A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Rear chain and sprockets
Ringting
Newport Pagnell
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 16
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 18, 2019 - 10:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi folks. I've been checking out other bits now I've got my D14 in bits. I noticed that the gearbox sprocket had the teeth ground thinner when I dismantled it. Looking at the chain it's stamped 415. Looked at the rear sprocket and that's been narrowed too, and not very well. So I need a chain and both sprockets.

I've looked on here and it seems that bantams need a Reynolds 110044 chain which is an odd size to which there is no metric equivalent. These chains are scarce and expensive. 

An alternative is to fit a 420 chain with new sprockets specially made for the 420 chain. In other words a "Conversion Kit". These were available from T & G motorcycles but they seem to have disappeared of the scene.

Question is, Where can I buy said conversion kit. There are some listed on ebay (   ** Please log in to view **) the write up says its 3/16 wide which makes it a 415, which I guess will be fine as long as the sprockets are machined to match.  Does anyone have recent experience of this?

I found this trawling the net. Looks good info to me and certainly shows you shouldn't mix things up.

D1, D14/4, Guzzi LeMans, Triumph Trident 900, Maserati 160 t4. Mk1 Mini Traveller, Berkeley T60.

Ringting
Newport Pagnell
Forum User
Site Member
May 18, 2019 - 10:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Chainrear2.jpg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

D1, D14/4, Guzzi LeMans, Triumph Trident 900, Maserati 160 t4. Mk1 Mini Traveller, Berkeley T60.

mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1523
May 19, 2019 - 12:15 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

you can get 420 front sprocket from trialsbits
and a rear 420 Dural sprocket made from sprocketsunlimited
dont know anyone that does a 415 front sprocket

villiers services and the chainman can both supply the correct original size chain, which I agree is expensive but not scarce

The Ebay link I willing to bet that is 415 chain but NOT 415 sprockets
have another look at the diagram above its the chain roller size that is the real problem

D? - D10- D14 Bantams 350 AJS -500 Triumph http://bsanotru.....lfire.com/

cocorico
Central France
Forum Posts: 2846
May 19, 2019 - 7:46 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's all in FAQs. just look in Piquets Index. Mostly from Mike, too.

The Bantam Club Forum - all the answers are in there. If not, Google may.

Ringting
Newport Pagnell
Forum User
Site Member
May 19, 2019 - 10:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I admit I didn't look in FAQ's but all my searches on here just turned up old out of date stuff.

I've messaged one of the ebay suppliers to see if they make a coherent reply. I'm hoping that if they've had sprockets made then they will suit the chain. It must be just as easy to make the right thing as it is to make it wrong! But what do I know?! Or I suppose more to the point, What do they know? 

cocorico
Central France
May 20, 2019 - 7:36 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ringting said
... all my searches on here just turned up old out of date stuff...

I'm not sure what that means - everything on the forum is way more modern than the bikes referred to. dunno

Ringting
Newport Pagnell
Forum User
Site Member
May 20, 2019 - 9:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dated 2012 and T&G Motorcycles that don't seem to exist any more is what I mean. 

Anyway, I got a reply from ebayman. What do folks make of this?

This chain and sprocket kit is supplied with a ½ x ¼ chain roller size and will  fit  the sprockets supplied
However there is a nominal increase in the inside width of the roller when compared to OEM spec  chain +0.8MM   this will fit and work with no external side clearance issues and will clear chain guard and crank cases  and suitable for application , Bantams have limited power output and low chain sprocket wear rates if chain is kept lubricated and properly adjusted , this makes it a  more affordable solution as correct size chains are difficult to source and Expensive

Please bear in mind the original spec ½ x 3/16 chain is only available from Renold And Regina chains at a much higher cost  , we can also make kits
With 1/2x3/16 Regina  chain  but the  chain alone will cost  £40.00 – £45.00  plus sprockets most Bantam owners will baulk at £70 - £75.00 per kit and they will not sell.

He's got the "original spec 1/2 x 3/16 chain" wrong which is worrying but the rest seems okay. Tempting at  £48.00 with p&p.

cocorico
Central France
May 21, 2019 - 8:05 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

All your searches lead to "Dated 2012 and T&G Motorcycles"? Wow! winkstick-pokerofl

Ringting
Newport Pagnell
Forum User
Site Member
May 29, 2019 - 11:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi all, well I finally got a proper reply from the ebay bloke and sure enough he's selling original pattern sprockets with 420 chain so that's that. What I can't understand is, these people must be making the sprockets now so why don't they make them to suit the bl**%y chain they supply! His reply below.

We are using  the OEM spec sprockets  which are manufactured for 8.5mm chain  rollers  30 thousands of an inch  larger than the chains supplied.

If you want a perfect fit chain then you will have to order Regina or  Renold chain at a considerably higher cost.

I've been ringing Talon for the last 3 days but just get an answer phone. No reply to my left messages. I've now messaged them from their web site re a 420 conversion. 

It seems that everyone describes the original chain as 3/16 wide (see link below)  but that is clearly too narrow for a Bantam sprocket. 3/16" is about 4.75 mm and my sprockets, from memory are about 5 mm thick (where they haven't been ground down). The inside width of 5.2 mm is very close to 13/64". It doesn't instil me with confidence when a vendor miss describes an item. Watch this space!

** Please log in to view **

mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1523
May 30, 2019 - 12:20 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

feked.com sell the Talon rear 420 sprocket for the Bantam
pt-number off-rsprk242/420
and trialsbits.co.uk sell the 420 front sprocket
pt-number TG482-420

and I dont think that Regina chain from classicbike (your link)
is the correct pt number for original sprockets, they also do 420 chain

D? - D10- D14 Bantams 350 AJS -500 Triumph http://bsanotru.....lfire.com/

richard hyatt
Shaftesbury, Dorset.
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 116
May 30, 2019 - 7:05 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi,

I have a very good rear sprocket if it helps you.

On holiday at moment if you need pictures

cocorico
Central France
May 30, 2019 - 7:42 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The chain was missing on my D3, the sprockets were suitable for cutting wood with so I went down the 420 chain route. I ordered a sprocket set from Talon, 420 for a Bantam D3, which arrived fairly quickly, but was a 420 front and a 420 rear - but skimmed on the outer diameter for a standard chain! doh

Several communications later (and not a little frustration) I finally got a matching pair in 420, at a not expensive price - you should be able to get the items from them. As it happens - I also have a 'modified' 420 rear sprocket available for anyone wanting it, postage only.

See ** Please log in to view **, post no 33, for the full story...

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: Mags 1, manic, Geoffrey25
33 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

Anderzander: 3209

bart: 3142

Sprung Chicken: 2650

Mags 1: 2584