A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
B175 Ignition problem
Gary S
First Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 31, 2020 - 11:03 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello, can anyone help with my intermittent loud of spark problem pin my B175. I can fly around for a whilst no problem then after say 5/10 mins she dies. After a whilst she gets her spark back, but l have noticed that sometimes it won't spark on battery (1) & only on (E) and vice versa.  Any ideas peeps? 

Gary

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1580
June 5, 2020 - 2:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wonder if the condenser is on its way out and the engine heat is killing it.

Lots of owners me included have relocated the condenser next to the HT coil under the seat...easy mod...protects the condenser from heat and vibrations....both killer to electricals.

I suppose another possibility is that the HT coil is failing...they are usually very reliable....substitution is the easy check.

Nick.

My Bantam video              https://www.you.....jpOFmzRZRI

Lone Wolf
The Black Country
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1316
June 6, 2020 - 12:32 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wotcha.

Does it have an NGK spark plug by any chance ?

There were a few counterfeit NGKs knocking about - they would work fine, then just pack up, then work again.  A friend of mine has just had a similar problem with one cylinder of a Triumph Bonneville.  Turned out it was a dodgy plug. 

^..^

mcafee
Malton North Yorkshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 113
June 6, 2020 - 7:01 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi I had exactly the same problem on my Greeves,it would start fine and run for about 10 mins and then start missiing on one cylinder so i changed the condensor ,problem sorted.Go for the cheapest and easy solutions first.With regard to NGK plugs I made the mistake of buying an NGK plug on ebay looking for the cheapest deal and guess what it failed after about 70 miles,fortunately I kept the old plug which got me home.

Stay safe.   David

Gary S
First Gear User
Site Member
June 6, 2020 - 7:18 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks gents, I will try a condensor. And I must admit I had problems and been suspicious of NGK plugs for years, on other equipment and bikes. Doh, I have just bought two cheap ones off fleabay as well. As I thought that maybe the original plug could be the wrong heat range and could be failing. 

Regards Gary 

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1580
June 6, 2020 - 9:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Its a shame about all this chap copy stuff from China ruining the good name of quality manufactures....NGK should be one of the best plugs we can use.

Cant blame NGK for whats going on in China.

My Bantam video              https://www.you.....jpOFmzRZRI

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3309
June 6, 2020 - 8:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Talking through your hat again.

Lone Wolf
The Black Country
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1316
June 6, 2020 - 8:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

cocorico said
Talking through your hat again.  

Wotcha.

Ever have the feeling you've posted the reply in the wrong section ?  laugh

** Please log in to view **

^..^

N.D.James
Swansea
Top Gear User
Club Member
June 6, 2020 - 10:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Try a new spark plug 

Could be the electrode breaking down once gets hot 

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 720
June 6, 2020 - 10:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Europarts have the right plugs dirt cheap I bought half a dozen for less than £15 I think.

What's 7/16 in mm again?

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3309
June 7, 2020 - 8:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Lone Wolf said
...Ever have the feeling you've posted the reply in the wrong section ?  laugh

roflroflrofl tip-my-hat

bantammad
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 181
June 7, 2020 - 8:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi bantammad ere can I stick my pennuth in when l had my motorcycle work shop mot station l had a batch of NGK spark plugs which came from my supplier the hole box were faulty? Perhaps its a manufactured fault just for info from the shed Les 

carpetralph
Pontefract
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 110
June 8, 2020 - 9:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Interesting!. For my sins I am currently restoring a Triumph TR3 (car, not motorcycle), and there has recently been a lengthy post about spark plugs on their forum (TR Register). Started by an owner who was seeking advise because he was fed up of changing spark plugs that kept packing in.

Among the many suggestions and answers there was one which stated that the porcelain insulators used to be glazed, but most manufacturers have stopped glazing because the removal of lead from petrol has made it uneccesary. The down side to this is that if a plug gets wet (flooded) with petrol it soaks in to the insulator and renders the plug useless and no amount of drying out will recover it.

Another answer stated that modern fuels containing ethanol burned at a different rate and temperature to leaded fuel and can overheat plugs, and a change to a different grade of plug was the answer.

I had to finish a long journey many years ago in an old Series 1 Landrover whose exhaust silencer had broken off. It had to be done in short stages because the open exhaust caused the engine to breath more easily and weakened the mixture, causing the engine to run hot and the spark kept dying. After 10 mins at the side of the road it would start up again and do another 5 miles or so. Was fine after exhaust was fixed next day. Symptoms sound similar to what Gary is experiencing, so I wonder if a weak mixture is his problem?

Ralph

carpetralph
Pontefract
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 110
June 8, 2020 - 9:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Incidentally I have heard a lot about NGK plugs, could all be about fakes around, but I will only buy champion now, currently made in France, but don`t seem to have been cloned yet.

Ralph

Gary S
First Gear User
Site Member
June 9, 2020 - 11:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

carpetralph said
Incidentally I have heard a lot about NGK plugs, could all be about fakes around, but I will only buy champion now, currently made in France, but don`t seem to have been cloned yet.

Ralph  

Nice reply Ralph and certainly food for thought and worth investigating.

As I said in my original post, I have had trouble with NGK plugs in my Triumph TR6 motorcycle. I have a few Triumph cars though (& Landrover's).

Regards Gary 

mcafee
Malton North Yorkshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
June 10, 2020 - 8:09 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Morning Having had problems with standard NGK plugs I now run all my bikes,both 2 and 4 stroke,on NGK Iridium ones with no problems.With regard to engines running hotter with modern fuels I have started using a 1grade cooler plug in my B175 and it seems to run better when the engine is hot.

David

sunny
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1699
June 10, 2020 - 9:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

hi  alll  iv  a   scwich  baned  head    here     with   2    plug hols   one  is for  a decomprein   valve      the valve  hole  being long   reach   a MINI plug  gos   in  so  i  coued  have  2  plugs   on the go  a the same   time  

Unitminor
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 83
June 10, 2020 - 9:41 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

As I have said before I stopped using NGK plugs after buying an 18 mm one from a local main auto electrical suppliers.  It only worked for a short while in my New Imp and then packed up.  It was the final straw after having some 14 mm ones being of suspect quality. 

bantammad
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 181
June 10, 2020 - 9:42 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi bantammad ere yes sunny l to run a twin plug headed bantam have been built that way for over sixteen years both plugs firing the idea came from some MOD engine maybe a Wisconsin if l remember right any how , l thought maybe get an after burn effect Possibly produce a second ignition off the fuel all l can say the engine has never faulted happy 😃 days Les 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: Mike bower
14 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3309

Cornish Rooster: 3109

bart: 2685

Blue Heeler: 2543

David Dale: 2346