A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
mikuni questions
derek50
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 21
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 28, 2021 - 3:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi all, been trying to start my D14/4 since i got it a few months ago, done & replaced everything except carb, even cleaned the carb & put a little fresh petrol in with no oil in it just to see if it would start ......... nothing! so i  bit the bullet & ordered a new carb, wanted an Amal but none in stock so I went for a Mikuni & after fitting it, it started after a couple of kicks!..........great.

But I've got a couple of questions, 

1 - the rubber adapter, a real pain to fit but I got it on, hard to get an open ender on the nuts to tighten it, should I have got a different adapter?

2 - fitting the carb to the rubber adapter, should there be some sort of clamp? it's very loose, i fitted a jubilee clip but it's not right.

3 - the fuel pipe, the inlet on the Mikuni is about twice the size of the outlet on the tank, is it a case of stretching one end & squeezing the other?

I can probably sort these probs out one way & another but i've found it always pays to ask those that know as they always seem to come up with 

the simplest solutions. 

AdrianS
Harlaston Staffs
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 163
May 30, 2021 - 6:38 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Where did you get your Mikuni from?

was it one from Rex or was it a cheap eBay copy?

derek50
Second Gear User
Club Member
May 30, 2021 - 3:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Got it from Rex Caunt

mike1949
West Sussex
First Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3
May 30, 2021 - 8:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello, I've not responded to your post because I needed to make a few enquires so now here goes. First the petrol hose  - if you just want to try it out up the road the simple answer is to buy an inline petrol filter from a motor factor with a stepped taper on both ends (They are common and freely available) The long term answer is to change the petrol tap, I believe that many british bikes used the same thread into the tank. I think that you can get one for an Enfield Bullet from Hitchcocks in Redditch which is where Rex Caunt told me to get the air filter for my Mikuni. The carb should be held in the adaptor with a clip.I, looked at my mates Kawasaki today which has four similar sized Mikunis and that had a round  metal clamp with a bolt across the bottom but I would imagine that a Jubillee clip woul work as well. Hope this helps. Mike

derek50
Second Gear User
Club Member
May 30, 2021 - 10:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for that mike, that'a great help, i would have thought that a company with a reputation like Rex Caunt would have supplied a clip even if it added another pound or so to the price or at least let me know what i needed. For a jubilee clip to do the job i'm going to have to put another thick gasket on to reduce the amount of threaded stud beyond the nuts as the studs stop the jubilee clip going on completely if that makes sense.  As i said before the adaptor seems wrong for the Bantam but hey-ho it's running & i'll get it sorted one way or another.

The petrol tap seems the way to go as I've got a filter which worked with the Amal but there just isn't enough room between the petrol tap & the inlet on the Mikuni to fit it & the rubber hose is just too thick to bend as i need, (the filter's one of those longish chrome jobs).

Thanks again for that Mike.     

Sponge
Lancashire (A chip shop somewhere near Preston)
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 605
May 31, 2021 - 9:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Perhaps you should have asked on the forum here if anybody had a good 626 concentric that you could try on your bike to see if it worked before splashing out on a mikuni conversion and all the associated minor engineering challenges that go with it. These challenges are all part of the fun and will help you to bond with your bike. However once you go down the non-standard route....i.e. a mikuni carb on a D14, you should expect challenges and be prepared to face them rather than expect suppliers to solve them for you. There is, after all,  plenty of help available on this forum. 

As for your fuel line....it will be  difficult to get an inline filter in between the fuel tap and the mikuni inlet pipe but it is possible..I have done it with a D7 but it requires a fair bit of trial and error. If you give your fuel tank a good clean out and fit a fuel tap with its gauze in good condition then you might not require the inline filter. I have also found that when the fuel level in your tank gets low these inline filters can inhibit fuel flow which can lead to erratic running. 

derek50
Second Gear User
Club Member
May 31, 2021 - 2:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Sponge, fair comment, please don't think i was moaning, i assumed this route had been gone down many times before & someone was going to reply

"you need an elongated shuttle valve from a Dyson upright" or something similar, challenges are no problem, i do enjoy them, but i didn't want to go to 

all the bother of making a manifold that will fit & then be told " why didn't you ask......." I wanted another Amal but their not to be had so i settled for 

the Mikuni, but when I asked for one to fit that Bantam i would have thought it would be a easy fit, alas not so,  but now i know i can carry on & get it

sorted.  Cheers   

Sponge
Lancashire (A chip shop somewhere near Preston)
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 605
May 31, 2021 - 6:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have fitted several Mikunis in my time but there have always been challenges with mountings, cables, air filters and fuel lines. However..once set up they are very good indeed and run very clean. Suggest keep all the std stock stuff in storage just in case you need to revert at some point.  Good luck.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online:
21 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3320

Cornish Rooster: 2917

Blue Heeler: 2435

bart: 2428

David Dale: 2144