A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
New owner B175 - A few questions.
Anthiron
Sunshine Coast QLD Australia
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 51
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 5, 2020 - 11:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks all. This is great info and easy to follow. I’ll rig up a light setup like mike p5xbx suggested.

i have a new regulator ordered but it’s coming from Rex Caunt in the UK so will take a while to get to Australia with the current situation. 

safety certificate inspection got pushed back to today. In about 2 hours. Hopefully a pass and I can at least open it up on the road for a good running test. Bit of kick back when starting so it’s likely the timing in out a little bit that should be reasonably easy to fix. Is clockwise advance and anti clockwise retard or the other way around? 

1969 BSA Bantam B175
2004 Harley Davidson Sportster
1998 Suzuki DR350
2007 Suzuki DR650SE
Grand Prix 160cc Victa Mini Bike

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3588
May 6, 2020 - 7:46 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

For points on the right, the crank rotates clockwise, so advance would be to the left (ACW), retard to the right (CW). Unless it's the other way round 'down under'. wink

1956 D3 running, lights to sort. 7 other bikes in the Barn. 1950 D1 engine now running.

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 2091
May 6, 2020 - 9:47 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Before you mess about with the timing...I would take out the crankcase drain to see if there is any build-up of fuel inside the crankcase as this can cause kick back.

Timing is quite critical...you never know without checking if its right as it is....there is a procedure....bit fiddly but worth doing.

My Bantam video              https://www.you.....jpOFmzRZRI

Anthiron
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 6, 2020 - 10:02 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Cocorico.

passed the safety certificate and got my license plates. We are road legal! 

got a bit on tomorrow so it’s likely to be Friday or the weekend before I’m checking the stator but I do intend to take it for a short ride tomorrow afternoon and see if anything else pops up.

got the bushman stand refitted this morning too and removed the centre stand. The bushman stand came with the bike but was bolted on the wrong angle and really barely worked. Some new holes sorted that. Will weld up the others at some point. 

edit: nickjax I have already drained the crank case. It definitely isn’t that. I also may have set the points slightly off but I doubt it. 

1969 BSA Bantam B175
1998 Suzuki DR350
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
May 6, 2020 - 10:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well done....here in the UK we dont need that sort of test anymore on cars bikes over 40 years of of age....we also can fit plates from yesteryear...nice old black ones...I love them.

Yes points gap will knock the timing out...to small a gap retards...to big advances.

Blue Heeler
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2698
May 6, 2020 - 8:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

cocorico said
For points on the right, the crank rotates clockwise, so advance would be to the left (ACW), retard to the right (CW). Unless it's the other way round 'down under'. wink  

I`m Strine & seem to remember water goes down the plughole the opposite way around to here in the NH, so you could be onto something....

Nick, My D14 sometimes kicks back even with timing bob-on. Ok, its a bit more tuned than the B175, but a kickback issue isn`t always ign timing related, sometimes its kicking technique, eg follow-through, carb setting/fueling/throttle position. Even known a faulty condenser cause such a reaction.

Blue

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
May 6, 2020 - 10:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes thats right a duff condenser will do that.

Blue Heeler
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 6, 2020 - 11:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I`ll have to put Oz Nick or UK Nick in my posts 🙂

Anthiron
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 7, 2020 - 6:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Cheers guys.

had a try for my test ride today but only got as far as the end of the driveway.

surging and then dying. I drained the float bowl and checked the screen (all good) plug is new. Fuel is new. Might have to go through the carb although it was running pretty well previously so I’m not sure what’s brought this on all of a sudden. 

managed to get it out on the road and up to the corner and back. Surging and coughing like I would expect from a lean condition where float bowl isn’t filling etc. don’t have a gasket kit handy so I shall have to leave that for now 🙁

Pity, I was looking forward to a nice maiden voyage. It started 2nd kick. I took this little clip of it idling and then it made it about 15m before giving my trouble.

