A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Gasket goo to fix oil leak?
MartinFarrell
Kingston Surrey
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 18
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 15, 2019 - 11:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

After months of fiddling about I've just got my D14 going.  Yay.  Not having been out on it for a while I'd forgotten about the oily underneath. Out on it today I was reminded of the oil leak by the burning oil off the exhaust pipe.  I've put in a new washer on the gear oil drain plug.  But to be sure I'd be glad of some advice about the gasket on the cover.  I didn't put any goo on it when I replaced it a couple of years ago and its always been messy underneath.  Now I'd like to sort it.  Should I use goo and if so what he best to use? Any ideas? Thanks folks.     

Piquet
West Norfolk
Admin
Forum Posts: 2318
September 16, 2019 - 1:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Are you sure it's an oil leak from below? Or is it coming out of the filler/breather and running down the engine.

See here.

** Please log in to view **

I'm not a complete idiot ............................................ some parts are missing.

sunny
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1300
September 16, 2019 - 8:38 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

you  will    get  oil  from   the   exhaust  pipe  chrome  nut   so do  it  up       &  pipe  ther  is  usly  a driled  hole   in  the  sylencer    so  the   oil  dont  fill  it up   no   sealer needed  on  this  lot

AdrianS
Harlaston Staffs
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 85
September 16, 2019 - 10:44 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, oil does leak a bit out of the exhaust barrel joint but should coke up in time with normal use.

If the engine is leaking from another source, you will need to completely clean and dry underneath it and then carefully look to see where the oil is coming from. Make sure the gearbox plug fibre washer is good and is sealing well.

From the engine it could either be  from the 2 halves of the crankcases or from the clutch cover. If it is from the crank cases then it an engine stripdown job. If it from the clutch cover, then drain the gearbox oil out and take the cover off and fit a new gasket (Rex Caunts thick gasket is good for this). I use blue hylomar sealer as it doesn't set and has always worked for me. 

For the crankcase joint, the crankcase faces need to be very clean and flat, and then use some Threebond compound to join them. There is no centre gasket.

Bee175
Felixstowe, Suffolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 448
September 17, 2019 - 1:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

AdrianS said
Yes, oil does leak a bit out of the exhaust barrel joint but should coke up in time with normal use.

If the engine is leaking from another source, you will need to completely clean and dry underneath it and then carefully look to see where the oil is coming from. Make sure the gearbox plug fibre washer is good and is sealing well.

From the engine it could either be  from the 2 halves of the crankcases or from the clutch cover. If it is from the crank cases then it an engine stripdown job. If it from the clutch cover, then drain the gearbox oil out and take the cover off and fit a new gasket (Rex Caunts thick gasket is good for this). I use blue hylomar sealer as it doesn't set and has always worked for me. 

For the crankcase joint, the crankcase faces need to be very clean and flat, and then use some Threebond compound to join them. There is no centre gasket.  

Ditto.

Except that I've never had to use any hylomar or other gasket product on the clutch cover using Rex's gasket. I do smear it lightly with grease though.

BSA Bantam B175 1971 and BSA C15 1966

Peterg
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1178
September 17, 2019 - 10:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

There is no real reason to use sealant on the clutch cover. It doesn't retain any lubricant. It is just decorative and to keep dirt out. After all, the clutch operating mechanism will get loads of crud from below

carpetralph
Pontefract
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 118
September 18, 2019 - 6:27 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Peterg said
There is no real reason to use sealant on the clutch cover. It doesn't retain any lubricant. It is just decorative and to keep dirt out. After all, the clutch operating mechanism will get loads of crud from below  

I thought the clutch and primary chain were lubricated from the gearbox oil, or are you meaning the clutch operating side?

sunny
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1300
September 18, 2019 - 8:14 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

all  cluch covers   on  stard  bantams   have  to be  sealed    the   fixing  bolts  also  have  a  fiber  washer  to stop OIL   leaking    out  ,.,. its  the  nearside   cover  dont  need  seals   

Peterg
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1178
September 18, 2019 - 9:28 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, sorry. I was in BSA B series mode where the clutch is on the left side

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: SpacedMarine
12 Guest(s)