A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
D14 Sports - in blue?
PatricB
Belfast
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 38
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 30, 2019 - 9:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just wondering if anyone can verify (or otherwise) that a certain number of D14 Sports Bantams left the factory in a blue colour scheme, rather than the traditional Flamboyant Red?

I have seen the odd one on EBay, as well as owning one myself, many moons ago. I know that Howard at Bournemouth Bantams owns/owned a blue one too, although I think that was an ultra-rare D13 Sports.

Mine appeared to have the original paintwork, in metallic blue, although it also had a Bushman/GPO style tank without cutouts for the badges. I got my 1968 bike in 1989 and it had spent the vast majority of its life in a shed. It was taxed in 1972, then taken off the road with only 3000 miles on the clock. Its hard to believe it would have been resprayed to such a high standard during such a short active life.

If such fabled beasts were a reality, did they have a fly screen fitted originally, and was it blue as well? Imagine the rarity of that item!!!bantam5.jpg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Current bikes: 1968 D14/4 Sports, 1974 Triumph T100R Daytona.

mikef
Chatham Kent
Club Technical Advisor
Committee
Forum Posts: 803
April 30, 2019 - 10:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Patric.
       I think your best course is to send an e-mail or message to the dating officer, quoting frame and engine numbers.
I thought that all sport models were red but stand to be corrected.
I have never seen a fuel tank like yours, chromed sides and no tank badge recess, but who knows?
The side panel decal, I would think is from an earlier model. The D14/4S had a specific decal.
Quite a mystery, just wish it could talk. It would probably have a tale to tell.
Have fun with it.
                Mike.

PatricB
Belfast
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 38
April 30, 2019 - 10:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

mikef said
Hi Patric.
       I think your best course is to send an e-mail or message to the dating officer, quoting frame and engine numbers.
I thought that all sport models were red but stand to be corrected.
I have never seen a fuel tank like yours, chromed sides and no tank badge recess, but who knows?
The side panel decal, I would think is from an earlier model. The D14/4S had a specific decal.
Quite a mystery, just wish it could talk. It would probably have a tale to tell.
Have fun with it.
                Mike.  

Mike, I no longer have the blue Sports, I sold it many years ago. I do have a nice red one now, but I often think of how odd my old blue one was and hoping someone could shed some light on such a mysterious machine. I saw an almost identical one on eBay a while ago, same colour and side panel decals. Very peculiar!

Current bikes: 1968 D14/4 Sports, 1974 Triumph T100R Daytona.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: carpetralph
9 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

Anderzander: 3208

bart: 3134

cocorico: 2970

Sprung Chicken: 2650