A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
D14 Bolt Sizes
Rich_T
Dumfries & Galloway
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 63
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 25, 2019 - 2:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi there, 

Im planning on replacing most of the bolts on my bike with stainless and was wondering if there was a list anywhere showing size, thread and quantity of the nuts, bolts and washers. 

I'm a good way through creating a list using the parts catalogue and the dragonfly website but not every part number has a good enough description to properly identify it, especially where the cycle thread is concerned. 

Thanks 

BantamBaz
Second Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 15
January 25, 2019 - 2:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello, Have you looked under general technical in the site technical list. Seems to list most thread types.

Barrie.

Rich_T
Dumfries & Galloway
Top Gear User
Club Member
January 25, 2019 - 5:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I did have a look through there but couldnt find what I was looking for. 

I don't mind continuing with the spread sheet I'm doing, was just going for a short cut. Im certaing there doesnt need to be so many variations of nut, bolt and washers (75 so far), so hopefully I'll be able to rationalise it a bit. 

swalsh58
St. Mary's Bay, Kent
Club Dating Officer
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1233
January 25, 2019 - 6:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

BSA used whatever came to hand - Cycle thread, BA, BSF, BSW you name it, its probably on there. I reckon most Bantams being used will have some metric on there by now as well. There is a thread list in the members only area if its any use?

Current bikes......1958 D5, a 77 Suzuki GT250 and a 77 Honda CB125S. I have a 74 Kawasaki S3 400 and a B175 waiting for restoration. A 1980 Honda CB400N waiting for MOT.  Everyday ride is a 2011 Harley Davidson Sportster. 

Rich_T
Dumfries & Galloway
Top Gear User
Club Member
January 25, 2019 - 6:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Im not a member so can't access it unfortunately 

BantamBaz
Second Gear User
Club Member
January 25, 2019 - 7:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Worth a couple of bob to get the info.

Rich_T
Dumfries & Galloway
Top Gear User
Club Member
January 25, 2019 - 8:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

To be honest I was in the process of joing, right up until the point I got the obligatory new user 'go away and look at google' in response to a question about bsp threads. as if I was some kind of retard .So at the moment I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than pay to join a club with that attitude.

That being said, in the main I do like the forum and there seems to be some great guys on the forum but the club probably isnt for me. 

I am compiling a list which is almost complete,  just the last few to identify .

SpacedMarine
Up north
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 418
January 25, 2019 - 11:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Most of the bolts on my engine were 1/4 BSF a couple of 5/16 BSF on the engine mountings.I bought a bag of both of varying lengths and haven't really needed anything else.The mudguards ,tank etc. Were all 5/16 BSF.The only odd size I found was the carb flange bolts which were a finer thread(I'm assuming cycle threads although not sure.Other than the points cover bolts being slightly smaller 3/16??? That's about it.I found I could undo pretty much all the nuts and bolts apart from the rear wheel nuts with one spanner and a couple of Allen keys not that I did as that would have been pretty laborious but you get the idea 😁

What's 7/16 in mm again?

mike p5xbx
E-Sussex
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 1562
January 26, 2019 - 5:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Rich_T said
To be honest I was in the process of joing, right up until the point I got the obligatory new user 'go away and look at google' in response to a question about bsp threads. as if I was some kind of retard .So at the moment I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than pay to join a club with that attitude.
That being said, in the main I do like the forum and there seems to be some great guys on the forum but the club probably isnt for me. 

Really Sorry to hear that
but the regular Forum Members are a friendly helpful lot so if there are any nut/bolt sizes you are still looking for im sure someone will try to help

Mike

D? - D10- D14 Bantams 350 AJS -500 Triumph http://bsanotru.....lfire.com/

BantamBaz
Second Gear User
Club Member
January 26, 2019 - 5:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm surprised that you had what you perceive as a bad reply. I've only been a member for a few months & have had nothing but positive feedback from other members. As I said in my first reply, worth a few bob for the info & support.

