A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Neily's D14
Neily
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 75
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 29, 2019 - 9:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

potbank said
Hi , if it's a D14 frame then it should be 3/8 cycle (26 tpi)
Mike.  

might need help mike 

mikef
Chatham Kent
Club Technical Advisor
Committee
Forum Posts: 876
December 29, 2019 - 9:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Neil.
    Yes, I think that 3/8 cycle 26TPI is correct for the D14. Draganfly list the same part for D14 and B175 which is not correct according to the BSA parts book.
A helicoil or timesert would enable a standard bolt to be fitted. If you have managed to source the bolts then it would be possible to use a helicoil or timesert suitable for the bolts that you have obtained.

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 2065
December 29, 2019 - 11:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just drilled a fresh hole to take a fatter bolt...locktited the nut on...been on 4 years now still fine.

My Bantam video              https://www.you.....jpOFmzRZRI

mikef
Chatham Kent
Club Technical Advisor
Committee
December 29, 2019 - 11:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Nick that could be a good option.

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3319
December 30, 2019 - 7:42 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It looks as if you need to do some research on the internet. You have a link for timeserts, have a look at this site for helicoils: ** Please log in to view **

If you use a helicoil (and probably the same for a timesert) you don't need the original thread form for the stand bolt, it's probably easier to find a metric equivalent. You then look for that size helicoil. The kit comes with an oversize tap for the coil, you drill out the old hole for the tap, tap the hole, insert the coil and should then have a repaired hole for the stand.

You can probably find videos on You Tube to show how - most things are covered, maybe not Bantam specific, but it's all basic engineering. Example: ** Please log in to view **

1956 D3 running, lights to sort. 7 other bikes in the Barn. 1950 D1 engine being rebuilt (slowly).

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
December 30, 2019 - 10:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

mikef said
Thanks Nick that could be a good option.  

Pick your drill bit carefully to be a snug fit for the bolt....if you go down this route.

I am lucky...I have access to 1000s of nuts/bolts.

Neily
Top Gear User
Club Member
December 30, 2019 - 7:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So I bought a new stand for a D14...it turns up inch short!!

Anyone had this?

Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
Forum Posts: 513
December 30, 2019 - 8:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You don't tell us where it is an inch short?Top or bottom - a pic would be helpful.  Or where you got it? You certainly don't seem to be having much luck, Neil. You must be wishing that you'd stuck to the Raleighs. It normally isn't this difficult but perhaps you've just acquired a particularly awkward machine. Might be an idea to get your hands on a set of imperial taps and dies - there are plenty available on the internet -  and then you can check all these thread sizes for youself in situ as some of them may not be as recorded in the BSA literature or as featured on other members' bikes. Most members are only too aware that there are so many variations in everything on the bikes and often it's a case of finding the best solution for your particular machine. It all depends if you're wanting it to reach the same standards as your earlier velocipedes. Many of the bikes on here often have metric(shudder) components as that is likely to be what is produced nowadays. There are many rebuilders who have started off adamant that they wont have any mm on their bike but the circumstances can often dictate differently. Was there a particular problem with the stand that you've had to replace it now? The topic seemed to be about threads rather than the stand itself. We saw the bolts and they didn't look too pretty but didnt see the stand. It certainly does seem to be one thing after another for you at the moment but, hopefully things will get less complicated in the new decade. Nil desperandum, as they say.......

'52 D1 direct lighting plunger, '58 Square Four (project), '59 D1 direct lighting plunger,  '59 Tiger Cub, '60 5TA,  '76 FS1-E

Neily
Top Gear User
Club Member
December 30, 2019 - 9:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Inch  short top to bottom 

Think I bought a pup.hopefully I can bring it back to life....that or break it bought it from classic bike shop in redditch.

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
December 30, 2019 - 9:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Are you comparing it to your old one Neily.

