A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Slipping kickstart
robinhayes25
First Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 13, 2021 - 6:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

About every 4th or 5th  attempt to start my D14 the kickstart slips to the bottom of its travel and does not engage.

I have had the clutch basket off several  times.

I have replaced the shim and spring on the back of the basket and changed the kickstart quadrant.

But it still does it. Any ideas anyone.

Regards. Robin

sunny
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1911
September 13, 2021 - 7:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

problams   seem  to  be  circlip  p/no   90/ 24   ,  dowels    p/ no  90/ 110  and  p/no  90 /108     . wind  up  the  spring  as  far  as  it will  go and  dont  forget  the  spring  plate  p/no    90/90

Ringting
Newport Pagnell
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 83
September 14, 2021 - 11:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Robin. When you say you've replaced the shim and spring behind the basket it makes me wonder if there is a wire circlip missing. The shim as you call it is a cup washer and should be secured onto the back of the clutch basket with a thin wire circlip. Without that the compression of the spring may not be enough to keep the ratchet teeth engaged. Other than that I think I did read on here somewhere that someone had a problem with the quadrant slipping behind the gear so it's worth doing a search on that. Good luck and get back to us if you need more help.

Alan.

D1, D14/4, Guzzi LeMans, Guzzi V35, Triumph Trident 900, Maserati 160 t4. Mk1 Mini Traveller, Berkeley T60.

Sams Dad
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 15
September 19, 2021 - 1:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ringting said
Hi Robin. When you say you've replaced the shim and spring behind the basket it makes me wonder if there is a wire circlip missing. The shim as you call it is a cup washer and should be secured onto the back of the clutch basket with a thin wire circlip. Without that the compression of the spring may not be enough to keep the ratchet teeth engaged. Other than that I think I did read on here somewhere that someone had a problem with the quadrant slipping behind the gear so it's worth doing a search on that. Good luck and get back to us if you need more help.

Alan.  

I had this issue a while ago.  Mine was a with pinion gear at the back of the clutch basket. It's a D14 Sports so sane as other D14s I believe.  It made all the difference. No slipping now,   but I changed the shaft and quadrant first. The quadrant needs to line up too,  but that was not my problem. The cup washer on mine and spring were fine.  I hope this helps.  

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: stubaker58, BantamBaz
18 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3450

Cornish Rooster: 2917

Blue Heeler: 2434

bart: 2430

David Dale: 2144