A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Primary Drive re visited
AdrianS
Harlaston Staffs
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 138
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 26, 2020 - 4:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Doing a bit of work on my primary drive before the spring, as when I rebuilt the engine, I apparently didn't fit all the bits I should ! ( I fitted back the bits I took off not realising some bits were missing.

Bits missing were: washer that fits behind the clutch against the bearing, rubber O ring and retaining washer behind primary drive sprocket.

The clutch washer and O ring are not a problem but having difficulty in finding the O ring retaining washer behind the crank sprocket. Has anyone got one or knows what thickness it is? I assume the size is similar to the crank thrust washers but unsure of the thickness.

Was with Rex today and we had a chat about the O ring and washer behind the primary drive sprocket. He thought the reason it was fitted is possibly two fold. 1. To stop oil from seeping from under the sprocket through the woodruff key and entering the points housing and 2. To possibly adding a little preload to the crank.

If anyone can let me have the thickness of the washer I would be very grateful!

Cheers

Adrian

mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1697
February 26, 2020 - 5:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dragonfly have the, washer engine sprocket 90-1652
and the “O” ring is 0.625"x 0.103 (out of stock 90-1666)

D? - D10- D14 Bantams 350 AJS -500 Triumph http://bsanotru.....lfire.com/

wildun
Lincolnshire.
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 220
February 27, 2020 - 12:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

that washer that holds the rubber O ring in the primary sprocket really can't be described as a normal washer, it is just a pressed "tin" ring that you push into the sprocket after the rubber ring rather than just place on the shaft. If Draganfly do stock the washer then I suggest you get one and fit it while your engine is in pieces. Of the three D14/B175 engines I have, only one has this washer fitted, no real problem to run without it.

The washer behind the clutch basket, between it and the bearing I would describe as a spacer. It is 2mm thick (sorry) and will throw the primary chain that amount out of alignment if it is missing, causing more rapid chain wear.

1951 Bantam D1 125, 1954 Bantam Enduro 125, 1970 Bantam B175, all Bantams on the road and ridden regularly, 1995 Yamaha Diversion 900 and 2016 Honda Integra 750 scooter. Horses for courses, all very different to each other, but a bike for every occasion.

AdrianS
Harlaston Staffs
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 138
February 27, 2020 - 9:20 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It was because the primary chain was not well aligned that I stripped the primary drive down.

The points housing always had a trace of oil in it - I thought it was a leaky seal but now think it was the lack of the rubber O ring.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: taplowman, Stoo63, Ringting, Kevin Garner
22 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3417

Cornish Rooster: 3314

bart: 3130

Sprung Chicken: 2659

David Dale: 2485