A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
New owner B175 - A few questions.
Blue Heeler
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2698
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 10, 2020 - 11:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Anthiron said
@blue heeler - I did think you might have an Aussie connection with a handle like Blue Heeler. My old man grew up up there. Nice part of the world.

If I don’t have a win with the carb and manage to get it back together without busting gaskets I’ll go for a drive and find a new plug. Should be able to borrow the condenser from my little Chevy Luv Ute to rule that out. 

it really feels like fuel though. But hey I’ve been wrong before and I’m new to bantams.   

Loved the Atherton Tablelands but started out in Geraldton WA.

Got a sneaking feeling you could be right re fuel issue, a bit of crud lurking. I`ve managed to save the floatbowl gasket to see another day on my D14, light greasing before refitting, so it splits again ok. Good stock of gasket papers in case I get really stuck.

Anthiron
Sunshine Coast QLD Australia
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 51
May 11, 2020 - 12:28 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok, I may have found the issue.

My needle didn’t appear to be in the clip correctly and was moving around a bit.

how the hell to I get the retainer clip that holds the spring in the slide out? 

looks like the cable end needs to go up the slide hole to release the cable but the clip for the spring and needle is in the way. Strange looking clip

Edit: never mind I got it. It wasn’t holding the spring I was just having a moment.

which clip should the needle be on? 

1969 BSA Bantam B175
2004 Harley Davidson Sportster
1998 Suzuki DR350
2007 Suzuki DR650SE
Grand Prix 160cc Victa Mini Bike

Blue Heeler
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 11, 2020 - 1:35 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not owned a B175 yet, carb is slightly different to my D14, but as a rule of thumb, I like to start with the needle raised & work from there, to save running it too weak/pinking. Dropping needle a notch if it runs too rich/lumpy. A worn carb(slide), will need a richer position than an unworn example.

Anthiron
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 11, 2020 - 2:39 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok. Pulled carb down and cleaned. There was muck in the jets but all in all I’ve seen a lot worse in good runners. Managed to save the gaskets. 

I put the needle in the middle notch but will try lifting it to the top. 

Got everything buttoned back up. Started it and I still have the same problem. Short video below.

i tried spraying brake cleaner around the carb body and flange to check for air leaks but nothing found. 

I guess I’m off to an auto store now for a condenser and plug. I’ll try for a coil but that’s not likely to be available. 

this is driving me nuts now! I guess I could also drain the tank and pull the petcock to have a look but fuel flows nicely down the line so I don’t think it’s that. 

grrrrr

1969 BSA Bantam B175
1998 Suzuki DR350
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Anthiron
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 11, 2020 - 6:14 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I absolutely can’t believe it....... but it was the condenser! 

wasn’t running right in middle needle setting so I raised the clip (lowering the needle) which improved things. Still not perfect. Doesn’t like WOT at all, bogs down and splutters. Ease off and it will pull smoothly again. 

best I got was about 55 with a tail wind. Should be good for at least 60-65 I’d thought.

has a 180/105 jet set in the carb. Going to go do a plug chop now. I think the main is too rich although these seem to be the standard jets from what I have read. 

1969 BSA Bantam B175
1998 Suzuki DR350
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

sunny
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1596
May 11, 2020 - 7:08 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

hi  and  well  done   now  youv   got  a  list   hang  it  the  garge   door   so  you  know  wear  it is   

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 729
May 11, 2020 - 8:09 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Awesome 👍🏼

What's 7/16 in mm again?

mikef
Chatham Kent
Club Technical Advisor
Committee
Forum Posts: 975
May 11, 2020 - 8:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great news, it now runs better. Bogging down on WOT could be a choked air cleaner. I had exactly the same problem a few years ago. Best test is to try and run without it and see if it's any better. A partially blocked exhaust could do the same.
The 180 main jet is correct and it's not normally necessary to change it.

Anthiron
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 11, 2020 - 8:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks again for everyone's help. Especially those insisting on switching out electrical items. I was dead set on it being the carb.

@mikef - I pulled the baffles earlier today while the carb was soaking. Also pulled the air cleaner. It's a K&N, clean, oiled  in good shape. I'll try running without the air cleaner on tomorrow and see how we go.

Its a 626-17 with a 3 1/2 slide, 180main, 105 pilot. These appear to be the bog stock settings. I want to try a 170 main as I currently have the needle on the highest clip (lowest needle setting), raising the needle gives poor running then when WOT it's rubbish, feels soggy to me. I guess if it runs a little better without the air cleaner that might prove my theory too.

Fun little thing to ride. RHS shift takes some time getting used to. Brakes are pretty good for what they are. Need to get some slightly higher bars on it.

Once I have the carb sorted I'll need to revisit my charging issues and test the stator.

1969 BSA Bantam B175
1998 Suzuki DR350
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 2091
May 11, 2020 - 9:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Glad your making progress...the BSA manual says position 2 for the needle om the B175.

Think I have a 160 main while since I had it apart...with the std main 180...my B175 ran far to rich....and was quite flat.

I think it would go great with a 150 but I don't want to push it.

By the way...what condenser did you fit...is it one for a car?...I know fit mine next to the coil...much better environment for it...less heat and vibration...both killers.

Nick.

My Bantam video              https://www.you.....jpOFmzRZRI

Blue Heeler
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 11, 2020 - 10:19 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That`s Bantams for you, can be one or a combination of several things. Cleaning the carb out will not have done any harm. Hopefully you`ll get that extra oomph out of her soon. Try a plug chop next. Any chance of a pic of that air filter. Maybe find someone who regularly rides theirs at the speeds you wish to & see what tricks they know, what with the B175 having a four-stroke carb, as opposed to the D14...if indeed yours is thus kitted?

