A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
How to remove oil seals from B175 forks
cpimm
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 35
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 11, 2019 - 9:12 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Having problems removing seals from chrome oil seal housing of heavy weight B175 forks. First of all I'm not sure whether I should change them at all as they look okay. However the bike was stood for many years before I acquired it and there was no oil at all in the legs. I guess the general advice on this would be to replace them as I've got so far but part of me thinks 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'! Be very annoying to get everything back together and then find they leaked!

So if I do go for it, I'm not sure whether I need to replace the oil seals, wiper seals, 'O' rings or all three. The 'O' ring does appear to be flattened and slightly abraided so this should probably be done.

The workshop manual explains how to remove the oils seal by driving them out using a drift and then how to replace them but warns that in doing so the seals will be destroyed. It is very vague about the wiper seal just explaining it seats above the main seal and if it is split or perished (which doesn't look to be the case) then they also, should be replaced.

What I can't seem to work out is how to remove the wiper seal before the oil seal. Surely if I drive out the oil seals as explained on page E6 of the Worksop manual, destroying them in the process, then the wiper seals also will be damaged?

I know there are other topics relating to the forks on this model but I can't find any that cover this specific problem. There is also a video but again this doesn't show how to remove and replace the seals. Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

cocorico
Central France
Forum Posts: 2772
April 11, 2019 - 9:41 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

There is plenty of info on the forum. Type b175 fork seals site:bsabantamclub.com/forum into your browses's search box.

The Bantam Club Forum - all the answers are in there.

cpimm
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 35
April 11, 2019 - 11:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Cocorico. Just spent an hour reading through all the forums relating to this topic but none of them answer my question; how to remove the wiper seal before the oil seal.

JulianS
North Dorset
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 45
April 11, 2019 - 4:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Took mine out yesterday.

With oil seal holder off the fork just tap it on the work bench and the wiper seal will dislodge quite easily

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 98

Currently Online:
14 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

Anderzander: 3209

bart: 3137

Sprung Chicken: 2650

Mags 1: 2512