A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
First proper run, couple of teething issues
coxy46
Nottingham
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 12
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 1, 2019 - 1:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Finally got round to giving my new Bantam a good run yesterday ( and no major oil leaks and even the down pipe sealed on it's own! yay!). But engaging 2nd gear is really hard. 1st fine, 3rd fine, 4th fine. Changing down from 3rd to 2nd seems ok, but going up from 1st to 2nd, every other time I can only get neutral. I have to give it the most awkward of forceful "toe ups". I have to basically lift my foot up rather than tilting my foot to up-shift.

And secondly, when I apply the front brake at anything above 15mph, the front end weaves upon slowing down. Very disconcerting. So much so, it kinda scares me to pull it on. I am guessing something is off here.

Other than that, it pulls really well (haven't done a top speed test yet - need to sort the brakes first!), and it so much fun nipping around the country lanes near me.

Any initial thoughts on fixing these issues would be much appreciated.

Greg.

Coxy46 (Nottingham - England)

1968 Bantam D14/4

carpetralph
Pontefract
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 118
October 1, 2019 - 8:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My D14 is a bit notchy in the gearbox dept, and I have to make sure to give the pedal a good foot of the peg lift. Sometimes a bit notchy on the way down too. I try to change down through the gears on the move, because sometimes if I come to a standstill I cannot get it into first and a couple of times I have had to slip the clutch and pull away in second. Seems ok otherwise so I don`t know if its a common complaint.

As for weaving under braking, whats the front tyre like and how old is it.  Also is there any wear in the fork bushes, headstock bearings etc. Only other thing I can think of that might cause it is if the front and rear wheals are not in alignment.

AdrianS
Harlaston Staffs
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 85
October 2, 2019 - 9:38 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Apart from whats already been said, did you fit new front brake shoes or rebuild the hub? If so, it could be that the new shoes need bedding in or there may be the possibility of a bit of grease or other contaminent on the hub or shoes which can cause a judder. 

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 497
October 2, 2019 - 11:05 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes the gearboxes are a bit hit and miss .Sometimes I have to tap the gear lever down a bit when I'm in 3rd then give it a good firm boot up into 4th.At least you seem to have all the gears.Myself and a couple of others have had issues where 4th gear disengaged under load so take it a s a blessing in disguise 👍🏼

As for the front brakes as above.The front forks are pretty weedy which doesn't help.I always find a bit of back brake helps stabilise the bike beforb putting the front brake on otherwise the front end just dives giving all sorts of oh my God moments when your travelling briskly 🤣

What's 7/16 in mm again?

Peterg
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1178
October 2, 2019 - 1:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The physical movement of the gear lever from first to second is greater than the other gears. I sometimes find that I need to lift my size 10 foot off the peg to get enough movement.

The forks on the D7 - 14 are pretty spindly and do twist under braking. You need to make sure all the bolts are tight and the brake plate is not lose in addition to  from the head stock issues mentioned

coxy46
Nottingham
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 12
October 11, 2019 - 11:45 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Solved the chattering / weaving front brake.

Turned out to be the steering head was stupidly loose. A quick tighten up and I reckon the brakes as good as small drum brake will ever do. Still not amazing, but when used with the really good back brake, I can stop with enough force not to be too scared!

Had a 10 mile, potter around the streets, no major issues (got to sort out my bar end mirror as it makes contact with the brake lever if i pull if on too much), and need to sort a cycle computer as I find the speedo hard to read. (fitted a digital tachometer which works really well). And thinking of designing and fitting some 6v led indicators that are inconspicuous and can be swivelled away. (but that's for another day)

No major leaks, underside after a ride has a spot of oil, but not enough to drip down. Again, about as good as I could expect.

And I can't believe how light and stable the bike is at slow speeds. You feel so confident doing tight u-turns and off camber slow speed manoeuvres. Wish i had this when I took my test 22 years ago. Compared to my R1 it's like a pedal bike!

Thanks again guys.

Coxy46 (Nottingham - England)

1968 Bantam D14/4

Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
Forum Posts: 220
October 11, 2019 - 11:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great stuff, Greg. Many happy miles ahead of you! And any small niggles can be sorted out over the winter. Another one rides again!!

'52 D1 direct lighting plunger, '58 Square Four (project), '59 D1 direct lighting plunger,  '59 Tiger Cub, '60 5TA,  '76 FS1-E

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online:
11 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

Anderzander: 3208

bart: 3136

cocorico: 3046

Sprung Chicken: 2651