A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
D14 tidy up
Rich_T
Dumfries & Galloway
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 53
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
January 13, 2019 - 10:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, it's not really a restoration, more a tidy up, so feel free to delete if necessary. 

I picked up this D14 in December as I'd been fancying one for a while and the way prices are going if I didn't get one now then I never would. I specifically wanted a D14 for the bigger engine and 4 spd box and it had to be a supreme rather than a sport as I prefer the look of the painted mudguards. 

So anyway, this is when we picked it up, almost complete, matching numbers and both a current v5 and the original green card logbook. 

DSC_0126-1024x576-1.JPGDSC_0128-1024x576.JPG

The front mudguard came with it as did a freshly covered seat. It hadnt run for years and the guy I got it from hadnt really done anything to it while he owned it.

Plans are to give it a coat of paint, either get the frame powder coated of just paint it black, rebuild the engine and transmission as it's bound to have shot seals amongst other things and convert it to 12v negative earth with electronic ignition .

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Rich_T
Dumfries & Galloway
Forum User
Club Member
January 13, 2019 - 10:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

As this isnt my only ongoing project there isn't any rush to get it done, so the plan is to do the bodywork alongside other stuff, ie when theres primer in the gun for something else then thats when the Bantam gets some. 

Luckily the tin work was in reasonable shape and only rquired remedial work.

Anything which would fit in my blast cabinet was cleaned to bare metal

Before

DSC_0141-600x1067.JPG

After

DSC_0151-1280x720-1024x576.JPG

If it wouldnt fit in the cabinet then it was cleaned back to bare metal and any surface rust treated with phosphoric acid

DSC_0154-1-1280x720-1024x576.JPG

Im currently on with the bodywork on an old merc sprinter which we'll be fitting out as a camper, so with some epoxy in the gun the prepared panels got a coat inside and out.

DSC_0152-1280x720-1024x576.JPGDSC_0159-1024x576.JPG

The epoxy I use is designed for boats, so should offer more than enough protection to something like a Bantam .

cocorico
Central France
Forum Posts: 2624
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 14, 2019 - 8:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Don't worry about the section - you're exactly right. 'Restorations' is taken to cover a very broad range, from Oily Rag to Concours.

You look to have a good base, there. Don't assume that the seals are shot, many a bike has run without a hitch with old seals. Have a look at the engine fastenings, if they are in good condition the engine may never have been opened up, so may only need a change of oil in the gearbox, new plug, clean points and some fresh fuel and battery to go.

Rich_T
Dumfries & Galloway
Forum User
Club Member
January 14, 2019 - 6:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I did consider leaving the engine alone but there is a slight oil leak from somewhere and I just cant seem to not take stuff apart. 

It is a decent base, it's just a shame one of the previous owners sanded and primed the mudguards and side covers .had they been in the same condition as the tank I'd have just left it original .

Rich_T
Dumfries & Galloway
Forum User
Club Member
January 14, 2019 - 7:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well this arrived today, the RAL colour was a pretty good match for the white on the tank. Now I just need to get some high build primer on the panels...

DSC_0145-1024x576.JPG

Rich_T
Dumfries & Galloway
Forum User
Club Member
January 16, 2019 - 7:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Had a busy couple of evenings, epoxy flatted bback, then some high build

DSC_0160-1024x576.JPG

Then some more flatting and a couple of coats of white

DSC_0163-1024x576.JPG

Then some black

DSC_0165-1024x576.JPG

The tank can wait as it needs a good internal clean and Ive yet to decide the best way forward with the outside .should hopefully get the blue and the laquer on tonight

stubaker58
Sunny Felixstowe
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 291
January 16, 2019 - 10:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That’s looking very nice.

D7/14 hybrid (4 speed with D7 crank etc.) on the road, D10 Bushman awaiting rebuilding.

SpacedMarine
Up north
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 260
January 17, 2019 - 9:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That's some progress.I wish my "recommission" had been so quick.Been over 6 months now and the engine is out again.I have been riding it in between but mine was a "get it running and riding" then do the cosmetic stuff as it had a repaint 20 years ago and it still looks ok.

Yours is certainly going to look better than new with all that clear coat.Be very interesting to see how it turns out.

Are you going to pinstripe it and get the correct transfers etc?If so .Should look fantastic.All the best.

James.👍🏼

What's 7/16 in mm again?

Rich_T
Dumfries & Galloway
Forum User
Club Member
January 17, 2019 - 5:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the positive comments, Spacedmarine, your build thread has been quite inspirational if I'm honest. 

I thought I'd do the paintwork first, partly because theyre the first things that get taken off and also because having shiny bits ready to go makes me more motivated to do the rest.

