A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
speedo dvive
derek50
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 36
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 30, 2021 - 7:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The speedo drive on my D14/4 recently packed up (my fault as i didn't check it  when i had the chance) anyway, i couldn't get a bantam one so I ordered one of those cheapies from ebay, 20 - 10 instead of the proper 19 - 10 i know, but what the hek i can always adjust the face plate if it's that far out.

My Question is the one that i ordered shows the cable connected on the top as apposed to on the bottom as per original which seems to me will drive the speedo backwards if that makes sense, is this going to work?  Any thoughts?

mikef
Chatham Kent
Club Technical Advisor
Committee
Forum Posts: 999
June 30, 2021 - 9:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Derek.
          My D14 had a 20:10 speedo drive on it when I bought it and the speedo cable connected at the top. It worked OK but read too fast.
A 20:10 speedo drive was used on earlier Bantams with 19" wheels and I think that there is a good chance that the drive that you have will work but the readings on the speedo will be unacceptably too fast. I have seen on e-bay speedo drives that are correct for a D!4, so probably best to keep a look out.
Mike.

derek50
Second Gear User
Club Member
July 1, 2021 - 5:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for reply Mike,  speed reading is no problem, I can sort that out with camera & photoshop & print another face. It was just if it was going to work, but going by what you're saying it should be a goer.   

derek50
Second Gear User
Club Member
July 4, 2021 - 10:07 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

When the drive packed up it also damaged the clock & cable (smashed the needle) & tore the end off the cable, how? i haven't the faintest, anyway I ordered a new speedo (made in India) which arrived a week later, BUT neither a new cable or old one will go into the clock! as the hole is too small!

mikef
Chatham Kent
Club Technical Advisor
Committee
Forum Posts: 999
July 4, 2021 - 1:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Derek.
        I think the original problem was the speedo head. The mechanism inside is damaged by moisture ingress. The mechanism seizes and the needle is driven past the end stop. The needle immediately snaps off. When this happened to me, it also damaged the speedo drive. In your case it has also damaged the cable.
I have heard that the Indian made speedos have an incorrect cable fitting, someone suggested that a Royal Enfield cable will fit. I have no experience of this but hopefully someone else will be able to say for sure.
Good luck.
               Mike.

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3448
July 4, 2021 - 1:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Have a look through this lot. ** Please log in to view **

mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1672
July 4, 2021 - 4:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

you can get the correct cable from India I bought both the speedo and cable from the same seller, but they tend to measure them by the inner cable length you need 57inch minimum outer so be careful what you buy
hitchcocksmotorcycles also sell the Enfield cables but im not 100% sure they are the correct speedo end size
or you could get one made at speedycables. But you would have to send them your speedo as a pattern for the speedo end.

D? - D10- D14 Bantams 350 AJS -500 Triumph http://bsanotru.....lfire.com/

derek50
Second Gear User
Club Member
July 4, 2021 - 4:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

cocorico said
Have a look through this lot. ** Please log in to view **

thanks for that cocorico, very interesting reading.

Thanks guys, I wish i'd seen the thread by mags 1 first on stripping the drive instead of doing it the hard way, it would have been a lot easier if i'd          known how the thing was put together, but it was a case of have a go or drop it in the bin, the large gear is completely knackered, almost flat in places   but i've found one on ebay that i might be able to use to make a decent one from the two & it's a 19-10 one!

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3448
July 4, 2021 - 5:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

As you get further into Bantam ownership (and problems), you will find most questions have already been asked and answered. If you can use the search formula supplied by Stoo on your introductory post, you will find all sorts of interesting answers.

derek50
Second Gear User
Club Member
July 10, 2021 - 8:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

UPDATE

The s/h drive from ebay had the same worn gear as mine, so on to plan "B"

My new cheap (£11.62 with postage) drive arrived & although the outlet is on the top it does drive the correct way, so after taking the cable clock end to the bench grinder to fit the clock it fits!, so a new clock, cable & drive all for under forty quid. I tried it up the road & it didn't seem that far out considering it's a 2 to 1 ratio, but as it was peeing with rain i stuck it back in the garage, what i plan to do is follow someone along the duel carriageway at a set speed say 50mph ( pre arranged of course) see what mine reads & alter the face if it's that far out, & yes i know 50mph is optimistic but it goes down hill one way!  

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: campervan
15 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3448

Cornish Rooster: 2917

Blue Heeler: 2434

bart: 2430

David Dale: 2144