Barrie.

swalsh58
St. Mary's Bay, Kent
Club Dating Officer
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1233
January 26, 2019 - 6:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Rich_T said

I assume a person replied to you, not ‘the club’ as an entity, so ‘the club’ cannot display an attitude as it has made no reply. I can also assure you that there is no ‘obligatory new user go away’ type posts that are posted to new forum members. You quite right, there are some great guys on the forum, and there are some great guys in the club too. You shouldn’t think everyone is the same just because they are in the same club. Always assuming of course that the person who posted it is also a club member as well as a forum member. However, if you feel the reply was unhelpful or rude then I can only say I am sorry you feel that way.

Finally, bear in mind I did not see the reply to your post which you are referring to, so my comments are general in nature. Of course your under no pressure to join, the choice is yours and you are completely welcome to use the forum as a non club member.  

Current bikes......1958 D5, a 77 Suzuki GT250 and a 77 Honda CB125S. I have a 74 Kawasaki S3 400 and a B175 waiting for restoration. A 1980 Honda CB400N waiting for MOT.  Everyday ride is a 2011 Harley Davidson Sportster. 

Mistgreen53
Rotherham S. Yorks
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 113
January 26, 2019 - 7:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi There.                                                                                                                                                                                                          If the bike is complete (bolts etc), why not do as I have done.  eg: rear shockers, assuming top and bottom bolts are the same, remove 1,measure diameter, length of shank, and overall length. If all the same X by the number rerquired and buy complete with nuts and  washers. Do the same with the mudguards etc. Should get you what you need!! You could then make a list for any future rebuild/s.

hope-that-helps

Graham

D1 '59 on the road.  D1 '55 undergoing restoration. D1 '53 on the back-burner.

cocorico
Central France
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2927
January 26, 2019 - 9:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

OK, I've found the comment that offended you (in someone else's restoration topic).

Your question was "Is 1/4 gas thread the same as BSP? Adding a reserve is something I will do to mine ."

My response was "Try Google - there's lots of info on there. Usually quicker too."

Going back to the forum index, in the 2nd topic down (Tech archive (FAQ)) is the request "Please check here first, before posting your question, it may have already been answered!"

Looking through the index, I come to : ** Please log in to view **

Looking down that, lo and behold, in post 8, pipe threads.

Google was, in fact, far quicker and as quick as posting your question.

If you think my posts are obstructive or insulting, please report them instead of making snide remarks, or aren't I allowed to say that?

1956 D3 awaiting a new magneto. 7 other bikes in the Barn, 6 runners and a still in progress Morini 250

Rich_T
Dumfries & Galloway
Top Gear User
Club Member
January 27, 2019 - 9:08 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Of course you're allowed to say that, you're the boss. 

Mistgreen53, thats probably the way I'll go, I'm sure there doesn't need to be such a variation of threads and sizes, except where it goes into a captive thread so I'll end up rationalising it down to a sensible number of variations and of course, when done id happily share. 

For the mudguard bolts and the ones which hold the rear light/number plate bracket on, I've got hold of some slotted slot headed stainless bolts which should look tidier than the hex heads that are meant to be there .

Now the next decision is do I put the new bolts in the lathe and remove the markings on the head or is that just being a bit to ocd!!!

Sponge
Lancashire (A chip shop somewhere near Preston)
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 130
January 27, 2019 - 10:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Rich_T,

I like a plain bolt head and have been known to remove the markings with a file.......but it is your bike and therefore up to you mate.

