A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Oil? seeping out of top of downpipe D14 - Good / Bad?
coxy46
Nottingham
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 12
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 3, 2019 - 6:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi,

After getting all the electrics done, just pottered up and down the road. Giving it a very short test run (5 minutes), to make sure everything works. Other than a slightly stiff gear change (not quite as smooth as my R1), it all seems fine except...

When I stopped I noticed splashes of oil on the bottom of the down pipe and where it stood on my drive. Closer inspection I can see drips of the black liquid forming on the exhaust pipe adapter nut where it fixes to the engine block.

Is this something I need to worry about, will a bigger run help this or is something leaking that shouldn't be?

IMG_20190903_174109467-1-Small.jpgIMG_20190903_174059290-Small.jpg

Regards

Greg

Coxy46 (Nottingham - England)

1968 Bantam D14/4

AdrianS
Harlaston Staffs
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 85
September 3, 2019 - 6:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mine does that too.

Check the gasket is good and tighten the exhaust nut again after a run. If it still weeps then either try to seal again or leave it and it should seal itself with carbon after a few miles!

Mick W
Chester/ North Wales Flintshire Border
Forum Posts: 843
September 3, 2019 - 6:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Once you get the bike good and warm on a run you will probably find that this will stop. 

Have a look ** Please log in to view **

Mick

Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
Forum Posts: 220
September 3, 2019 - 9:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Common enough problem, Greg. hopefully a longer run will expand it all to close up. And, whilst the gearchange on your R1 may be smoother, didn't the daft so-n-sos go and put it on the wrong bleedin' side !! confusedlaugh

Good luck,

Stewart

'52 D1 direct lighting plunger, '58 Square Four (project), '59 D1 direct lighting plunger,  '59 Tiger Cub, '60 5TA,  '76 FS1-E

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3046
September 4, 2019 - 8:02 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

coxy46 said
...Is this something I need to worry about, will a bigger run help this or is something leaking that shouldn't be?

Just make sure you're not wearing your best jeans and boots! As the joint between the exhaust pipe and cylinder is copper, it is a good idea to tighten it, then get the engine / pipe good and hot and tighten a bit more, then repeat until you get no more movement. It will also 'coke-up' given time.

Stoo63 said
... the gearchange on your R1 may be smoother, didn't the daft so-n-sos go and put it on the wrong bleedin' side !! confusedlaugh

No, BSA got it wrong when they made the Bantam by mirroring the blueprints of the DKW 'nicked' from Germany after the war. wink roflget-me-coat

1956 D3 running, lights to sort. 7 other bikes in the Barn, 6 runners (when I get time!) and a still in progress Morini 250

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1913
September 4, 2019 - 7:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

There are some badly fitting downpipes that don't fit square on the cylinder...you can fit 2 gaskets together or as my pal had done with his badly fitting pipe...cut it around most of its circumference...open or close the cut to get the alignment....mig weld the cut back up when happy.

My Bantam video              https://www.you.....jpOFmzRZRI

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 497
September 5, 2019 - 1:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mine did that just wipe it and give it a good ragging :-)As Coco says nip it up again and eventually itll "coke up" I was a bit annoyed with mine when it did it as I'd just polished the pipe but its fine now.

What's 7/16 in mm again?

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 497
September 5, 2019 - 1:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

nickjaxe said
There are some badly fitting downpipes that don't fit square on the cylinder...you can fit 2 gaskets together or as my pal had done with his badly fitting pipe...cut it around most of its circumference...open or close the cut to get the alignment....mig weld the cut back up when happy.  

I always thought welding chrome was a bit of a H&S no no because of the fumes?Could be wrong though!Then again i dare say breathing 2 stroke fumes isnt that healthy 🙂

What's 7/16 in mm again?

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1913
September 5, 2019 - 5:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

SpacedMarine said

nickjaxe said

I always thought welding chrome was a bit of a H&S no no because of the fumes?Could be wrong though!Then again i dare say breathing 2 stroke fumes isnt that healthy 🙂  

I should have added...grind back to the base metal to get a good weld...do the cut near the flange and the weld is hidden by the large securing ring.

Works a treat.

My Bantam video              https://www.you.....jpOFmzRZRI

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online:
13 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

Anderzander: 3208

bart: 3136