Re mucking about with smaller main jets, you clearly like giving her a bit of welly, have nice long runs & higher temps over there, while some fellow Blighty Bantamites are quoted as bimbling along intercity avoiding fast roads, not keen on doing much over 45mph(nothing wrong with that)...eh Cheshire Nick 😉 I suggest a proper plug chop Oz Nick, to see where the land lies 🙂 Not casting nasturtiums, just don`t want to hear tales of a holed piston 🙁

Anthiron
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 11, 2020 - 11:08 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

@nickjaxe - Ended up with a 6cylinder Chrysler condenser. I just had the guy at the parts shop open a few boxes till i saw one that looked like it would fit inside the housing. Never occurred to me to mount elsewhere. I had to modify the mounting plate on the condenser and change the wire terminal but it works well.

@Blue Heeler - Less that I want to wring the little chicken out and more that I want it to run like it should. It's nice off idle and ok in the mid range but falls flat in the main circuit. I did one chop this afternoon but because it loses power at WOT I think I was back on the needle circuit before I cut ignition. Was a light brown. I'd like a little darker for a two stroke but it wasn't bad by any means. I agree, need to think of the piston and make smart choices on jets.

I believe mine is setup with the 4 stroke parts. But without having the 2 stroke parts to compare its hard to tell 100%.

I've got some K&N filter cleaner solution and oil so I'll give the filter a good wash tomorrow and re-oil it just in case. Generally I find K&N's will flow pretty well even when caked up but I guess that experience is on larger displacement 4 strokes bikes and Volkswagen engines which behave quite differently.

I'll do some more chops tomorrow after I've ruled out the air filter.

1969 BSA Bantam B175
1998 Suzuki DR350
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
May 11, 2020 - 11:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

When I bought my B175 it had a brand new B175 carb on it with the 4 stroke bits inside...think there are 4.

I never did like it like that so converted it back to D14 spec after lots and lots of tweaking...my main is a 160 or 170...I have a feeling its a 160...but it runs real nice now.

Plug is always a nice darker shade of brown...if I were brave I would try the 150 jet...I do have one but I am happy with it as it is...prefer reliability rather than speed.

50mph max suits me...I'm happier at 40mph giving the thing an easy life.

Worth while mod moving the condenser...did you notice the spec on the new one you bought?

Nick.

Blue Heeler
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 11, 2020 - 11:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sounds like you`re on the case good & proper now.

I personally don`t like those filters on 2-strokes...on my proddy-race 40mm-clad Guzzi for dusty road work yes... like you say for four-strokes.

Anthiron
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 12, 2020 - 8:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Apologies @blueheeler I forgot your photo of the air cleaner. Will try to remember tomorrow.

This morning I discovered I had taped some wires to the inner side panel on the air cleaner side. Over one of the cutaways where the filter clips are stamped out of. I guess this was enough to choke it at higher RPM's as it's livened right up. I put the needle back on the centre clip to be safe for the first run but ended up raising the clip to the top again. It's almost completely crisp through all positions now. Light brown plug chops.

I'd like to do a longer WOT run on a straight section of road (Need to go a bit further from home for that as I live in the hills) and do some better plug chops. Depending on results and whether a good italian tune up loosens up the last bit I may still try the 170 main.

Also got some new bars and a set of my favorite grips on. (Pro grip 714's) bit of electrical tape dome on the bars under the grips to improve comfort.

** Please log in to view **

1969 BSA Bantam B175
1998 Suzuki DR350
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
May 12, 2020 - 9:41 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Whats caused the hotspot at the rear of the exhaust?

Anthiron
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 12, 2020 - 10:01 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's where the baffle sits. I presume at one point in its life it was pretty coked up and the restriction caused the discoloration.
Best theory I have anyway.

1969 BSA Bantam B175
1998 Suzuki DR350
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Blue Heeler
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 12, 2020 - 10:15 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

She`s looking good. "Italian tune-up" hehe, I love it, two-strokes can respond well to that 🙂

Re bluing, someone`s welded the baffle rod back in.

I`ve just bought a silencer nice & cheap with same job to do. Had to do a few of them including my D14, over the years. I fuse two stick rods together to get the depth, but don`t let it get that hot...

...that should tone it down a bit....unless you like it as it is?

There`s probably something under the kitchen sink that`ll do the trick...I haven`t applied my brain that far 🙂

Anthiron
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 12, 2020 - 1:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ah, rewelding the baffle mount makes sense. I will likely leave it as is.

full disclosure, I have a high mount sports style header and pipe on order so the current pipe shouldn’t be on there too long. 

I figure there are hundreds of factory spec bantam Restos out there. I’ll do a bit of a trials/trails style thing with this one. I have a spare tank and am hunting a set of side panels and a spare sub frame. That way I can keep the nice tins on a shelf if I want to put it back and I can modify the spare sub frame for a higher non-valanced mud guard. 

lots of forestry trails etc. near where I live so it would make a lovely sedate vintage dirt bike. 

hope this doesn’t offend too many. I don’t own any factory stock motorcycles or cars. Don’t think i have ever left anything stock. 

1969 BSA Bantam B175
1998 Suzuki DR350
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
May 12, 2020 - 2:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I envy you with all those trails near to you...get jumped on here riding on them now, unfortunately....love to try that myself.

Keep us informed on your progress.

Nick.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online:
10 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3588

Cornish Rooster: 3310