A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Fork and wheel advice
Singe
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 14
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 26, 2020 - 6:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi 

I’m looking to fit a 21 inch front wheel on my d10 - is this possible on the original forks. Converting to a green laner. 

NeilB
Guests
March 26, 2020 - 9:53 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm not sure it would fit with the original fork shroud, but looks like it will, definitely won't fit with the original mudguard though. With an equivalent sized tyre you're adding 1 1/2" radius, but you'll probably be adding 2 - 2/12" by the time you've got a knobbly tyres on there.

I'd stick to either the 18" or maybe 19" wheel if it were me, the original lightweight forks will give up before the original wheel, and it's only green laning. Just my opinion 🙂

The biggest problem with green lanes is finding ones still in use without a TRO on them thanks to the idiots in land rovers and dirt bikes who "go and play" on them, often in large groups, instead of using them respectfully and sensibly. 

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3600
March 26, 2020 - 11:35 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

19" should be perfectly adequate for Green laning, as Neil says - especially on a Bantam (no disrespect). He's right about lane availability, too. I remember back when I was a TRU member up in N.Lancs, it was getting increasingly difficult then, especially with 4WD. It's easy over here with kms of 'Routes d'exploitation' available from my doorstep. Unfortunately I have decided that advancing age and lone trailing are not compatible.

1956 D3 running, lights to sort. 7 other bikes in the Barn. 1950 D1 engine now running.

bantammad
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 253
March 26, 2020 - 3:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi bantammad ere just to back up the two previous posts at this point in time I’m changing the front wheel of my D3 trial special it’s fitted with standard guards so the maximum wheel size is 19in the wheels at the moment they’ are 18in D5 so I’m in the process of lacing up the 19in front wheel cus l can done my own wheels for years I’m like that from the shed Les 

Singe
Second Gear User
Club Member
March 27, 2020 - 8:07 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for advice - finding it difficult to find off road front tires for 18” and 19” - but 21” seems abundant. 

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3600
March 27, 2020 - 8:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You don't need anything drastic, I've green laned on an R100GS, Funduro and Triumph Tiger, Morini Kanguro, all fairly heavy and fitted with dual purpose tyres. Have a look for 19 x 2.5 trail tyres, there's a reasonable looking choice. eg Vee Rubber VRM308, Heidenau. With the light weight of a Bantam you would probably find standard block pattern tyres OK if you are just going for a gentle excursion.

1956 D3 running, lights to sort. 7 other bikes in the Barn. 1950 D1 engine now running.

bantammad
Top Gear User
Club Member
March 27, 2020 - 8:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi bantammad ere singe Wheel House Tyres advertising 18- 19 inch trail type tyres I’ve purchased from them in the past.l think if you’re a bantam owner may get a bit of the price .reason l say that some time back purchased a set of spokes I went on the Bantam. The guy said riding a Bantam owner will knock a bit of gave me some discount may be interesting from the shed Les 

NeilB
Guests
March 27, 2020 - 10:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

** Please log in to view **

They should handle anything a bantam can! You may want to look for a 2.75 front as apparently not all 3.00 tyres fit, but I have plenty of clearance on my mudguard and you don't need to go very knobbly. 

Sponge
Lancashire (A chip shop somewhere near Preston)
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 274
March 30, 2020 - 4:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

A very long time ago I owned a very well used D10A with standard forks and a 21 inch front wheel. I would advise you not to do it. 

On road, over 45 mph it had a habit of getting into a tank slapper due to altered steering geometry - very scary.  

Off road - the trials tyre would foul the front frame downtube on full compression ( i.e. going down a steep slope and using the front brake at the bottom), this had me off on several occasions and finally put me in hospital with an unmentionable injury.  I changed it out for a 19 inch, much better. 

Singe
Second Gear User
Club Member
April 11, 2020 - 10:56 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

bantammad said
Hi bantammad ere singe Wheel House Tyres advertising 18- 19 inch trail type tyres I’ve purchased from them in the past.l think if you’re a bantam owner may get a bit of the price .reason l say that some time back purchased a set of spokes I went on the Bantam. The guy said riding a Bantam owner will knock a bit of gave me some discount may be interesting from the shed Les   

Hi batammad —thanks for the tip. Ive had a look on the wheel house site but no luck. Can you send me the link to the tyres you are referring to. Thanks.

bantammad
Top Gear User
Club Member
April 13, 2020 - 1:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi singe best to give them a ring you my get a satisfactory result all the best Les 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: mikef, sunny, ZZ, Stoo63, robbo, M80boy
8 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3600

Cornish Rooster: 3310

bart: 3125

Blue Heeler: 2709

Sprung Chicken: 2653