I've got the piled arms transfer for the rear light bracket but cant decide whether to get the ones for the side panels. 

Im goung for pinstripes on the mudguards and tank, not so keen when theyre on the side panels. 

I painted everything white for the pinstriping, all I did was lay a 3mm fineline tape over the white, painted the blue, peeled the tape and then clearcoated everything. I should really have bought some black lining tape but decided to use the buff one I had, my eyes being what they are meant I got the line a bit wavy (keeps it authentic looking through lol)

Rich_T
Dumfries & Galloway
Forum User
Club Member
January 17, 2019 - 5:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, got the blue on last night, initially I wasn't that keen but its grown on me when I just looked at it

DSC_0169-1024x576.JPGDSC_0168-1024x576.JPG

swalsh58
St. Mary's Bay, Kent
Club Dating Officer
Committee
Forum Posts: 1001
January 17, 2019 - 6:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

looking great!

Current bikes......1958 D5, a 77 Suzuki GT250 and a 77 Honda CB125S. I have a 74 Kawasaki KH400 and a B175 waiting for restoration. A 1980 Honda CB400N waiting for MOT.  Everyday ride is a 2011 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster. 

SpacedMarine
Up north
Forum User
Site Member
January 17, 2019 - 6:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ah!I wondered why you'd painted it white 1st makes sense now 👍🏼.

Can't wait to see it clear coated.

What's 7/16 in mm again?

Rich_T
Dumfries & Galloway
Forum User
Club Member
January 20, 2019 - 11:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Those pics are of it clear coated, the numberplate thing will get another couple of coats once the piled arms decal has been fitted. 

During this week I've had the tank soaking in various acids, along with a few sessions in the oven to dry it out, so can now concentrate on getting that painted too. Pre painting and while it was free from fuel I also took the oportunity to drill and tap the fuel tap hole to 1/4 bsp.

Hopefully I'll have the tank etch primed an high build primed today, then should get the top coats on during the evenings this coming week.

Rich_T
Dumfries & Galloway
Forum User
Club Member
January 29, 2019 - 6:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

As badges seem to be out of stock I thought I'd have a go at making some.

Progress so far, araldite a pen top and cut down cotton bud to my good badge, these will act as a pouring spout and breather for the resin

DSC_0172-1024x576.JPG

Then covered it in silicone and ended up with this

DSC_0173-1024x576.JPG

I held off ordering the resin and paint until I saw how the mold came out, so far I'm fairly happy, so just waiting on some clear resin for the next bit. 

Blue Heeler
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2094
January 29, 2019 - 8:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Top work, very clear definition. Look forward to seeing the next step.

Rich_T
Dumfries & Galloway
Forum User
Club Member
January 29, 2019 - 8:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Blue Heeler said
Top work, very clear definition. Look forward to seeing the next step.  

Thanks, splitting the mold (or is it mould) was one of those will it or wont it moments,  fortunately it was a 'will it'. The resin should be here by the end of the week. 

Rich_T
Dumfries & Galloway
Forum User
Club Member
February 3, 2019 - 2:02 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So the resin arrived and I poured the first cast last night, it needs to be left in the mold for 24hrs, so freshly opened this is what came out. Much better than I expected,  no voids or air bubbles and the detail is spot on. Just need to wait 7 days for it to fully cure before it can be painted. 

DSC_0176-1024x576.JPG

SpacedMarine
Up north
Forum User
Site Member
February 3, 2019 - 8:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Think you're on to a  winner there.What resin is it?just plain epoxy?

What's 7/16 in mm again?

Rich_T
Dumfries & Galloway
Forum User
Club Member
February 3, 2019 - 8:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's this stuff ** Please log in to view ** straightforward enough to mix and seems really durable,  I've popped out the unused bit from the mixing cup and have been generally abusing it to see if it will chip or crack .

The paint is my next dilema, humbrol type paints will work but I'm struggling to find a gold chrome effect for the star, I ve even done a test with gold chrome nail varnish but it just doesn't look right. Im going to have a trip down to hobbycraft and see what they have, at the worst case I'll just use a metallic 

SpacedMarine
Up north
Forum User
Site Member
February 3, 2019 - 1:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

What about some gold leaf type stuff and foil for the silver bits?I'm sure if you epoxied the back it wouldn't go anywhere? Might be a bit fiddly like but you've gone this far? Thinkin out loud again 😁

What's 7/16 in mm again?

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 98

Currently Online: swalsh58, Rich_T, bantammad
18 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3303

Anderzander: 3208

bart: 3128

Sprung Chicken: 2650