A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
D14 Throttle Slide Wear - Photos attached - Is this ok?
coxy46
Nottingham
First Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 4
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 12, 2019 - 3:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi,

I'm new here, just purchased a 1968 D14.

Good news it starts. Bad news is it will bog and then die once I open the throttle. I suspected the choke cable not fully lifting the air slide as the cable was really loose and fell out when you turn the handlebar air lever, so when it turns fully tight it's not actually lifting it fully. I ordered a new choke cable as the original one the end ferrule was all broken and the outer cable was probably too short, so I had to remove the throttle slide.

Long story short this is what I have.

Carb1-Small.jpgCarb2-Small.jpgCarb3-Small.jpg

I take it the carb wasn't all new, is the throttle slide wear excessive? Does this need replacing? - The engine side does not have a step in it at all and is smooth.

Regards

Greg.

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Coxy46 (Nottingham - England)

1968 Bantam D14/4

Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
Forum Posts: 117
August 12, 2019 - 7:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Greg and welcome. D14 isn't my area but I'm sure some of the brains on here will be along to help you out soon.

Good Luck

Stewart

'52 D1 direct lighting plunger, '58 Square Four (project), '59 D1 direct lighting plunger,  '59 Tiger Cub, '60 5TA,  '76 FS1-E

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2912
August 12, 2019 - 8:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Have you checked that the exhaust is not partially blocked?

1956 D3 awaiting a new magneto. 7 other bikes in the Barn, 6 runners and a still in progress Morini 250

johnsullivan
east sussex
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 792
August 12, 2019 - 9:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Remember the choke is off when the lever is pointing at you.The slide could be better but its not U/S.

67 D10. and a D7    2007 Honda Hornet FA. Honda CD200 81 93 Yamaha TTR 250 Raid, Sinnis SC 125.   75 Montesa Cota 247 an electric scooter of Famous make.

Lone Wolf
The Black Country
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1441
August 13, 2019 - 2:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wotcha.

The slide on my D14 used to rattle about when on tickover.  You would have sworn it was a small end gone.

I had the carb reconditioned and a brass slide fitted, along with a "Premier" pilot jet.   Cost me around £56 if I remember correctly.

^..^

coxy46
Nottingham
First Gear User
Site Member
August 13, 2019 - 8:48 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks guys for your quick responses. Good news on the slide. Once I get the new cables I'll refit and give it a whirl.

To confuse matters the air lever on my bike has a left handed lever on the right hand side, so everything is in reverse.

I am right saying though that when the choke cable is at it's tightest (being pulled) that's the position it needs to be in when warm and running (i.e choke off)??

1968 Bantam D14/4

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 411
August 13, 2019 - 10:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

coxy46 

I am right saying though that when the choke cable is at it's tightest (being pulled) that's the position it needs to be in when warm and running (i.e choke off)??  

Yes the cable pulls the slide up and out of the way.with the air filter off turn the choke off(pull cable tight)open the throttle fully and check the choke slide is all the way up so your getting full power at full throttle.If I pull mine too far the slide sticks so I have put a sharpie mark on the lever where I know the choke is fully open and wont interfere with the throttle operation.I actually had to take a bit of emery cloth to my slide as I think the bore was slightly oval due to over tightening at some point and it kept sticking.

What's 7/16 in mm again?

Ringting
Newport Pagnell
Second Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 29
August 16, 2019 - 10:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It looks quite worn to me. That'll weaken your mixture at small throttle opening. I'd try lifting the needle by putting the clip in the bottom groove to richen it up a bit.

Alan. 

D1, D14/4, Guzzi LeMans, Triumph Trident 900, Maserati 160 t4. Mk1 Mini Traveller, Berkeley T60.

coxy46
Nottingham
First Gear User
Site Member
August 19, 2019 - 11:26 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

All new cables on and after tweaking the Carb Throttle stop screw, it is idling nicely at around 1100 rpm and also revs without bogging (so reckon it was the choke not moving high enough in the carb when it was turned off). Not got it warm yet or taken it for a spin as I need to attend to some front brake issues and then rewire the whole bike (nothing part from the starting circuit is wired in), so there are probably going to be a few more problems to iron out once on the road. But that's for another day.

Thanks for all your help. ( I am sure I'll be needing more help soon!).

1968 Bantam D14/4

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online:
8 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

Anderzander: 3208

bart: 3139