A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Ranald's D14
Nick_S
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 37
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 31, 2021 - 11:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ranald said
Sounds like a good idea I have no idea how to move it, I’m still fumbling my way around the Forum!  

You don’t have to worry about that, Stoo63 will sort it...

Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
Forum Posts: 1239
April 1, 2021 - 12:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Consider it done 🙂

'55 D3 Battery; '58 Square Four (project); '59 D1 direct lighting plunger; '59 Tiger Cub; '60 5TA;  '76 FS1-E; '91 GTR 1000;  '97 Honda Sky SGX50.

Ranald
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 18
April 1, 2021 - 12:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for sorting that out Stewart.  I’m feeling a bit silly now for asking the above questions, as I have found the information I needed superbly presented in the General Technical section of the members area.  I think my enthusiasm and impatience got the better of me!  I will spend longer reading next time before posting.  I will try and update this post with my progress as I go 😀

Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
Forum Posts: 1239
April 1, 2021 - 12:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not a problem , at all, Ranald. Please don't feel you have to excuse your enthusiasm. It'll stand you in good stead when those litle irksome problems seem insurmountable. The FAQs and Archives are brimming with great info. Learning to find it is the trick. Keep using " my query bantam forum" in Google and you'll get all the results you could ask  for 🙂

'55 D3 Battery; '58 Square Four (project); '59 D1 direct lighting plunger; '59 Tiger Cub; '60 5TA;  '76 FS1-E; '91 GTR 1000;  '97 Honda Sky SGX50.

Ranald
Second Gear User
Club Member
April 7, 2021 - 7:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve just stripped down my carb, the slide I believe is excessively worn.  I have put a short video on you tube to demonstrate  

I will update again when I have resolved this probably with a replacement as I’m not sure the 626 R64 was fitted to a D14.

Ranald
Second Gear User
Club Member
April 9, 2021 - 7:18 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Received a new carburettor from Burlens.  Very quick delivery, I’ve fitted it and the engine now revs and ticks over nicely.  Starting from warm is still difficult so I am going to sort out the points, coil, condenser and timing next as I think I have a very weak spark.  The only thing that surprised me about the new carb is the size of the tickler... it’s massive!  I’ve uploaded an unboxing video, the fuel pipe was an extra I ordered it doesn’t come with the carb.

** Please log in to view **

BantamBaz
Reading Berkshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 137
April 9, 2021 - 8:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Very smart shed you have Ranald !

Ranald
Second Gear User
Club Member
April 12, 2021 - 9:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Carb changed, points cleaned and gapped.  Spark plug and condenser replaced.  Bike idles now and starts first kick from warm.  Timing to be checked next and a little more fettling and I will be happy with the fuelling and ignition.  Many more bits to investigated, everything that shines is not necessary gold 🤣🤣 I have attached a short video of it running, any comments about the kick start welcomed.  It is a folding type but when put in the starting position it goes past the horizontal and makes it easy for your foot to slip off.  I can not see any obvious wear on it???

GlenAnderson
Dover
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 411
April 12, 2021 - 9:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Undo the pivot bolt on the kickstart, take out the folding bit, flip it over 180° and put it back together. 

Ranald
Second Gear User
Club Member
April 12, 2021 - 9:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That’s what I thought, tried it but definitely not the answer, still did not sit right!

Sponge
Lancashire (A chip shop somewhere near Preston)
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 526
April 12, 2021 - 11:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ranald said
Received a new carburettor from Burlens.  Very quick delivery, I’ve fitted it and the engine now revs and ticks over nicely.  Starting from warm is still difficult so I am going to sort out the points, coil, condenser and timing next as I think I have a very weak spark.  The only thing that surprised me about the new carb is the size of the tickler... it’s massive!  I’ve uploaded an unboxing video, the fuel pipe was an extra I ordered it doesn’t come with the carb.

Yes Amal started fitting longer ticklers about 20 years ago. They are fine and easier to use with gloves on. You can, however, retro-fit the old tickler from the original carb if you want that original look. 

GlenAnderson
Dover
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 13, 2021 - 3:48 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ranald said
That’s what I thought, tried it but definitely not the answer, still did not sit right!  

Maybe they’re bits from two different broken ones? That could explain why they don’t appear worn individually, but don’t sit together properly. 

Ranald
Second Gear User
Club Member
April 13, 2021 - 7:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Glen I think you are probably right, It is useable but I will keep my eye out for a replacement.

GlenAnderson
Dover
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 13, 2021 - 7:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Is there any scope to build the swivelling part up with weld? 

Ranald
Second Gear User
Club Member
April 14, 2021 - 2:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That is probably the best way forward, or I could drill and tap it for a small bolt.  I think it would work but would look a little untidy so maybe a weld would be best.  I’ll think about it for a while 😀

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: derek50
16 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3465

Cornish Rooster: 3109

bart: 2691

Blue Heeler: 2540

David Dale: 2346