1969 BSA Bantam B175
1998 Suzuki DR350
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 729
May 7, 2020 - 9:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Is the battery flat?If it's not charging and the battery goes flat it wont run right(ask me how I know😁)

What's 7/16 in mm again?

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
May 7, 2020 - 10:04 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dont sound like timing thats for sure.

Start with the easy stuff...will the engine idle ok...if it does the slow running circuit sounds ok.

As SM says make sure plenty power ion the batt...starting 2nd kick it sounds ok but what volts in the batt engine not running.

As somebody said yesterday...a duff condenser causes all kinds of probs.

I had a rough running engine last year....went through all sorts....purely by accident I notice the ground terminal was broken at the batt lug but looked intact....engine vibrations were enough to make it run interminably...was like riding a bucking roo. 

Could be a dodgy wire/connection anywhere...HT out of coil/into plug lead faulty plug...

Try hot wiring the coil....a wire direct from batt to the coil bypassing everything. 

The Ground on my bike is connected to the frame at the petrol tank to frame with its big long bolt...check that joint.

P.S. I had a look at a guys bantam a few years ago...said as soon as he pulls away it starts misfiring...I rode it...it was terrible...then I noticed the choke was on...it was summer so I had not put it on nor he he said...but what he didn't realise was that what he thought was off with the choke was in fact on.

In his D14 the lever is pulled back toward the rider to be off...as it is on my B175.

sunny
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1596
May 7, 2020 - 10:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

OK  Nick     this  is  Bantam   fun    racking  your  brains   in  the  shed  with   a  tin   of  you  faverit   brooooo    [ TEA ]   for  some   ,  batams    chep  to  mack   &  twise   a  hard  to  sort   out      so going  throw   the   list   your  going   to mack  will   keep  you   out   of  the   sun [  you  luky  man   ]   my  first    tip  it to  list   all  you  lern   on  the  garage   door    this  way   you  wont   loose   the  list       2nd  remove  the  sump plug   thay  will  run   but you  you  wont  get   far    well  done   its  a  great  bantam    have   fun       Sunny 

Blue Heeler
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 7, 2020 - 10:24 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Blocked breather hole in tank filler cap?

Try tickling the carb as she slows(ooo-er missus)....and see how she reacts.

Sticking float needle?

Sounds crisp enough, not smoking....what mix are you using in the tank?

Can you rig up test meter while you`re trundling along?

Blue

Anthiron
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 7, 2020 - 11:15 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi all, all good information. A few things I had already tested. 

battery is fully charged 6.4V Plenty of juice. 
choke is off. (Properly off with tension on the cable) tried running with fuel cap off. Tried tickling while running. 

I had an idea after coming back into the house this afternoon and think I have it solved. (Need to test tomorrow). I replaced the fuel line and in line filter yesterday. I bet I put the filter in backwards!! Hopefully it’s that simple.

1969 BSA Bantam B175
1998 Suzuki DR350
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Anthiron
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 7, 2020 - 11:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Forgot to mention the mix is 25:1 motul semi synthetic. Bike is fresh rings and the modern oil probably contribute to the little smoke.

also ordered a personalized license plate. In Australia they are reasonably cheap (comparatively) if you use two numbers followed by 3 letters or vice versa. After trying a few combos that were already taken I ordered “83ESA” - (BEESA) in black with white lettering. 

1969 BSA Bantam B175
1998 Suzuki DR350
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

Anthiron
Top Gear User
Site Member
May 10, 2020 - 7:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

OK, Still running badly. I'm thinking it has to be the carb but open to advice. (I'm shelving any charging issues until I have it running well again)

