A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
D14 Kickstart
PeteMcD
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 97
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 9, 2011 - 3:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The kickstart on my D14 project occasionally jams in the upright position - locked solid ! Putting the bike into gear and gently rocking quickly clears this - until the next time. I think I read something on this on the old forum before I discovered I had this problem so suspect it might be a regular fault, but with the present site refurbishment I can't acess past info. Whilst the engine is out of the frame for a likely welding job it seems a good opportunity to sort it properly.

Any advice appreciated.

PeteMcD
Forum User
Site Member
October 11, 2011 - 9:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

In the absence of any words of wisdom, dismantling revealed that the spring disc, the 5 hole plate behind the kickstart spring, was entirely missing. I think this might have allowed excessive float on the quadrant causing occasional jam aginst the starter sprocket. Awaiting replacement from T&G and hope this will solve the problem.

Somerstown
Guests
October 12, 2011 - 6:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It will be interesting to hear the result? I have a D14 that has on occasions had a similar problem, but I have the plate with the holes fitted.

nick
Surrey
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 17
October 12, 2011 - 6:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had this problem when I tried to leave out primary cover gasket & use instant gasket instead, had to fit a new gasket then problem solved I now use a new gasket every time I have the cover off

Somerstown
Guests
October 12, 2011 - 7:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That could well be the answer Nick! I now have a thicker gasket, purchased from C&D, than the one I fitted before from another supplier. Also the problem has not reappeared. 🙂

PeteMcD
Forum User
Site Member
October 12, 2011 - 9:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Regardless of my spring plate theory, the thicker gasket sounds a distinct possibility, in as much as I purposely achieved a "jam" before starting to dismantle. It was jammed right up to the point that I lifted the cover and then it disappeared and I'm damned if I can reproduce it again. Will reassemble with both the spring plate AND a thicker gasket as suggested. Many thanks.

HOWEVER ……….. having spent an unsuccessful afternoon trying to split the crankcase progress has ground to a holt. Once I tapped out the two hollow dowels from the mounting lugs the case started to separate but won’t budge beyond a 3/8” gap. It seems tight on the crankshaft bearings and no amount of coaxing seems to prevail. Packed in for the night in sheer frustration. In a previous lifetime my old D3 used to come apart so easily.

Any ideas PLEASE ?

DoubleDiamond
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 127
October 12, 2011 - 11:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Quote from PeteMcD on October 12, 2011, 21:42
HOWEVER ……….. having spent an unsuccessful afternoon trying to split the crankcase progress has ground to a holt. Once I tapped out the two hollow dowels from the mounting lugs the case started to separate but won’t budge beyond a 3/8” gap. It seems tight on the crankshaft bearings and no amount of coaxing seems to prevail. Packed in for the night in sheer frustration. In a previous lifetime my old D3 used to come apart so easily.

Any ideas PLEASE ?

You may need to make a suitable puller (pusher) to get the cases seperated. Its possible that loctite was used on the shafts by the previous owner. What you don't want is indiscriminate use of the hammer or attempt to prize the two halves appart!

Somerstown
Guests
October 13, 2011 - 1:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

"If you can't fix it with a hammer you have an electric problem". 😉

More sensibly, have you tried heat? Hot rags around the crankcases might help?

PeteMcD
Forum User
Site Member
October 13, 2011 - 5:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks DD and Somers. Another day, another challenge !

I managed to rig up a puller on the generator side using the stator studs and a bit of heat. It was hard going, a millemeter at a time, with lots of squeaks until it cleared the shaft. Doesn't seem to have had Loctite on it, just a little microscopic pitting. Unfortunately the clutch side still won't budge and I don't have a puller large enough to go round the crankcase half and am reluctant to knock on the cam shaft even with a protective bolt in the end. At least it has allowed me to check the gearbox and bearings which all seem good.

Decision now is whether to leave replacing the right hand seals or take it somewhere with more substantial workshop gear to allow completing the job properly, having gone so far I guess the latter.

A few more points have arisen but I'll start another subject thread for these - what fun !

Cheers,

Pete

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: Mags 1, malj
33 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

Anderzander: 3209

bart: 3142