A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Neily's D14
mikef
Chatham Kent
Club Technical Advisor
Committee
Forum Posts: 876
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 31, 2019 - 3:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorry Sunny that was my attempt at a joke !!

Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
Forum Posts: 513
December 31, 2019 - 3:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I thought it was very funny, Mike laugh

'52 D1 direct lighting plunger, '58 Square Four (project), '59 D1 direct lighting plunger,  '59 Tiger Cub, '60 5TA,  '76 FS1-E

Aquarius
Second Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 39
December 31, 2019 - 5:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The B175 stand is 9" due to the extra length of the heavyweight forks.

Neily
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 75
December 31, 2019 - 7:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

laugh....maybe my d14 had a b175 stand fitted.all the d14 ones are advertised at 8 inches

Neily
Top Gear User
Club Member
December 31, 2019 - 10:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

mikef said
Hi Neil.
        I bought one of those stands a few weeks ago and it is OK. 8" is the correct. Your initial problem with the stand was that the bolts were loose in the mounting holes. This will cause the stand to be at the wrong angle effectively reducing the lift height when in use.
Another problem that affects the angle of the stand is wear on the lugs that act as a stop. If these are worn they can be built up a bit with weld.
I think that you won't know for sure until the stand bolts are sorted.  

superb mike

Neily
Top Gear User
Club Member
December 31, 2019 - 10:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

nickjaxe said
What was wrong with your old stand?  

its distorted due to low care and bolts being loose ....not worth playing with. ends worn too

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 659
December 31, 2019 - 10:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Aquarius said
The B175 stand is 9" due to the extra length of the heavyweight forks.  

This would make sense.

What's 7/16 in mm again?

Neily
Top Gear User
Club Member
December 31, 2019 - 10:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I know i have bought this bike and shes over 50 years old.  It has not had much care to be honest and i have restored a few like this.  raleighs had seized cranks.  List is endless BUT i have dug my heels in and i want to return this babe back to beauty.  I am sure it c an be done.  I just wish some parts were easier to find especially engine parts.  Going to be expensive but the groundwork will be done first followed closely by the engine.

I am sure it can be done  just time i guess and patience and pray i find nothing too drastic.

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 2065
December 31, 2019 - 10:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I can measure mine and take some pics tomorrow if it would help.

with age mine way going to far forward...making the stand appear short...just needed the mating surfaces building up with weld.

Most can be brought back to life.

Nick.

My Bantam video              https://www.you.....jpOFmzRZRI

Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
December 31, 2019 - 10:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don't think that we've seen a pic of the whole bike that you're working on Neil.Some of the wrecks that members have rebuilt are miraculous and a credit to their owners. It can take a long time to source the parts and gain knowledge of the bike by tinkering around patiently with it. Patience is the main ingredient. Perhaps, as coco suggests, you might want to get the engine running first? While doing that you could be stripping the frame and learning about the bike for yourself. It's way and away the best method of getting to know your bike. Books,pics, diagrams and forum questions can only give you so much info. Taking it apart and putting it back together again(a few times) is better than a million books. As you're finding, things are not always as they seem in the manuals etc. These bikes have been modified, adjusted, butchered, "improved" over the years and we all strive to get them back to their best. Less haste, more speed is often the way. Some people can wait years to get their hands on the original part they so desire but in the meantime have to come up with a solution of their own invention. You'll soon get the hang of it. Parts lists and diagrams are no substitute for dirty hands. Maybe concentrate on one thing at a time - ignition, stand or whatever - solve that first then deal with the next issue rather than trying to sort everything at once. Sorting things out one at a time is sometimes more encouraging than having a load of problems all at once. Especially if they are issues that you are unfamiliar with. You'll soon get it sorted. You've got all 2020 to sort it out😁😁 All the best Stewart

'52 D1 direct lighting plunger, '58 Square Four (project), '59 D1 direct lighting plunger,  '59 Tiger Cub, '60 5TA,  '76 FS1-E

Piquet
West Norfolk
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2324
December 31, 2019 - 11:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

** Please log in to view **

Topic from over six years ago .................... never did get confirmation!

Maybe now we'll find out!

I'm not a complete idiot ............................................ some parts are missing.

Neily
Top Gear User
Club Member
January 1, 2020 - 9:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My Bantamrsz_12320382.jpg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 2065
January 1, 2020 - 9:42 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Your stand has gone way to far forward...is that the new or old.

My Bantam video              https://www.you.....jpOFmzRZRI

Neily
Top Gear User
Club Member
January 1, 2020 - 9:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

S

mikef said
Hi Neil.
     It is possible that the crankcase has suffered damage in that area due to the rivets on the crankshaft coming loose and getting jammed. This can crack the crank case. Your cases may have been repaired but as the engine was running OK, then if a repair has been done then it doesn't seem to be causing any problem and looks to be a professional TIG welding job.
Mike.  

So assuming loose rivets were the cause what would be the fix...new crank?..or some other methods 

sunny
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1420
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
January 1, 2020 - 10:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

its  like  this ,, the  standard   litwight   forks   get  the  D 7 TO d14  stand    P/N 90  4729      ,,sport froks  get  the  stand  P/N 82 /8706  stand   ther  has been  some odd   D14   &   double    19 "  wheels  that  very close  to  the   bushman      with     with a  taller  stand     if  at  all   side stand  fited  fited  from  new     with  dropstand    an  op/exstra    ,,,,          Neily   it looks  like  both  the   fram  &  stand  need    welding  &  reseting          ,,,,,,  any  one  fiting  C 10  0r   C  11    forks     to  a  D 1, 3 or  5  can  expect  to  increse   the  hight  of   the  stand    i  think   i  mite  have  said this  befor  but   not  in  one  post     so  it  mite   get   mised  as  i  dont  say  much   realy

Nick_S
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Second Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 13
January 1, 2020 - 10:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, as nickjaxe says whether old or new, that stand is too far forward. Look at my avatar pic for how it should look, that bike was almost new when that pic was taken in '69!

2013 Triumph Bonneville

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 659
January 1, 2020 - 2:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm assuming if the crankcase has been welded the crank has been suitably repaired most probably had the plates removed but without looking you wont know.If it runs and theres no horrible noises I'd say you're good.

What's 7/16 in mm again?

sunny
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1420
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
January 1, 2020 - 3:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

any  welding   on  the  outside   shoud  be  left  along   as youl  see  its  been   welded  anyway    only  weld  on theinside  needs   cuting   back to miss  moving   parts       ,,welding   that  dont   look  good  tens to be  cut back   so  it  look  batter

Neily
Top Gear User
Club Member
January 1, 2020 - 5:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

W

SpacedMarine said
I'm assuming if the crankcase has been welded the crank has been suitably repaired most probably had the plates removed but without looking you wont know.If it runs and theres no horrible noises I'd say you're good.  

Wat purpose do these plates have on a crankshaft?? Silly idea

Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
January 1, 2020 - 5:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

There has been a lot of discussion recently and over the years about these plates, Neil. You'll find many, many opinions if you search the site.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: sunny, Bee175, bantammad, Ringting, JustinW, Number6
17 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3319

Cornish Rooster: 3314

bart: 3130

Sprung Chicken: 2654

David Dale: 2485