A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
D14 electrex world alternator output
Ranald
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 35
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 25, 2021 - 7:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi, I noticed that with the engine running I was only getting a steady 12.3 volts measured across the battery terminals.  The battery is good and holds a 12.6 plus voltage after charging.  I would have expected around 14volts plus with the engine running.  I have followed the Electrex World fault diagnosis chart and the voltage regulator appears to be ok.  When I disconnected the regulator and checked the AC voltage coming from the two yellow wires from the Stator, one yellow wire had a voltage of 15 volts at idle and this voltage increased with rpm as expected.  The other yellow wire had a low fluctuating voltage of about 4 volts.  Would this cause the low voltage across the battery when the regulator is connected and the engine running?  I am starting to think the Stator may be faulty but would really appreciate any comments from some one who understands electrics before I take it all apart looking for a fault I can repair.  A new stator seems to be about £95 which I would like to avoid paying.  I have attached a video showing the test I did,

** Please log in to view **

Lone Wolf
The Black Country
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1291
May 25, 2021 - 8:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wotcha.

I would expect 13½ volts or more.

^..^

mikef
Chatham Kent
Club Technical Advisor
Committee
Forum Posts: 984
May 25, 2021 - 9:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Ranald.
        Some thought on the results of your tests.
The yellow wires from the electrex World stator will be AC. Therefore you will need measure the AC voltage between these two wires. They will not be referenced to earth(frame). Connect one terminal of the meter to one yellow wire and the other meter terminal to the other yellow wire. Hope that makes sense.
Unfortunately many digital meters don't like the spiky AC waveforms from these generators and give erroneous readings. A conclusive test for the generator would be to connect a 12V headlamp bulb across the yellow wires and see if it lights up. Keep the revs down or it may blow the bulb.
Another thought, was the 12.3V reading across the battery with the lights on or off? What wattage headlamp bulb do you use?
Many digital meters give erroneous DC voltage readings across a battery due to the spiky charging voltages from a generator.
Does the battery run down if you ride with the headlamp on? What wattage is your headlamp bulb?
Sorry for all the questions.
         Mike.

Ranald
Second Gear User
Club Member
May 25, 2021 - 11:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Mike, I will try and investigate further tomorrow, thanks for your info I will connect a bulb across the two yellow wires and take a voltage reading. The 12.3 reading was with the lights off.  I use led lights with low wattage.  I haven’t worked out if the battery runs down if I ride with the headlights on.  I was just concerned that the voltage across the battery was low with the engine running and not high enough to charge it up to 12.6 volts plus.  I will feed back when I have investigated further, thanks for the info.

mikef
Chatham Kent
Club Technical Advisor
Committee
May 26, 2021 - 7:57 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just seen your reply and notice that you are using LED bulbs. For the test on the AC output from the generator don't use an LED bulb only use a conventional filament bulb as most LED bulbs are only DC.
You probably knew that but just thought I'd mention it.

mikef
Chatham Kent
Club Technical Advisor
Committee
May 26, 2021 - 12:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just another thought, did you cut the blue loop wire on the rectifier regulator for 12V operation.
Probably you have but sometimes gets forgotten.

Ranald
Second Gear User
Club Member
May 26, 2021 - 3:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Mike, yes the blue wire has been cut.  I didn’t have a spare headlight bulb so I used an indicator bulb about 21w rating.  I’ll attach a link to today’s test.  The voltage seems okay to me from the Alternator, I’m staring to think the regulator is reducing the voltage too much?  Do you think it would be ok just to leave things as they are with the regulator only providing 12.3 volts at the battery?? Any thoughts welcomed.  I’ve got to leave it alone for a few days now due to work, but will let you know how it pans out 😃

mikef
Chatham Kent
Club Technical Advisor
Committee
May 26, 2021 - 3:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

That seems to prove that the generator is working.
12.3V at the battery when it's supposed to be charging does seem low. I would have expected 14+ volts.
If all of the connections to the battery are good then it suggests that the regulator is not working but as I said, the readings from a multimeter can sometimes be misleading.
You will soon know if the battery voltage continues to fall when the lights are turned on with the engine running.
Good luck.
          Mike.

Ranald
Second Gear User
Club Member
May 26, 2021 - 4:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for your help Mike much appreciated 👍

mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1647
May 26, 2021 - 5:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You are not the first to have problems with Eec/World battery charging
you could have a read through this

or jump
to this page

D? - D10- D14 Bantams 350 AJS -500 Triumph http://bsanotru.....lfire.com/

Ranald
Second Gear User
Club Member
May 26, 2021 - 6:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mike - that last link sums it all up nicely.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: stubaker58, Stoo63, John14
16 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3320

Cornish Rooster: 2917

Blue Heeler: 2435

bart: 2428

David Dale: 2144