the headlamp went pop.At least in a pinch with 12 volts you can find bulbs in the supermarket or local petrol station plus I can connect a charger for my phone/sat nav and put on an ignition key!heated grips hmmmm. 😜.

While I'm at it I'm thinking of adding a brake light switch to the front brake as I'm always conscious of having to dab the foot brake to let people behind know I intend to slow down.Has anyone else done it successfully?Doubt it would be too hard.

What's 7/16 in mm again?

Mick W
Chester/ North Wales Flintshire Border
Forum Posts: 795
August 26, 2019 - 10:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Lone Wolf did a front brake lever operated brake light ** Please log in to view **

Mick

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2970
August 27, 2019 - 8:28 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mick W said
 Lone Wolf did a front brake lever operated brake light ** Please log in to view **

Mick  

Gah - beat me to it! He also did a neat 12v conversion which is in FAQs while you're thinking about it; and as for batteries, I can recommend Motobatt ones (they do 6V too). They're not expensive from people like Busters (IMO).

1956 D3 running, lights to sort. 7 other bikes in the Barn, 6 runners (when I get time!) and a still in progress Morini 250

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Site Member
September 4, 2019 - 9:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

ta coco for reference the link is ** Please log in to view **

Took for a spin to the local biker night and broke down 3 times in a mile(lucky i only live a mile away :-)).Its definately boiling the battery.This bike restoration thing never ends does it ?

Looks like a 12 volt conversion is on the cards.Been looking at projector headlights what do you think?

** Please log in to view **

Far from original I know but may look quite good and could possibly be cheaper in the long run than changing bulbs?

What's 7/16 in mm again?

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
September 4, 2019 - 10:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Jame what volts you getting at the batt?

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Site Member
September 4, 2019 - 10:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

nickjaxe said
Hi Jame what volts you getting at the batt?  

Jumps all over the place but I've seen 9 at one point 

What's 7/16 in mm again?

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
September 4, 2019 - 10:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Have you got one of those multi-testers that gets knocked about by the bikes electrics...is it a cheap one...lots give meaningless results.

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Site Member
September 4, 2019 - 10:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It wasn't mega expensive has always worked well when I've used it on car electrics don't see why a bantam would be any different.

Besides that two cooked batteries in 6 months suggests it's not working 🤣.

May have to save up to get the bits I need as I've just put the car through the mot.Skin of its teeth job.Putting brake pads and an anti roll bar on it tommorow as they were advisories.Put an alternator and an airbag ECU on it last week.Did it on the cheap like but was still more than I wanted too 🤣🤣🤣

What's 7/16 in mm again?

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
September 4, 2019 - 10:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

No idea why Bantam electric batter cheap multitesters but they send them haywire.

I had a good one...had it for years...was steady as a rock on my bantam...till i blew it up...reverted to the cheapo one and its just like my mates on his Bantam...hey wire.

I have a little anolog...thats fine.

Cars and MOTs....one of the reasons I will never part with my near 50 year old Landrover...noting complicated on it.

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Site Member
September 14, 2019 - 12:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well I have taken the plunge and got a 12volt rectifier,12volt coil,battery and a couple of rotary switches to do the conversion.im hoping I can put the old wipac switches onto the new rotary switches so it will look completely original but have the 12 volts.Admitedly the switches wont line up with the letters on them as "E" would be redundant and the light switch will go off,pilot,main but I'm keeping the main/dip switch.Im going to go the whole hog and make a new wiring harness and wire it negative earth.Im hoping that it'll make the wiring a lot simpler plus I'm pretty sure it's due a wiring loom anyway as the bits of wire I have had to change have all been pretty corroded.

I'm also hoping that'll banish the electrical gremlins and I wont have to deal with them again.(famous last words!

I'm also wondering if anyone has used a modern alternator?I recently read an article in MCN cant remember the guys name but his father built a custom bike with a bleeding great engine.Anyway his son had used an r6 alternator on a v twin he'd built I was just thinking something similar may be an option?

What's 7/16 in mm again?

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Site Member
September 14, 2019 - 1:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Millyard was the fella

What's 7/16 in mm again?

Piquet
West Norfolk
Admin
Forum Posts: 2280
September 14, 2019 - 3:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

SpacedMarine said
I was just thinking something similar may be an option?  

It's ** Please log in to view ** and he's gone much, much further than fitting an alternator to a V-twin he's built!

Which V-Twin? He's built more than one (of all sizes) plus many other creations.

A more talented engineer would be very thumbs-uphard to find.

I'm not a complete idiot ............................................ some parts are missing.

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Site Member
September 14, 2019 - 6:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Piquet said

SpacedMarine said
I was just thinking something similar may be an option?  

It's ** Please log in to view ** and he's gone much, much further than fitting an alternator to a V-twin he's built!

Which V-Twin? He's built more than one (of all sizes) plus many other creations.

A more talented engineer would be very thumbs-uphard to find.  

It was his son I think he put two jap singles together and made a v twin.I know his father made all sorts of interesting things.

I'll try and find the article.

There you go.

What's 7/16 in mm again?

Piquet
West Norfolk
Admin
Forum Posts: 2280
September 14, 2019 - 9:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think you misunderstand, Allen is the guy that creates all of those machines.

He has a son who is/was into mountain biking and Allen also made a special MTB for his son that included a revolutionary gear system of his own design, built into the bike frame itself.

The bike that is featured in the video link above was a Velo that his father used in standard form and left it to Allen in his will. Allen bought another engine and combined the two to make a unique V-Twin. He casts/manufactures many of the parts himself for most of the machines he creates.

If you look back, one of his early engineering feats was to create a 5 cylinder (I think) engine from 2 Kawasaki 3 cyl two strokes over the weekend of a Motorcycle show using only hand tools and a welder.

The variety of machines he has built is amazing, from Multi-cylinder (a twin, 4, 5 & 6cyl) two-strokes, four stroke V-twins (from 100cc to 5 litres!), 6's, 8's, 12's plus replica works machines, none of which look home made, in fact most of them look as if they are production machines. The only one I know of that he didn't modify the engine was the bike he built using an 8 litre Dodge Viper V10 and even that he tidied away all the ancillaries so that it could almost be mistaken for a production machine.

The guy is amazing.

I'm not a complete idiot ............................................ some parts are missing.

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Site Member
September 14, 2019 - 9:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I guess I misunderstood.This is the only thing I've seen his face in.I was under the impression his dad did the same thing.Ive seen the Kawasaki and the "flying millyard" I'm sure he made a radial engine aswell.Im gonna have to have a look at some more of his stuff now 👍🏼

What's 7/16 in mm again?

swalsh58
St. Mary's Bay, Kent
Club Dating Officer
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1259
September 14, 2019 - 10:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Allen has articles in Classic Motorcycle Mechanics, and has been on tv quite a bit recently with Henry Cole. He is an amazing engineer and his creations are fantastic. 

Current bikes......1958 D5, a 77 Suzuki GT250 and a 77 Honda CB125S. I have a 74 Kawasaki S3 400 and a B175 waiting for restoration. A 1980 Honda CB400N waiting for MOT.  Everyday ride is a 2011 Harley Davidson Sportster. 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online:
11 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

Anderzander: 3208

bart: 3134

cocorico: 2970

Sprung Chicken: 2650