A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
D14 engine lubrication
Neily
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 11
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 2, 2019 - 11:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi all

I am new to owning a D14/4 .is engine lubed by oil fuel mixture and if so what ratio please.also what is best oil for gearbox?

Thankyou

Stoo63
GLASGOW
Area Rep
Forum Posts: 341
December 2, 2019 - 11:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Neily and welcome to the forum. There is a vast amount of info available here and your questions are probably the most commonly asked. There are a million(and more) opinions on the subject of oils and mixtures.Your best bet is to google "fuel mix d14 bantam forum" and you will get loads of results like this....** Please log in to view **

That should keep you going for a while. Just replace "fuel mix" with " gearbox oil" for your other or any other query. Yes the engine is lubricated by the petroil mix.

It's best to do a little intro- tell us where you are etc, so that if there are any members near you, they can perhaps help out.

similarly photos are very handy. Check here ** Please log in to view **

All the best

Stewart

'52 D1 direct lighting plunger, '58 Square Four (project), '59 D1 direct lighting plunger,  '59 Tiger Cub, '60 5TA,  '76 FS1-E

AdrianS
Harlaston Staffs
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 97
December 3, 2019 - 2:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you have got the original petrol cap then that has a measure underneath it. 25:1 is (was) recommended but with modern high quality 2 stroke oils I think it is safe to use slightly less oil in the petrol.  Also remember that as the petroil mix is used to lubricate inside the engine, don't shut the throttle off going down a long steep hill - you cut off the lubrication of the engine.

As for gearbox oil, I don't think the box is too fussy. I think the handbook recommended 40w oil but I use ( and have used for many years in all my BSA bikes ) cheap 20w50 oil and never had any problems! 

You will get lots of different opinions!!

Neily
Second Gear User
Club Member
December 3, 2019 - 8:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

AdrianS said
If you have got the original petrol cap then that has a measure underneath it. 25:1 is (was) recommended but with modern high quality 2 stroke oils I think it is safe to use slightly less oil in the petrol.  Also remember that as the petroil mix is used to lubricate inside the engine, don't shut the throttle off going down a long steep hill - you cut off the lubrication of the engine.

As for gearbox oil, I don't think the box is too fussy. I think the handbook recommended 40w oil but I use ( and have used for many years in all my BSA bikes ) cheap 20w50 oil and never had any problems! 

You will get lots of different opinions!!  

Thankyou both.Names Neil and I live in North Essex near Halstead..Colchester. be great to hear from some local Bantam fellas!

Peterg
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1183
December 4, 2019 - 9:45 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

BSA amended their recommendation to 33:1 after running in but to be honest they are pretty agricultural and you don't need to go over board to get the exact ratio. Close enough is more than enough for a Bantam.

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1969
December 4, 2019 - 11:48 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

All I do on going down long hills is blimp the throttle wide-open every so often on the decent....easy to get into a weak running situation using part open throttle on long hills.

Use a proper measure for your oil...the ratio is not mega important as long as its got aprox 30/40 to one if using modern semi-synthetic 2 stroke oil.

The handbook will tell you to use SAE 40 oil in the gearbox and change it every 1000mls...as well as lubing the gearbox it lubes the crankshaft bearings.

Nick.

My Bantam video              https://www.you.....jpOFmzRZRI

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 3192
December 4, 2019 - 5:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I question the 'downhill problem'. Most of the oil in the pre-mix fuel is compressed out of the petrol inside the crankcase, where it lubricates the big end, bearings and under surfaces of the piston & rings. Any oil that reaches the combustion chamber should be burnt and pass through the exhaust, so very little lubrication of the piston from above. When going downhill on a closed throttle, there remains oil in the crankcase to carry on with the lubrication, plus a small amount from however much the bike takes on closed throttle. You would need a very long hill to use it all, in my opinion. But anyone who prefers to blip the throttle should carry on if they find it reassuring, of course.

1956 D3 running, lights to sort. 7 other bikes in the Barn, including a Morini 250 now insured and on road testing.

Neily
Second Gear User
Club Member
December 7, 2019 - 11:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My intro wasnt good. My name is Neil.  Always loved old bikes.I live in the colchester area of Essex  I have just restored 3 Raleigh runabouts and a Mobylette in process to concourse. I have bOUGHT A BSA Bantam D14 and it has electronic ignition and 12v.  I want to put it back to factory i think but need bits and thoughts. cheers

Mick W
Chester/ North Wales Flintshire Border
Forum Posts: 911
December 7, 2019 - 12:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Neil

Welcome to the forum. Think we have spoken (written) on the Facebook page. 

Have a good look around you will find a wealth of info on here.

Mick

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1969
December 7, 2019 - 5:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You sound just like me Neily....a compulsive tinkerer....keep up the good work.

My Bantam video              https://www.you.....jpOFmzRZRI

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: robbo, TallGuy
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

Anderzander: 3208

cocorico: 3192

bart: 3135