A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Paint Suitable For DIY Application D14 Blue
Robert Young
Nantwich Cheshire
New User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 9, 2019 - 8:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello Everyone,

I'm bringing my 1967 D14 back into life.

I've looked at various posts relating to paint/colour matches & have tried MG Trophy blue in "rattle cans".

It's fair to say this is difficult to apply on a DIY basis in your garage, as it's base & clear coat. I made a total mess!

To save me lot's of experimentation has anyone found a suitable rattle can paint for single coat application ?

I do realise I won't achieve the original candy/metalic finish, would just like a close match.

I have used aerosol engine enamel on the black components & achieved a really good finish.

I'm not after concourse, just want to get the old girl in a tidy condition & back on the road! 

Thanks Bob

swalsh58
St. Mary's Bay, Kent
Club Dating Officer
Committee
Forum Posts: 1166
May 9, 2019 - 9:14 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think a lot depends on your skills as well as the environment your working in. I have used Holts Duplicolour and Halfords own with some success, but I usually apply a lacquer over the top whatever I use. The lacquer also helps protect any decals you have applied.

Buy cheap Poundshop paint and practice, make sure you can get all the way round the item your painting - I always hang mine with wire from the car port roof so I can get all the way round, top bottom and sides

Current bikes......1958 D5, a 77 Suzuki GT250 and a 77 Honda CB125S. I have a 74 Kawasaki S3 400 and a B175 waiting for restoration. A 1980 Honda CB400N waiting for MOT.  Everyday ride is a 2011 Harley Davidson Sportster. 

not henpecked
Near J 11 of M42
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 241
May 9, 2019 - 12:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi

I agree with swalsh58. Before using more expensive paint of the nearest colour match you want; try  improving your spraying skills with some rattle cans from Poundland.

After some damage on a plastic exhaust cover, I filled the damaged indent with body filler, rubbed it down, and sprayed it with the nearest colour match silver paint which just happened to be from Poundland. The paint had to cover some original black plastic, original silver paint, and filler.

I sprayed it outside in warm sunshine giving it a couple of very quick flash coats allowing about 40 minutes between coats to dry. The thickness of the 2 coats did not give the full colour depth but was sufficient to inspect for any lifting of paint edges or slight imperfections which I rubbed down with 800 wet and dry. I then went on to spray several more flash coats to ensure colour depth coverage.

From what I have been told 1) Always allow plenty of time for the paint to dry before spraying again. This is particularly important since the paint in rattle cans tend to be more thinners than paint and can lift previous coats; 2) Make sure the items you are spraying and the can are in a warm dry atmosphere. As said, I spray outside when it's comfortable to walk round and not feel the cold and it's dry.

Almost all paints these days require a lacquer coat to give depth to the base paint colour. If my memory serves me well Poundland also sell spray wheel lacquer, so for your shiny surfaces this might be a cheap alternative to buying from Halfords.

B175, being updated & now much closer to completion. Honda XBR 500, and ....... Suzuki Burgman 200 scoot! Nicknamed "The hair dryer" - by me I hasted to add; & great storage under the seat when you get to your destination.

mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1523
May 9, 2019 - 5:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Robert Young said
& have tried MG Trophy blue in "rattle cans".
I have used aerosol engine enamel on the black components & achieved a really good finish.
Thanks Bob  

that really needs a silver base coat, its quite difficult to get a good even result with that and more so with rattle cans
try a solid blue colour instead
im not a fan of rattle cans anyway unless its for just one small part
you can buy 1 Litre of paint for £13
and a small compressor (also useful for blowing tyres up) + small spray gun for under £100
light blue paint from ebay 280428788778
** Please log in to view **

D? - D10- D14 Bantams 350 AJS -500 Triumph http://bsanotru.....lfire.com/

richard hyatt
Shaftesbury, Dorset.
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 116
May 13, 2019 - 7:19 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My local auto paint man , matched up my blue d14 1967 tank .

He matches and mixes auto paints ,we settled for a Peugeot citroen colour , but I'll need to check which one for you if you wish.

He then puts it in an aerosol can and It was simple to spray onto the bike

Robert Young
Nantwich Cheshire
New User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3
May 19, 2019 - 7:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks guys for your input and advice, really helpful.

I have been to a local paint supplier and obtained a match in cans with a "widget"

Which converts 2k paint to 1k , and obtained good results. 

My painting skills are improving (slowly) & I've done a few test pieces as suggested.

A litre of paint for £13 sounds good, perhaps I've been a little premature with the rattle cans!

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: Mags 1, Darrell, manic, Geoffrey25
34 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

Anderzander: 3209

bart: 3142

Sprung Chicken: 2650

Mags 1: 2584