A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Tight D14 engine
3shedman
Ashford Kent
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 38
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 23, 2021 - 1:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have rebuilt a D14 engine but turning it over by hand it is smooth until it reaches the bottom of the stroke, when it becomes hard to turn it. On the up stroke it be comes free again. The stiffness is so bad it is difficult to use the kick start when the stroke is at the bottom. Have I overtightened the crankcase or something else ? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponge
Lancashire (A chip shop somewhere near Preston)
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 733
June 23, 2021 - 4:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had a similar problem with a freshly rebuilt D7 engine many years ago. The vendor said it was a 'professional' rebuild...it certainly looked shiney on the outside but the crank was binding at the bottom of the stroke. I stripped it down and was shoked to find that the crankshaft was so far out of true that you could see the crankcase halves moving in and out like bellows as the crank turned. I was surprised that it had not cracked the cases !! Shame on whoever built that engine for claiming it was properly done. It is clear thay my idea of professional and other peoples views are at variance. 

The solution was to get the crank re-alligned and trued up. After that it all went back together properly and having checked and re-assembled it myself it ran very well.  Happy days. 

derek50
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 36
June 23, 2021 - 5:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

i've done plenty of other engine builds but never a bantam,as i've only just got into them, so it might be of help or not so here goes, how extensive was the rebuild? did it go together again ok or was there any point that it didn't, ie something seemed too tight or not quite right?, if so that's where to look  it could even be the top end ie piston, rod or cylinder. sorry if it all seems a bit vague but i think anyone would agree that without a hands on look it's only guess work i'm afraid. But i would say DON'T try running it until it's sorted.  

BASIL
Hamstreet,Ashford.
Area Rep
Club Member
Forum Posts: 908
June 23, 2021 - 7:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Paul, it might be the crank not quite true, maybe Mike Foster would look at it for you he did my B175 and got the crank true to within 1 thou. Regards Basil.

mikef
Chatham Kent
Club Technical Advisor
Committee
Forum Posts: 1000
June 23, 2021 - 7:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Paul.
         Yes, I would have a look at it if you like. Just send me a PM, e-mail to the technical officer, or give me a ring.
Mike.

3shedman
Ashford Kent
Second Gear User
Club Member
June 23, 2021 - 9:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

BASIL said
Hi Paul, it might be the crank not quite true, maybe Mike Foster would look at it for you he did my B175 and got the crank true to within 1 thou. Regards Basil.  

Thanks Basil , I’ll do that .

kind regards

3shedman
Ashford Kent
Second Gear User
Club Member
June 23, 2021 - 9:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

mikef said
Hi Paul.
         Yes, I would have a look at it if you like. Just send me a PM, e-mail to the technical officer, or give me a ring.
Mike.  

Thanks Mike, I’ll PM you.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: lbayorkie
15 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3502

Cornish Rooster: 2917

Blue Heeler: 2434