- Using starting procedure of fuel tap on/tickle carb/2 or 3 kicks with ignition off/ignition on and kick. It fires first or second kick.
- I've tried hot wiring the battery straight to the coil with no difference at all.
- Brand new fully charged 6v 4AH battery installed. Good solid connections including earths. (Solid earth available at full voltage at various locations around the frame.)
- Tried it with the fuel filter reversed with no difference. Removed the filter and ran a straight fuel hose with no difference.
- Checked points (Seems like they are hard to get the gap right on, the inset that they pivot on seems slightly off and doesn't let the upper plate run properly on the little screw's arc. Probably re-pop parts of low quality) set at 12thou.
- I can see the points spark when opening.
- Plug has a good blue spark
- If I tickle it while running it wants to stall

Things already ruled out a couple of days ago.
- Fuel is fresh and mixed at 25:1
- Runs the same with fuel cap off
- Sump plug has been pulled (only about 10ml drained out)
- No change if running on "E"

It starts second kick and usually idles fine after starting although sometimes it will surge and die straight after starting the bike.
Either way once setting off it will cough and die before surging a little again and then spluttering and dying. I can sort of keep it running by giving the throttle a bit of a twist but only just.

After I was going over the above today I kicked it and it ran nicely. Made it about 300m before it started playing up again. Then it gradually reverted back to the above and I nursed it the few hundred meters back home.

I'm thinking its a blockage or partial blockage in the carb which is shifting sometimes but being sucked in under the vacuum of accelleration. Likely happened when I cleaned the little float bowl screen? I can't really think of much else.

I haven't pulled the carb as I don't know Amal's at all.(Much more at home with Mikuni's, Webers and Solexs) am I likely to be able to salvage the gaskets? I don't have a set and they will be hard for me to source locally.

I guess it could also be the condensor.....

1969 BSA Bantam B175
1998 Suzuki DR350
2007 Suzuki DR650SE

sunny
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1596
May 10, 2020 - 8:51 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

hi Nick  i go  for  fual   /carb   i  have  a  nasty  habit  of   cleaning    the  fual  line & filters   with   limescale  remover      and  also   the  tiny  jet holes in the carb  with it   just  a  drip   and  very  qwickly           &  wash out   within 1/2  a  MINIT     30  seconds    clean  3or4  times  weth  WD 40  0r  petrol  ,. this  way  you  willnot  have to  strip  the carb     OR   move  the  setings     its   my  first  thing if  the  carb   looks like  it has  that  gray  podery feel  to it   ,. tha t  stuf  wiil  eat  away  the  aloy    so  you MUST  be   QWICK   wen useing  it    

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 729
May 10, 2020 - 9:36 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Choke lever is definitely the right way?Lever towards your heart so if you crash it impales you 👍🏼

What's the mixture screw set at?A d14 is 1 3/4 out from memory not sure on yours as the carbs are jetted different but try starting at 1/2 turn from all the way in and try adjusting from there.

What's 7/16 in mm again?

AdrianS
Harlaston Staffs
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 145
May 10, 2020 - 9:45 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had similar problems a year or two ago. Bike started fine but when tried to move off, it just spluttered and died.

Turned out to be the carb needle/needle seat had come adrift in the carb. Refitted the needle and seat and all was well!

Defo sounds like carb/fuelling.  Strip carb, clean out and blow out all the drillings, check float is ok and needle valve works and does not stick and hopefully all will be well!

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
May 10, 2020 - 10:07 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The carbs are very simple...no a lot to go wrong...but if the idle circuit is blocked or part blocked...its a drilling it will run like «censored»...but I think your will tick over idle so the should rule that out.

I get the feeling yu still haven't changed the condenser...that should have been step 2...they can have horrendous effects...but not always the same.

Mine was bucking like roo some months ago...think I have mentioned it...it was a broken cable ground cable terminal making and braking....it would start great but as soon as any speed up on the road the virbs made it break.

Is the ground to the frame tight/clean....go for easy stuff first.

Have you swapped the plug....checked the HT lead at both ends....take it out of the coil end...is it making a good cont inside the coil....like wise at the plug cap.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: Patternmaker9
6 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3588

Cornish Rooster: 3310

bart: 3125

Blue Heeler: 2698