A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
D14 Stand Lug
PeteMcD
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 97
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 9, 2011 - 2:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

As mentioned on the Intro Forum, fifty years after trading in my D3 for a Norton Model 50, my last venture on two wheels, I have acquired a 1968 D14 that has been off the road for 10 years during which time it has had 3 owners and undergone various stages of “restoration”. I suspect the last two achieved little of this, having given up on what seemed a good idea at the time. However quite some money has obviously been spent in the past, lots of new bits but also some very amateurish botched jobs. Having kindly had pointed out to me that the front brake ineffectiveness was the result a rear actuator arm being fitted, I am stripping and working my way through the whole bike to check what else might be amiss. This therefore is my next topic to seek advice on as I tackle this process.

A lurching and wobbly stand was traced to a feeble attempt to arc weld just one side of a broken lug prior to using a rusty 3/8 Whitworth bolt as a hinge pin. The intact lug has the correct shouldered stand bolt but forcing a standard UNF nut onto its 26 TPI thread means this has also been consigned to the scrap bin.

I paste below a PhotoBucket link showing the knackered lug, sadly done after the frame had been quite well painted. As I know little of the possibilities of welding could anybody with this knowledge advise if it is feasible to salvage something from this and redrill and tap 26 TPI, or would a replacement lug need to be located and welded in place ? If so, any sugestions on sourcing would be appreciated. I live near Fleet, Hampshire so also would welcome any recommendation of a firm capable of doing this type of welding work.

** Please log in to view **

Cornish Rooster
Area Rep
Club Member
Forum Posts: 3314
October 10, 2011 - 4:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Pete,

Don't be put off, sure this could be done with basic hand tools as mentioned on previous post, bit of one inch flat steel or similar, cut and file to shape, or angle grinder if you have one ,either drill and tap or get the right size nut and get that welded on the back of your new lug, then get some local welding place to put it all together onto the frame. I quite often make up odd brackets and bits and pieces sometimes quicker, easier and cheaper than trying to source the part elsewhere.

Phil

BSA Bantam D1 "150" in use regularly often as general purpose transport, quite a few other bikes as well. Cornwall Area Rep. 

lazybandittattoo
Guests
October 10, 2011 - 6:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Where abouts in the world are you? I'm sure a little job like that you can find someone who will do it for love (or maybe a beer?) Are you anywhere near Halifax?

PeteMcD
Top Gear User
Site Member
October 11, 2011 - 9:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks guys, have located a local welding outfit who hope to have it sorted by the end of the week - fingers crossed !
You various inputs much appreciated.
Brgds,
Pete

PeteMcD
Top Gear User
Site Member
October 28, 2011 - 10:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just to check out the new forum system for adding to an old thread, although now relegated to page two and no longer viewable as such, I'm adding a "blind" update to my D14 stand saga via the "reply" feature to see what happens.

A new lug was fabricated and drilled with a pilot hole before being welded to the cast iron hub unit as kindly suggested in my earlier thread. I then reamed it out further and tapped it to take new stand bolts. I was quite pleased with the result as shown below:

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/PeteMcD/DSC_0005.jpg

Problems arose however when I came to fit the stand back on, the legs were misaligned by about 1/2 " and the two lugs had a toe-in of nearly 10 degrees ! I double checked the alignment of the newly welded lug and it was spot on, the problem was a baly twisted stand which I had not noticed earlier as it had been pristinely powder coat painted, as had the original lug prior to it being broken and botch brazed.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/PeteMcD/Standlugs.jpg

I suspect it was an attempt to force fit the twisted stand that had done the damage in the first place. However brute force and a propane torch have returned the stand to a reasonable degree of alignment and it has all gone back together quite nicely, another job ticked off the growing list of faults I am discovering - the joys of eBay buying !

PeteMcD
Top Gear User
Site Member
October 28, 2011 - 10:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow ! - it works ! Begs the question now whether the page 2/3 non-viewable threads are a web problem or a design feature ?

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: kiwi bantam, chickensoup, Bee175, Mick W, toppo46, carpetralph
14 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

Anderzander: 3208

bart: 3139

cocorico: 2921

Sprung Chicken: 2650

Mags 1: 2613

David Dale: 2490

Munchkin: 2227