A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Greg's B175 Rebuild
Highfield
Epsom, Surrey
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 44
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 27, 2021 - 9:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

After completing a D7 restoration earlier this year, my first attempt at restoring a classic bike, I now have the bug, (no, not COVID!!), and I've been looking around for an earlier or later Bantam and came across a B175 in bits. The plan is to rebuild the bike and replace whatever needs replacing, more of an oily rag type rebuild rather than a restoration.

After getting it home, I started the rebuild last weekend, (25th / 26th Sept. 2021), by assessing what bits I have and what's missing. The initial assessment of the larger items is that most of the mechanical parts are there but very few electrical or ignition parts.

Firstly, I'm going to start work on the frame and as I work on the rebuild I'm sure it will become apparent what smaller parts need replacing, especially thing like nuts and bolts etc. I have a tin of nuts and bolts that came with the bike and whilst some can be reused others have damaged threads etc. that will need replacing.

Here is a couple of pictures to get documenting the rebuild underway.

20210915_183403-v1-1.jpg

Transporting the B175 home in the back of the car.

20210924_141359-v1-1.jpg

Spread out on the floor.

In the bottom box with the flywheel, under the blue rag there are two barrels and another flywheel.

Greg.

larryc
burnley lancashire
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 234
September 28, 2021 - 10:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That looks like a nice Basket case, good luck with it, looking forward to seeing your progress

Larry

D1 plunger 2 x D3 plunger projects and a 1953 Hungarian Csepel 125 plunger

Highfield
Epsom, Surrey
Second Gear User
Club Member
October 17, 2021 - 6:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

After carrying out the initial assessment, I've started rebuilding the frame, swing arm, rear shocks and front forks.

The frame got a good wash down to get rid of the caked-on oil and grime. It looks straight and is in good condition. Then I cleaned the swing arm and rear shocks and then got them all bolted together. I found some of the nuts and bolts in the tin that came with the bike but I had to buy some too, like the swing arm bolts and grease nipples and top and bottom nuts and bolts for the rear shocks. With it all bolted together I checked the swing arm pivot and there was no sideways movement so I'm leaving it as is.

The picture below is the frame, swing arm and rear shocks bolted together.

20211010_102553v2.jpg

The next job was the steering head and front forks. I cleaned the yokes first to get rid of all the old oil and grease and they are also in good condition. I needed a new top pinch bolt, a dust cover and ball bearings, however the cup and cones were in good condition too thumbs-up

The next picture is the yokes fitted onto the frame, as ever plenty of fresh grease on the bearings and it only took 2 goes to get it bolted up!!!

20211016_112457v2.jpg

Then came the front forks. I stripped them down, gave the parts a good clean and replaced the bushes and oil seals. The old bushes and seals looked ok but I thought better safe than sorry! The springs were in good condition and there were no splits in the fork gaiters so I've re-used them.

The next picture is the frame and forks all rebuilt.

20211016_130211v2.jpg

Onto the wheels next and I'll upload more pictures as the rebuild progresses.

Cheers

Greg

Ringting
Newport Pagnell
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 93
November 1, 2021 - 9:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looks like you're cracking on with that Greg. Good work.

Alan.

D1, D14/4, Guzzi LeMans, Guzzi V35, Triumph Trident 900, Maserati 160 t4. Mk1 Mini Traveller, Berkeley T60.

larryc
burnley lancashire
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 234
November 9, 2021 - 2:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looking good Greg, from a jumble of bits in your car, soon to be a working bike, very satisfying when you can see the progress made, in my opinion better than buying a working bike.

Larry

D1 plunger 2 x D3 plunger projects and a 1953 Hungarian Csepel 125 plunger

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3559
November 9, 2021 - 3:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You'll certainly know your bike inside and out by the time it's finished. Just have a good read through the B175 timing recommendations when you get to that and you should be well sorted. tip-my-hat

Highfield
Epsom, Surrey
Second Gear User
Club Member
November 14, 2021 - 2:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the responses to my B175 rebuild posts.

I thought I'd be a bit further on with my build by now, at least have a rolling chassis, however, a couple of suppliers are being a bit slow with their deliveries. The parts in question, (a chain and sprocket set, a set of brake shoes and rear wheel nuts), were ordered 2 weeks ago. I was told they would be posted this week but nothing has arrived to date. It's a bit frustrating as they are not difficult parts to get generally and the web sites didn't say 'out of stock' otherwise I would have looked elsewhere.

Anyway, rant over! Both wheels were stripped as the tyres were cracked and I also needed to get the hubs skimmed as they were scored and pitted. I found a great little general engineering workshop near where I live who managed to skim the hubs with them still in the wheels as per the picture below.

20211105_142234-v1.jpg

I had enough old and new parts to build the front wheel. I bought a new tyre, replaced the wheels bearings and had to buy new brake shoes, brake cam, dust cover, brake cable connector arm and a few nuts and bolts. The axle and brake plate looked in good condition and have been re-used. Here's a couple of pictures of the rebuilt front wheel.

20211114_123247-v2.jpg

20211114_123312-v2-1.jpg

I'll get the rear wheel built as and when the parts arrive, hopefully sometime this week, so I can rebuild the rear wheel next weekend.

Greg

Highfield
Epsom, Surrey
Second Gear User
Club Member
November 14, 2021 - 2:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

As I couldn't get on with building the rear wheel due to non-delivery of parts, (see my previous post from earlier today), I decided to work on the centre stand. The nuts and bolts are in good condition so I'll be able to reuse them. There was however, a lot of wear on the feet as per the pictures below:

20211114_104756-v2.jpg20211114_104832-v2.jpg

To be honest I don't have a very good welding machine, a cheap stick welder, but probably just good enough for this job so I gave it a go. I managed to get a few weld runs along the feet to build up the steel and then ground the welds back to tidy them up with the following results.

20211114_115140-v2.jpg20211114_115155-v2.jpg

Not perfect but hopefully good for a few more years.

A quick lick of paint and there you go!

20211114_122151-v2.jpg

There was no wear on the area where the centre stand stops against the frame so I didn't have to do any welding on that part of the stand.

Greg

BantamBaz
Reading Berkshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 166
November 17, 2021 - 8:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looking good.

I'd be a bit wary of having the drums skimmed too much. They will be a very different radius to the shoes & unless you have thicker linings you'll probably get excess lever travel.

Spent ages once trying to sort excess pedal travel on a Land Rover only to find the owner had had the drums skimmed.

Standard drums sorted the problem.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online:
14 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3559

Cornish Rooster: 2917

Blue Heeler: 2434

bart: 2433