A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Oh dear my gearbox oil level has dropped.
BantamBaz
Reading Berkshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 107
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 21, 2020 - 10:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I thought that over the last 2 years my playing with my D14 had achieved a good everyday looking bike.

The starting hadn't been too good but with a bit of tinkering it was fairly good although a bit intermittent.

From the outset it had been smoky, I thought I'd been a bit heavy handed with the 2T oil so reduced the mix & even added a litre of neat fuel.

Still it smoked, anyway the other day I thought I'd check the gearbox oil, I had refilled it to the correct level after refitting the primary cover.

So, there it was , nothing coming from the level plug & needing quite a bit to top it up again.

Having been an ardent follower of the site & forum over the last couple of years my thoughts are that I have dodgy crank seals.

So now a further adventure starts ! I've ordered new seals from Rex. 

I spent my working life in the motor trade & have stripped & rebuilt countless 4 stroke engines but 2 strokes are another thing.

All good fun & a learning curve.

I'll look forward to using all the knowledge I've gleaned here & will hopefully end up with a lightly hazy good starting D14.

My thanks to all contributors on the Forum.

Barrie. 

IainR
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 10
October 22, 2020 - 12:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you have stripped and rebuilt 4 stroke engines, a Bantam engine will be a walk in the park (are we allowed to go for a walk in the park just now?)

Number6
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 392
October 22, 2020 - 6:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am curious that in the owner's instructon manual (D1/ D3) it says every 300 miles check oil level in gearbox and top up if necessary. I'd like to know did they think this is normal, and where did they think it goes?

Mike H --

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.

GlenAnderson
Dover
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 247
October 22, 2020 - 7:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Number6 said
I am curious that in the owner's instructon manual (D1/ D3) it says every 300 miles check oil level in gearbox and top up if necessary. I'd like to know did they think this is normal, and where did they think it goes?  

Most of it finds its way past the output seal, onto the chain, then all over the back end of the bike. 😃👍

Number6
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
October 22, 2020 - 8:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

http://livinginthepast-audioweb.co.uk/imagex/misc/biggrin.gif

Mike H --

Murphy's 4th law of motion states that any small object that is accidentally dropped will immediately hide itself under a larger object.

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 713
October 22, 2020 - 10:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I wondered why my chain always looked nice and oily not having oiled it since rebuilding it 🤣🤣🤣

GlenAnderson said

Most of it finds its way past the output seal, onto the chain, then all over the back end of the bike. 😃👍  

What's 7/16 in mm again?

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3292
October 23, 2020 - 7:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

...the rest possibly finds it's way down the gear shaft and waterproofs your right boot. whistle

Number6
Lincolnshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
October 23, 2020 - 2:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sometimes oil just weeps past seals. It's a fairly common problem with old Moto Guzzi's, re using synthetic oils. The usual advice is stick to mineral.

Mike H --

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online:
3 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3292

Cornish Rooster: 3109

bart: 2688

Blue Heeler: 2546

David Dale: 2349