A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Wheel Bearings
bantam 1050
Second Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 5
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 4, 2011 - 11:20 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

B175 wheel bearings
Hi, just wondering should i fit normal 6202 / 6203 or C3 bearings.
On stripping the old front hub the fitted bearings were marked with a C3.
Any ideas.
Thank you.
Ross

mikef
Chatham Kent
Club Technical Advisor
Committee
Forum Posts: 794
November 4, 2011 - 9:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi.
I have to admit to not knowing much about bearing data. Doing a little research have found that C3 refers to the clearance, allowing for heat expansion.
Bearings that operate in hot conditions will require a higher C number. Bantam wheel bearings will not get very hot I think. The other numbers seem to refer to bearing size.
I have no idea what the standard bearings would have been, hopefully someone else will know.
All the best.
Mike.

Keith
Guests
November 5, 2011 - 3:07 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The following paragraph regards C3 bearings, comes from a very respected and knowledgable.member over on the BSA M20 forum. This was in response to a question regarding the drive side bearings on the BSA M20 500cc engines.
Thanks Keith

----------------------------------------------------------------
The C3 fit indicates a (very slightly) larger internal clearance. This was to make allowance for the pressure applied to the outer bearing by the crankcase. C3 fit bearings are harder to find and considerably more expensive. I believe the majority of crankcases have now lost some 'fit' from the main bearing housings as a consequence of bearing replacement over the years (particularly if they have not been heated prior to bearing removal and replacement). The internal bearing clearance differs by only a few microns and I have found that standard fit bearings run without any perceptible problems, and it is even more difficult to get the Imperial bearings in a C3 fit. ----------------------------------------------------------------

Cornish Rooster
Area Rep
Club Member
Forum Posts: 3314
November 5, 2011 - 7:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bearings are something that I deal with quite a bit in my job and we usually fit C3 type bearings for more heavy service applications where there is more vibration for example, they do have some more internal clearance as I understand it. For a duty such as wheel bearings where actually there is a reasonably light loading for the size of the bearing a "standard" type should be fine. More importantly as I see it is to fit shielded bearings (sealed), either metal or rubber, for example 2RS means sealed both sides with rubber type seal, I have been using sealed bearings for wheel bearings for years and they last a lot longer, one of the reasons wheel bearings fail is dirt in the races, with a sealed bearing that problem is eliminated and you don't have the routine greasing to do either.

Phil

BSA Bantam D1 "150" in use regularly often as general purpose transport, quite a few other bikes as well. Cornwall Area Rep. 

Cornish Rooster
Area Rep
Club Member
Forum Posts: 3314
November 5, 2011 - 7:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

One, more thing 6203 and 6202 etc are actually metric sized bearings, strange as it seems often even old Brit stuff has metric sized bearings, I find the cheapest place to get bearings ( and quicker) is to use one of my local bearing suppliers, they have just about everything on the shelf, same applies to seals etc. There is sure to be a place near you no matter where you live, check the Yellow Pages or on-line.

Phil

BSA Bantam D1 "150" in use regularly often as general purpose transport, quite a few other bikes as well. Cornwall Area Rep. 

Doug Brown
Wiltshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 980
November 5, 2011 - 12:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just take your old bearings along to your nearest Eriks.They deal with the trade and have all the cross referencing charts.I think the originals were made by Hoffman.All you need is the outer ring of the bearing with the number on.Do NOT use chinese they are a waste of money!Most bantams have three of one type and one of another. ** Please log in to view **

Triumph Thunderbird 900 Yamaha rxs 100 and too many bantams !

bantam 1050
Second Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 5
November 5, 2011 - 7:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Cheers guys for the info.
Ross

DoubleDiamond
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 127
November 6, 2011 - 5:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My B175 parts book does not list the bearings as C3 clearance. I suspect that for this particular application it makes very little difference if any. I'm sure that for normal use either standard or C3 will be just fine.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: kiwi bantam, chickensoup, Bee175, Mick W, toppo46, carpetralph
13 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

Anderzander: 3208

bart: 3139

cocorico: 2921

Sprung Chicken: 2650

Mags 1: 2613

David Dale: 2490

Munchkin: 2227