A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
D14 clutch basket
SpacedMarine
Up north
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 356
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 20, 2019 - 12:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Has anyone else had problems with worn teeth on the clutch ratchet mechanism?

Replaced my quadrant and pinion gear as they were both mangled.However I replaced the plates and springs for rex caunt items while the engine was apart now the ratchet on the back of the clutch seems to be the weakest link.(couldn't make it up!) I thought I had put it together incorrectly but have had it apart and back together twice now and the same problem.Thr kickstart engages but just seems to be slipping on the ratchet.

Would the new plates and springs have anything to do with it other than exposing the weakness of the ratchet.Felt like crying at one point with it(I didn't but felt like it 😁).Itll start if I bump start it and the gearbox seems ok (which was why it was apart in the first place) just the damn kickstart now 🤯🤯🤯🤯

I have bought another pinion which looks ok but I'm thinking the ratchet on the back of the clutch has had it.

What's 7/16 in mm again?

mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1523
May 20, 2019 - 4:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

have you got the ratchet spring fitted properly
the teeth on the clutch can get quite badly worn before they Jump bottom photo they were still just about holding
so not sure what you mean by slipping

clutch-retchet.jpg

bad1a.jpg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

D? - D10- D14 Bantams 350 AJS -500 Triumph http://bsanotru.....lfire.com/

SpacedMarine
Up north
Forum User
Site Member
May 20, 2019 - 6:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You know what Mike my spring has never been held on like that!Jumping is probably a more accurate description. That could possibly be the issue.😁.

The cup on mine has always just been resting against the bearing!The thing is it always worked perfectly even so.The extra clutch grip/drag with the stiffer springs may have  caused it this needing the extra spring pressure. 

You may have just made my day!

What's 7/16 in mm again?

not henpecked
Near J 11 of M42
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 241
May 20, 2019 - 7:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Spacedmarine

I not sure whether you have an exploded diagramme of the clutch basket assembly but I fould the spares catalogue shows all the bits and I'm sure you will be able to work out how it all goes together. The one thing that might be missing from your assembly is the wire circlip - I mislaid mine on the bench and only found it with a magnet - typical....! Also check the dished spring retaining washer, mine was worn and got another from Rex Caunt.

Hope this helps

B175, being updated & now much closer to completion. Honda XBR 500, and ....... Suzuki Burgman 200 scoot! Nicknamed "The hair dryer" - by me I hasted to add; & great storage under the seat when you get to your destination.

SpacedMarine
Up north
Forum User
Site Member
May 20, 2019 - 7:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

not henpecked said
Hi Spacedmarine

I not sure whether you have an exploded diagramme of the clutch basket assembly but I fould the spares catalogue shows all the bits and I'm sure you will be able to work out how it all goes together. The one thing that might be missing from your assembly is the wire circlip - I mislaid mine on the bench and only found it with a magnet - typical....! Also check the dished spring retaining washer, mine was worn and got another from Rex Caunt.

Hope this helps  

Thanks.I have the circlip however all it was holding on was the pinion sprocket.The cupped washer was just resting in the gap against the bearing where the thrust washer for the basket is.It was like that when I first pulled it apart so I assumed that was the way it went.I have a parts manual and had what I thought was a good look when putting it back together. The only thing I think may have happened is the cupped washer is worn and has slipped over the clip although I think more likely is it was put in incorrectly in the past as it has already had a new quadrant at some point as the previously mangled one was in a box of spares that came with the bike.

What's 7/16 in mm again?

Mick W
Chester/ North Wales Flintshire Border
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 748
May 20, 2019 - 7:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Have a look at this mod carried out by a previous member ** Please log in to view **

Mick

SpacedMarine
Up north
Forum User
Site Member
May 20, 2019 - 7:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mick W said
Have a look at this mod carried out by a previous member ** Please log in to view **

Mick  

External circlip looks like it could be the answer!

What's 7/16 in mm again?

mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Forum User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1523
May 20, 2019 - 11:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

if you do use an external circlip make sure the ratchet fully disengages and is not coil bound
early springs were a lighter gauge and work with a circlip later ones seem to be stronger and heavier and will not compress sufficiently

D? - D10- D14 Bantams 350 AJS -500 Triumph http://bsanotru.....lfire.com/

SpacedMarine
Up north
Forum User
Site Member
May 20, 2019 - 11:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ta Mike I'll work it out.Im hoping it is just that  Its all buttoned up at the minute and has a few other niggles at the moment but have a day off tomorrow so can get stuff apart and have a good tinker I'll let you know how I get on 👍🏼

What's 7/16 in mm again?

SpacedMarine
Up north
Forum User
Site Member
June 13, 2019 - 3:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well it seems it was the cup washer had slipped over the circlip!Screenshot_20190613-145900_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190613-145905_Gallery.jpg

Pretty mangled and unsalvageable so I turned a large washer to the right internal diameter and bingo!

Screenshot_20190613-145908_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190613-145910_Gallery.jpgSeems to have done the job and cant be any worse than before.Kickstart seems nice and positive!I'd call that fixed.Can get on with something else now 😜Screenshot_20190613-145919_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20190613-145915_Gallery.jpg

What's 7/16 in mm again?

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Forum User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1784
June 13, 2019 - 10:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Remember making one of those for mine.

My Bantam video              https://www.you.....jpOFmzRZRI

SpacedMarine