Anecdote: Talking of OCD  ( or just being a tight-fisted so and so )  - I recently did some work on an outwardly nice looking BSA and was surprised to find that all of the beautiful chromed nuts were metric - I had to use my metric spanners on all of the nuts but not the bolt heads (weird).  Thinking that a previous owner had decided to carry out a complete metric conversion ( why ?)  I was further dismayed to discover that the stud threads were still Imperial (BSF and BSW). So with a metric hex head size and imperial threads the only conclusion I cam come to is that the tight fisted git had decided to use cheap chromed, slightly undersize metric fasteners - had drilled out the metric nuts and had re-tapped them with an imperial tap !!   Either too tight to shell out on a set of imperial spanners or he/she had a ready supply of chromed metric nuts and wanted to use them.   There may be another reason but it beats me !!! 

I replaced them all with correct sized stainless from D Middleton. A proper job, will never rust, and at least my imperial spanners fit the bolt/nut heads now.   I am a bit OCD about fastenings. 

I was also wondering if original fastenings (sometimes still in good but grimy condition), can be cleaned up with an ultrasonic cleaner machine ........ does anybody know ??

Strength and honour

Sponge

Rich_T
Dumfries & Galloway
Top Gear User
Club Member
January 27, 2019 - 11:14 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ive actually tried some in an ultrasonic cleaner, it works to a degree but not really that well. Id thought about replating the originals but as you say, stainless wont rust. 

I do have a thing about markings on bolt heads, I replaced a lot of the fasteners on my old tractor with stainless and the head markings on that drive me mad lol. 

Goung back to your metric headed imperial fasteners, the ones I got for my tractor fit a metric spanner better than an imperial one, so it could be down to modern production methods. That or he rwally was tight....

sunny
Norfolk
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1248
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
January 27, 2019 - 11:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

for cleaning   try a FILE  CARD    then  pllated

nickjaxe
Runcorn Cheshire UK
Top Gear User
Club Member
Forum Posts: 1868
January 31, 2019 - 9:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Rich lots of cracking guys on this forum...I have learnt so much from them and made friends with some.

To me its a small price for all the info that available as a member...I would have been lost without it.

The other very good thing about being a member is the 10% discount we get on out spare parts....inc in the membership is a very good mag delivered to your door.

Otherwise the forum is free and lots of willing helpers.

Nick.

My Bantam video              https://www.you.....jpOFmzRZRI

Blue Heeler
Top Gear User
Site Member
Forum Posts: 2139
January 31, 2019 - 9:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Rich_T said
Ive actually tried some in an ultrasonic cleaner, it works to a degree but not really that well. Id thought about replating the originals but as you say, stainless wont rust.....

If it`s difficult to find stainless replacements for some bolts and you choose the replating option, I would recommend cleaning any rusted or slightly damaged bolt threads with a thread fille if you don`t have a die to run down them. I run a tap through slightly dodgy nuts and dress any slight rounding of the hex with a file, then wire wheel any rust off if necessary.My old thread file has got me out of a few fixes,especially Bantam and Cub rear wheel spindle threads. It`s one of my favourite bits of kit.

2nd hand taps available at several seasonal carboot sales I attend/online sales too. I`ve built up quite a collection of taps and dies to cover several old thread types. 

Blue

Rich_T
Dumfries & Galloway
Top Gear User
Club Member
January 31, 2019 - 10:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nick, you're probably right in what you say and for the reasons you mention I was about to join, the membership fee is very reasonable in my opinion. I just find it odd that posting is actively discouraged, just look at many of the intro threads, within a few posts a new member is instructed how and where to search the forum and advised that if they can't find an answer then they may post a new thread. The only problem with this is the info may be 5 years old and since the faq was written its possible that perhaps better techniques or new products are now available. Forums in the main are being replaced by the likes of Facebook , so treating them like a library has to be another nail in their coffin. Obviously if the same question gets posted on a daily basis then it becomes annoying but asking a question that was asked a year or so ago isn't really hurting anyone and surely help keep a forum active .

I'll happily keep posting in my D14 thread and hopefully some of the stuff in there helps others out or at least provides something to read  

Rich

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 223

Currently Online: sunny, ZZ
15 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Cornish Rooster: 3314

Anderzander: 3208

bart: 3139

cocorico: 2927