A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
D14 LH Side Panel Fit
PeteMcD
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 97
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 9, 2011 - 1:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Progress with my D14 project has ambled on at a gentle pace over the last few weeks. Dodgy brakes, broken stand lug, and incorrectly soldered switch socket connections all sorted and a rebored engine with new bearings, seals and clutch parts fitted back in the frame. Total delight after a few priming strokes when the engine burst into life filling the garage with dense blue smoke as it burnt off excess assembly oil before settling into the familiar Bantam ratterty clack that I’d not heard for a very long time. Presently on a temporary model aircraft fuel tank whilst its original undergoes a dire internal rust removal process.

Moving on to more minor aspects I find extreme difficulty fitting the left hand side panel (tool box) to its back plate. The front lower zeus type fitting engages reasonably well but the rear one doesn’t seem long enough to properly fit the clip in the back plate. I’m not sure whether these are pattern replacements or refurbished originals but the back plate has a definite twist in it whereas the right side is straight and when fitted to the frame is parallel with the axis of the bike. The left side needs the “twist” to fit the frame attachment points but this puts it a few degrees off parallel. The assembly as shown in the parts manual makes this inevitable but to my mind this is causing the difficult fit for the cover fasteners.

I paste below some photos showing the present set up. Before I start reshaping things and making spacers to achieve what I think is a more logical arrangement can anyone confirm whether this is the correct shape for the left side back plate or suggest any other aspects that might be amiss.

Brgds,

Pete

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/PeteMcD/LHBackPlate.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/PeteMcD/LHBackPlateShape.jpg

Cornish Rooster
Area Rep
Club Member
Forum Posts: 3314
November 9, 2011 - 2:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Don't know anything about D14's but I can tell you the toolbox fasteners come in different lengths, I believe they are actually called "Oddie Clips" and nothing to do with that wee fat bloke who does Springwatch either.
I appreciate you have done a good job with the painting but lets face it the parts in your photos don't exactly look like they must have done when the bike rolled out of the BSA factory, God knows how much bending, twisting and general abuse they have been subjected to over the last 40 years or so. Probably someone lost some spacers or washers over the years and just "made them fit" seems like you will have to do the same or make up some spacers or whatever, I don't find it unusual to have to make up some of my own brackets and odds and ends, thats why I have a stock of various types of steel laying in the corner of my garage.
maybe somone with a D14 can help you out more, other than that " make em fit" !!!!

Phil

BSA Bantam D1 "150" in use regularly often as general purpose transport, quite a few other bikes as well. Cornwall Area Rep. 

Sprung Chicken
Glasgow,Scotland
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 2650
November 10, 2011 - 10:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Pete, the spacers on the through bolts are of different lengths.
I think the longer ones go to the offside of the machine,so that the air intake hose has room
to reach the carb.
From the photos,it gives the impression that you have two panels from one side - left hand inners.
the R.H. inner should have a small circular hole for the intake hose plus 3 locating lugs for the traingular air filter.

Dougie;Glasgow ;Scotland.
1955 D1, 1970 B175

chappiness
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 133
November 11, 2011 - 6:24 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Quote from Sprung Chicken on November 10, 2011, 22:52
Pete, the spacers on the through bolts are of different lengths.
I think the longer ones go to the offside of the machine,so that the air intake hose has room
to reach the carb.
From the photos,it gives the impression that you have two panels from one side - left hand inners.
the R.H. inner should have a small circular hole for the intake hose plus 3 locating lugs for the traingular air filter.

Those pictured are a pair of lefts , but also this bike isn.t using a side air filter,
left side on the d14 uses the half turn clip , right side uses a chrome top hat nut ,
chris

Bantam D7 1963, BSA B25 SS 1971. 1960 Tiger cub. 1963 BSA A65 650. 1961 Triumph speedtwin 5TA 1960 Tiumph 3TA. 2007 Kawasaki Versys. 1998 Suzuki bandit , 210 Villiers Zip kart. 1967 D10 Bushman

PeteMcD
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 97
November 11, 2011 - 10:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks guys. I took CR's advice and "made it fit" ! Following a little strategic bashing and twisting and some minor adjustment to the spacers and fasteners, the left hand panel now clips in very smoothly, just as it is supposed to.

My composite photo was just the LH back plate, showing both sides of it, the RH panel with the screw fits was never a problem. Having become what I think is the third off-the-road owner of this D14 I'm having to find out the hard way just what has been done in the past and to what standard, past input seems to have been centred on sperficial bright and shiny without much emphasis on mechanical aspects, the engine was in a sorry state. The black frame parts were all nicely powder coated but some bits horrendously out of alignment and force fitted. The centre stand a prime example - superbly painted but so distorted that past owner had broken the mounting lug in a botched attempt to fit it. Getting back to the LH side panel, I just needed confirmation of how it was meant to look before trying to starighten it.

The end is however in sight, just the tank awaiting rust-proof curing before MOT and hopefully back on the road for the first time in a decade. Various cosmetic bits still need attention but they can wait.

Brgds,

Pete

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: Mags 1, malj
32 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

Anderzander: 3209

bart: 3142