A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
D14B Wiring
petejem
First Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 25, 2021 - 10:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The engine is a D14 and the frame is a D7

I have tried getting the thing started but it had a very weak spark which has now disappeared

It has a new coil magneto which has a red lead and a black lead,plus the brass loop for the ht lead.

I have fastened the black lead on the frame for the earth. The red lead i fixed to the points and took the lead down 

to the condensor 

I connected the HT lead to the brass loop.

I have changed the wiring about around the points and I am a little worried about the red lead which seems to be shorting out.

I think the condensor is not working as it should. so i decided to change it

The circuit is very basic i know but the points have been filed to allow it to fit.

As you can tell my limits are pretty bad. 

any help

Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
Forum Posts: 1239
March 25, 2021 - 10:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello Peter and welcome to the Club and the Forum Electrics are far and away our commonest issue, so you'll find LOTS of info on the Forum - see below. You're going to need to tell us what electrical items you're using.  Pics will help.

You will find just about everything you could ever want on the Forum via the FAQs and technical sections;  ** Please log in to view **

Have a really good nose around the forum and enjoy yourself. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Good Luck!

All the best,

Stewart

'55 D3 Battery; '58 Square Four (project); '59 D1 direct lighting plunger; '59 Tiger Cub; '60 5TA;  '76 FS1-E; '91 GTR 1000;  '97 Honda Sky SGX50.

stubaker58
Sunny Felixstowe
Area Rep
Club Member
Forum Posts: 624
March 26, 2021 - 7:39 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Pete(?),

could you post a picture of your set up? (You’ll have to get the photo below 1Mb to get it to work).

You day it’s a D14 engine but then talk about a magneto coil.  The D14 did not have a magneto but a separate coil under the seat. Which side of the engine are the points on?

Whichever type of system it is starting with the condenser is wise, they often give trouble.  

If it is a magneto system then the wiring should be pretty straightforward, coil to earth and points with condenser attached to points, ignore (or disconnect) the other coils. Check that the points are clean and flat and that they open and close properly.  The cam could be loose and sometimes the end of the crank whips around too much because the bush in the centre of the stator is worn (replacement is pretty simple).

If there’s still no spark we start to get into deeper water including crankshaft timing and flywheel magnetism but it’s probably something simple. 

Good luck!

“There’s nothing new under the sun”.

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3465
March 26, 2021 - 7:48 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was just going down the same route as Stubaker. Have a look in FAQs, ** Please log in to view **.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: Nick_S, derek50
14 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3465

Cornish Rooster: 3109

bart: 2691

Blue Heeler: 2540

David Dale: 2346