A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
D14 Bolt Sizes
Rich_T
Dumfries & Galloway
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 63
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 31, 2019 - 10:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Blue, thread files are awesome and somewhat under used these days, mines get me out of trouble on more than one occasion too. One of the problems with mine is that previous owners seem to have favoured replacing original nuts and bolts with any old tat from B&Q and they must have had an ulimited supply of square nuts too. The bolts that screw into captive threads are mainly all there, except for the ones they've forced a metric bolt into!!!

Rich 

Blue Heeler
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2543
January 31, 2019 - 10:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good to find another fan of the thread file 🙂

Sounds like you need to look out for a job-lot of old nuts and bolts.....got a double shoebox full of Bantam ones off ebay the other year. I`ve also been collecting them for 45 years in various trades(ag/h-plant/civ eng/cars/bikes etc)and been given loads, even some from WW2 aircraft.... have buckets and tins full of the things....but I often still have to buy some.

Sounds like your bike was owned by a Meccano fan....call me fussy, but I don`t like to see fully threaded bolts where a shank should be either 🙁

Blue

Rich_T
Dumfries & Galloway
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 63
January 31, 2019 - 10:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ha, dont get me started on fully threaded bolts, there a real pet hate of mine

lbayorkie
North Yorkshire
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 536
May 31, 2020 - 11:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I need to clean up a couple of threads and can see that thread files come highly recommended, however I couldnt find a mention of what type to get. What would be most useful for a Bantam owner.

Thanks

Blue Heeler
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2543
May 31, 2020 - 12:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My thread file`s had a fair bit of use over the years. If I can find the tpi that sits nicely in the good portion of thread, and the bolt thread pitch isn`t a silly one, then thread files are a useful get out of jail tool(although if I were in jail I`d want a hacksaw smuggled in my cake)

Ideally, a nice set of dies is best and I`m still accumulating them. 

So summing up, a single thread file doesn`t fit everything but can really get you out of trouble in most cases...as can a jnr hacksaw. I need to up the ante re my thread repairing arsenal & get a full set of them, as in link below.

Here`s a set with good reviews...if indeed they are of the items listed? As far as my past experience is concerned, ebay`s bots have been known to mismatch reviews to items listed by individual sellers. ** Please log in to view **

Lone Wolf
The Black Country
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1316
June 2, 2020 - 1:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Blue Heeler said

Here`s a set with good reviews...if indeed they are of the items listed? As far as my past experience is concerned, ebay`s bots have been known to mismatch reviews to items listed by individual sellers. ** Please log in to view **

Wotcha.

Threads per inch covered are ;9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18, 20, 24, 27, 28 and 32

. . . . and cycle thread is 26 TPI

27 TPI is an odd one - useful if you are a fuel pipe fitter in the USA - NPTF  National Pipe Taper Fuel - not one I've ever come across.

^..^

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1580
June 5, 2020 - 2:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Rich T...its just the odd 1 or 2 that give that go look in the FAQ.

Pay no attention.....the helpful guys far outweigh the negativity....honest....but yes it is a very off-putting attitude your right.

Just ignore and enjoy...we are all here to help each other...I we do....as far as I know there are around 1800 members....takes all sorts as they say.

Nick from Cheshire.

My Bantam video              https://www.you.....jpOFmzRZRI

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

cocorico: 3309

Cornish Rooster: 3109

bart: 2685