Neily
Top Gear User
Club Member
December 30, 2019 - 9:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

yes nick. its inch shorter overallrsz_20191230_213120.jpg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Neily
Top Gear User
Club Member
December 30, 2019 - 10:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Am i wrong comparing old to new as looking online they all seem to be 8 inches in length

Neily
Top Gear User
Club Member
December 30, 2019 - 10:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Stoo63 said
You don't tell us where it is an inch short?Top or bottom - a pic would be helpful.  Or where you got it? You certainly don't seem to be having much luck, Neil. You must be wishing that you'd stuck to the Raleighs. It normally isn't this difficult but perhaps you've just acquired a particularly awkward machine. Might be an idea to get your hands on a set of imperial taps and dies - there are plenty available on the internet -  and then you can check all these thread sizes for youself in situ as some of them may not be as recorded in the BSA literature or as featured on other members' bikes. Most members are only too aware that there are so many variations in everything on the bikes and often it's a case of finding the best solution for your particular machine. It all depends if you're wanting it to reach the same standards as your earlier velocipedes. Many of the bikes on here often have metric(shudder) components as that is likely to be what is produced nowadays. There are many rebuilders who have started off adamant that they wont have any mm on their bike but the circumstances can often dictate differently. Was there a particular problem with the stand that you've had to replace it now? The topic seemed to be about threads rather than the stand itself. We saw the bolts and they didn't look too pretty but didnt see the stand. It certainly does seem to be one thing after another for you at the moment but, hopefully things will get less complicated in the new decade. Nil desperandum, as they say.......  

yes i love getting them back to how they were ...before and a year onrsz_wp_20160124_11_04_07_pro.jpgrsz_0w1h7892.jpg

Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
Forum Posts: 513
December 30, 2019 - 10:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Are you sure that the one that was fitted was original? Have you tried offering it up to the frame to see if it fits?  If it doesn't I'd be sending it back.... perhaps a pic of the "problem" stand that you're replacing might help diagnosis. You really aren't having the best of luckfrown

Edit:If you have a look on the forum there are quite a few topics about this, many of them with comparative pics regarding D14 and b175 and the inch - inch n a half difference apparently

'52 D1 direct lighting plunger, '58 Square Four (project), '59 D1 direct lighting plunger,  '59 Tiger Cub, '60 5TA,  '76 FS1-E

Neily
Top Gear User
Club Member
December 31, 2019 - 6:44 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

yes i thought i had read it somewhere. this one is 8 inches from hole centre to end of stand but everywhere i go they seem to be advertised at the same size

rsz_1rsz_20191231_063538.jpg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3319
December 31, 2019 - 7:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm afraid you are finding out the hard way what owning a 50+ year old bike can bring with it! You never know what 'improvements' a P.O. has made, original spares are hard to find and modern replacement parts can be generic rather than specific. For me, before starting to repair anything on the chassis, I'd get the engine running - it is the heart of the machine and is easier to sell-on if the rest of the bike then turns to poop - not that I think this one should! You may find it easier to repair your old stand, than fuss about over the new. One thing though, you need to have some mechanical skills to do many of these repairs, or buying them in is going to get very expensive.

Get it running - whatever the state cosmetically - and you can start to enjoy it more. You don't actually need a stand as long as there is a convenient tree, wall or lamp post to lean it on. Then you can start a 'proper' restoration, if you want to.

1956 D3 running, lights to sort. 7 other bikes in the Barn. 1950 D1 engine being rebuilt (slowly).

mikef
Chatham Kent
Club Technical Advisor
Committee
December 31, 2019 - 9:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Neil.
        I bought one of those stands a few weeks ago and it is OK. 8" is the correct. Your initial problem with the stand was that the bolts were loose in the mounting holes. This will cause the stand to be at the wrong angle effectively reducing the lift height when in use.
Another problem that affects the angle of the stand is wear on the lugs that act as a stop. If these are worn they can be built up a bit with weld.
I think that you won't know for sure until the stand bolts are sorted.

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
December 31, 2019 - 11:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

What was wrong with your old stand?

mikef
Chatham Kent
Club Technical Advisor
Committee
December 31, 2019 - 12:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Nick.
      I think that I can answer that question. The stand didn't lift the bike high enough and the bolts were loose in the mounting holes. Hopefully fixable easily enough.
What interested me in all of this was Stu's comment that D14 and B175 stands were different. I must admit that I hadn't seen previous posts relating to this and never knew that they were different.
It prompted me to look in the parts book and sure enough D14 part number 90-427 and B175 part number 82-8706.
So I can only assume that the B175 stand is different (probably longer) than the D7 - D14.
Anyone with a NOS B175 stand that they can measure?
I would like to ring BSA's technical department but cant find a number.

Mike.

sunny
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1420
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
December 31, 2019 - 2:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

hi Mike   the  BSA O Club   cannot  be  recheed  by  phone     if  thats   wot   you  wont    or   this  ern   i   beleave

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: sunny, Bee175, bantammad, Ringting, JustinW, Number6
17 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3319

Cornish Rooster: 3314

bart: 3130

Sprung Chicken: 2654

David Dale: 2485